ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Can we increase the Message expire time using CAPEXPRY

Can we increase the Message expire time using CAPEXPRY « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Can we increase the Message expire time using CAPEXPRY Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi All, we have a situation where we have set our CAPEXPRY for 24 hours in our local Q, Sending application has send around 1000 messages but receiving application is down and not yet fixed. Now when the message arrived in the Queue because the CAPEXPRY was 24 hours , so all the messages has their expiry interval set to 24 hours.

Can I move these message to another Local Q which has CAPEXPRY of 5 days and will that change these messages new expiry time to 5 days?
I just want to save these messages , we can't take backup to a file because of some restrictions so looking for innovative suggestions here.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can we increase the Message expire time using CAPEXPRY Reply with quote

Jedi Council

vicks_mq wrote:
...Can I move these message to another Local Q which has CAPEXPRY of 5 days and will that change these messages new expiry time to 5 days?...

Nope. The doc clearly states "...An expiry time specified by an application, which is lower than the CAPEXPRY value will be used...".

RfhUtil and GET/PUT with a new expiry value?
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Can we increase the Message expire time using CAPEXPRY Reply with quote

Disciple

exerk wrote:
vicks_mq wrote:
...Can I move these message to another Local Q which has CAPEXPRY of 5 days and will that change these messages new expiry time to 5 days?...

Nope. The doc clearly states "...An expiry time specified by an application, which is lower than the CAPEXPRY value will be used...".

Hi Exerk, I think I got what you mean. when the source application put message into Local Q#1 which has expiry of 24 hours, it sets the expiry of messgage to 24 hours. Now, I cant change this value it even if I move those message to another queue with capexpry of 5 days using QLOAD program .
So once a value has been set, it is set, until it is a lower value. right?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can we increase the Message expire time using CAPEXPRY Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

vicks_mq wrote:
Now, I cant change this value it even if I move those message to another queue with capexpry of 5 days using QLOAD program .

Correct, because the messages have an expiry value lower than CAPEXPRY, which doesn't set the expiry but caps the expiry. Clue's in the name.

But:

exerk wrote:

This would work, or a few lines of C/Java/PHP/MQ aware language of your choice.
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can we increase the Message expire time using CAPEXPRY Reply with quote

Disciple

Vitor wrote:

This would work, or a few lines of C/Java/PHP/MQ aware language of your choice.

Yes, tried and it did work.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we increase the Message expire time using CAPEXPRY Reply with quote

Jedi

vicks_mq wrote:
Hi All, we have a situation where we have set our CAPEXPRY for 24 hours in our local Q, Sending application has send around 1000 messages but receiving application is down and not yet fixed. Now when the message arrived in the Queue because the CAPEXPRY was 24 hours , so all the messages has their expiry interval set to 24 hours.

You set CAPEXPRY because of design decision regarding quality of service. The messages are disposable after 24 hours. You should review the decision on this queue and other queues. In general, MQ message expiry should only ever be used if messages have a finite useful life.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Can we increase the Message expire time using CAPEXPRY
Jump to: