ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Backup Queue Manager

Backup Queue Manager « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
drakumad57
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Backup Queue Manager Reply with quote

Hello,
Was after some advice on running a backup queue manager at a secondary data centre.
If, for example, i was running a primary site with linear logging, current log was S0000003.LOG. I then issued a checkpoint (rcdmqimg), then advanced the log to S0000004.LOG. Which files would i need to move to the secondary data centre in order to recover the primary MQ server on a backup qmgr?
- the checkpoint file?
- the log control file?
- S0000003.LOG?
- all of the log file up to S000004.LOG?

ANy help would be much appreciated. I have read through a lot of the discussions on here and IBM's docs regarding this but am still having trouble understanding.
Thanks,
D
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

It's pretty explicit HERE...especially note what it says in step 3.
drakumad57
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link. the advice from the infocenter advises to:

- create the backup queue manager
- copy the data and log files from your primary queue manager over the backup queue manager's data and logs
- flag backup qmgr as a backup and replay log extents (strmqm -r)
- periodically copy over the log files prior to the CURRLOG value from the queue manager

for recovery:
- replay log extents on backup queue manager which replays the copied log extents
- activate backup queue manager
- start backup queue manager

The above works fine and i can recover all messages from the queues on the backup queue manager up to when the last log file was copied.

In order to minimize the number of logs needed to be copied across to the backup queue manager i have been checkpointing using the rcdmqimg command and deleting superfluous logs from the active logs directory. The above process still works fine but the MEDIALOG value on the backup queue manager value is an older file on the backup queue manager - in fact the file doesnt exist on the primary queue manager as it has been removed as superfluous after a checkpoint has been created. Will this cause any issues on the backup queue manager?
Thanks,
Darren
doris.knittel
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hello all,
how can I create a backup qmgr??? IBM says:
... Create a backup queue manager for the existing queue manager using the control command crtmqm. The backup queue manager requires the following:

To have the same attributes as the existing queue manager, for example the queue manager name, the logging type, and the log file size.
But how can I double qmgr names???
I have MQ 7.0.1.4 on Linux

Thanks in advance
Doris
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

doris.knittel wrote:
But how can I double qmgr names???

The back up queue manager is created exactly the same as the 'donor' queue manager, using exactly the same command, just on a different server.
doris.knittel
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thank you very much!
I would also itself can come on it

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Backup Queue Manager
Jump to: