ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Reconfigure MQ Logging

Reconfigure MQ Logging « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
frodo33
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reconfigure MQ Logging Reply with quote

Hi experts,

i have a Queuemanager that is configured for linear logging. During the last half year we found out, that we do not need this persistence.

Is it possible to change the logging of an existing Queuemanager to circular logging ? If yes, what steps are needed?

Thanks in advance.

Thorsten
Nigelg
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

No. To change from linear to circular logging the qmgr has to deleted and recreated.
mq_abcd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I think we can do it in the following way
But i dont know the implications of this.

ensure that there are no messages on the queues
stop the channels and qmgr
move the log files to a some folder.
create a dummy qmgr with circular logging
copy back the log files to this folder
basically doing a cold start.

I'm just guessing this method.
Any gurus can correct me.

Shailu.
Nigelg
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

No, you have to recreate the qmgr. Yourprocedure is absolutely not supported by IBM.
You can save the qmgr objects using support pack MS63.
You will have to archive any msgs on the queues by getting them, storing them somewhere, and putting them back after the recreate.
mq_abcd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

After I posted my earlier message i searched the forum
and found these links

http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15140&highlight=change+logging+circular+linear

http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12759&highlight=change+logging+circular+linear

They suggested a method similar to what i said.

Shailu
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

But that still doesn't mean it's "supported".

Use at your own risk.

Having procedures to recreate a queue manager is a Good Thing anyway.
csmith28
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Note that in both of those threads it says that this way of doing it is not supported.

I found myself in a position in which I needed to increase the size of my active logs earlier this year.

I considered using the COLD BOOT process of creating a Dummy MQManager and copying the Dummy active directory over the top of the existing active directory. I even successfully tested the process on a LAB box but all things considered it was just as much if not more work and that process is not supported so if it blew up in my face I wouldn't be able to get IBM to support it. Except that if I had called IBM they would likely have told me to delete the MQManager and recreate it.

Just use MS03 saveqmgr to back up the objects on your existing MQManager. Make backups of your qm.ini file and SSL (if needed) Certs.

Have all the applications stopped. Then have all channels comming from any remote MQManagers Stopped and Reset.

Then stop your MQManager, delete it with dltmqm QMGR and re-create it.

Restore your qm.ini and Certs. Start the new QMGR. Start the command Server and use the saveqmgr output file to populate the new instance of the QMGR. Start your channels to the remote QMGR's. Start the applications. Validate.
WannaBeInAParker
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

frodo33,

When moving to circular logging, keep in mind that you will lose the ability to recover your objects should they get damaged. This may be an undesired side affect of ridding persistent logs.
csmith28
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

WannaBeInAParker wrote:
frodo33,

When moving to circular logging, keep in mind that you will lose the ability to recover your objects should they get damaged. This may be an undesired side affect of ridding persistent logs.

Not entirely true, if he uses saveqmgr (Support Pack MS03) to make backups of his MQManagers he can recover them from that backup but he will lose any messages that were in flight if/when the MQManager has a catastrophic failure that would require recovery.

It has been my experience that most applications that use MQSeries are request/response type applications who's messages have a limited time of life so for example if someone clicks on a link to request to see the current balance of a loan they have and MQSeries is not responding the application will time out the request in for the sake of argument 60 seconds. If the application is coded correctly it will throw a timeout message or please try again later or some such.

In any instance in which there is a catastrophic failure of an MQManager involvling damaged objects, regardless of whether you are using Circular or Linear logging it will indeed take more than 60 seconds to recover.

It is also a good idea to keep backups of the qm.ini file and any Certs that were created for the MQManager.
WannaBeInAParker
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

csmith28,

Media recovery is lost when the queue manager is circular logged. I do not disagree that you can delete a damaged object and redefine the object. I am assuming (dangerous) that the user is sending persistent messages, since he/she is having an issue with Linear logs piling up (again reading into the situation here). I would not recommend your recovery solution for persistent messaging as there is a reason they are persistent, they cannot be lost.

I work in a financial institution where 1 message lost could mean millions of dollars, in our situation we take no chances when it comes to data. I completely understand that this is not the case everywhere.

I was simply pointing out that there are other things that need to be considered going from linear to circular logged queue managers.

-----Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
csmith28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconfigure MQ Logging Reply with quote

Grand Master

frodo33 wrote:
Hi experts,
i have a Queuemanager that is configured for linear logging. During the last half year we found out, that we do not need this persistence.

WannaBeInAParker
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

persistence of logs because they stick around and do not overwrite one another for a very long time or persistence of messages?

I was guessing persistence of logs.

Could be messages. I am done with this one though. I look forward to further episodes!!!
Tibor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

jefflowrey wrote:
But that still doesn't mean it's "supported".

Use at your own risk.

Having procedures to recreate a queue manager is a Good Thing anyway.

Jeff is right. However when Carla has a lot of queues with messages... backup all queues will be painful. I find this hacking a more convenient way. I had tried on our production qmgr without any problem one year ago But I was prepared for recreating when logging doesn't work.

Another link: http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6318

Hint: don't forget to save your OAM! (amqoamd ... -s)

Tibor

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Reconfigure MQ Logging
Jump to: