ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » switching from bindings to client mode

switching from bindings to client mode « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mq__quest
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: switching from bindings to client mode Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hello guys,

I'm trying to understand what an application on WAS jvms need to change while switching from bindings mode to client mode in connecting to ibm mq. Appreciate any help.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Here is an article about this topic with an interesting twist.

The dude's shirt is truly outrageous but...
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: switching from bindings to client mode Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mq__quest wrote:
I'm trying to understand what an application on WAS jvms need to change while switching from bindings mode to client mode in connecting to ibm mq. Appreciate any help.

If not using MDBs you'll need to catch MQRC 2009 and MQRC 2538 errors and deal with them, as explained HERE.
mq__quest
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: switching from bindings to client mode Reply with quote

Apprentice

exerk wrote:

If not using MDBs you'll need to catch MQRC 2009 and MQRC 2538 errors and deal with them, as explained HERE.

you mean the application guys need to write some code to catch the errors and reconnect to the mq servers automatically ?

Thanks for your time.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: switching from bindings to client mode Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mq__quest wrote:
you mean the application guys need to write some code to catch the errors and reconnect to the mq servers automatically ?

That's exactly what I mean.

So, for the MQRC 2009, disconnect, connect and open, and for MQRC 2538, wait a reasonable time, retry connect, and then after n attempts give up or try a different server. Ideally you should use queue manager groups for a client connection anyway (that's a preference of mine, not a hard and fast rule).
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Queue Manger Groups is what was at the link I posted earlier. It has been around for a very long time but I don't see people use it very much. The auto reconnect thing is interesting but doesn't always work, so you have to code for it anyway. Auto reconnect is not supported by JMS as they expect the connection factory to do that work. Whoever "they" is...
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

JosephGramig wrote:
...The auto reconnect thing is interesting but doesn't always work, so you have to code for it anyway...

Interesting. Can you qualify that with any examples please?
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

When I build MI Qmgrs on UNIX, I test with the sample programs exactly as outlined in the KC on this topic. Sometimes the switch happens exactly as you would think and sometimes the program just bombs with a 2009. I can repeat the test several times in a row and not get the same results.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » switching from bindings to client mode
Jump to: