ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » dspmq on MQ v7.1

dspmq on MQ v7.1 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqtablet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: dspmq on MQ v7.1 Reply with quote

Acolyte

Any idea about how to use the dspmq command to find out all the queue managers of all available instances in a given MQ server?
Below are the options which can be used with dspmq
Code:

Usage: dspmq [-n] [-m QMgrName] [-o status | -s] [-o default]
             [-o standby] [-o installation] [-x]

-m   Queue manager name.
 -n   Suppress translation of output strings.
 -o all
      Display all status information for the queue managers.
 -o status
      Display the operational status of the queue managers.
 -o default
      Display whether any of the queue managers are the default.
 -o standby
      Display whether a queue manager currently permits a standby instance.
 -o installation
      Display the installation details of the queue managers.
 -s   Display the operational status of the queue managers.
 -x   Display information about instances of queue managers.

My concern now is -
1. When we have multiple instances of MQ with different installation names in a single computer, and run the dspmq command - it lists only the queue managers available in the primary installation.
2. If I have queue managers in other installations, any idea what is the command to list the queue managers in this second installation with dspmq command?

If I use the command -
Code:
dspmq -o installation
, it is showing the queue manager names present in the primary installation and the installation instance name. How do I find out the queue manager names of other instance? May be a simple command which I'm unable to figure out..

Thanks.
mqtablet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Code:

C:\>dspmq -o all
QMNAME(DFLTQMGR)                                          STATUS(Running) DEFAUL
T(no) STANDBY(Not permitted) INSTNAME(INST1) INSTPATH(C:\Program Files\IBM\
WebSphere MQ) INSTVER(7.1.0.0)
QMNAME(MQVDEV01)                                          STATUS(Ended normally)
 DEFAULT(no) STANDBY(Not applicable) INSTNAME(INST1) INSTPATH(C:\Program Fi
les\IBM\WebSphere MQ) INSTVER(7.1.0.0)

In the same machine, I have another instance of MQ 7.1 with installation name as 'INST2' and has a queue manager MQVDEV02.
This information is not being displayed when I run dspmq -o all
mqtablet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

A couple of more questions, sorry for multiple posts

1. I tried to create a queue manager in INST2 with the name of the queue manager which is present in INST1. It did not allow me.
So, what is the point of having multiple installations if I cannot have the same queue manager name in different instances? (In SQL, I can create databases with same name in different instances).

2. If I look from a migration perspective, say I have fix pack 7.1.0.1 (later) in INST1 and when there is a new fix pack by IBM, say 7.1.0.2 - I want to apply the latest fix pack 7.1.0.2 to INST2, create the same queue manager as INST1 and migrate - this is not possible as it is not allowing me to create the queue manager which is present in INST1 with same name in INST2.

Speaking at basics - What is the use of multiple installations of MQ in a server if I cannot have the same queue manager created in each instance? It is as good as having 2 different queue managers in the same installation. (I've read in infocenter that the applications can connect to the queue managers by specifying the instance name). So, this point is valid if we need to differentiate two queue managers with the same name in the same machine (by the installation name and connect the application to the appropriate instance).
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

the point of separate installations is to allow you to install separate versions of WebSphere MQ, not create separate logical instances.

There's no good reason ever to create two queue managers with the exact same name. Ever. In any case, in any environment, anywhere.
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

mqtablet wrote:
So, what is the point of having multiple installations if I cannot have the same queue manager name in different instances? (In SQL, I can create databases with same name in different instances).

It is good that you cannot have 2 qmgrs of the same name on the same machine. It can only lead to trouble.

Quote:
I want to apply the latest fix pack 7.1.0.2 to INST2, create the same queue manager as INST1 and migrate - this is not possible as it is not allowing me to create the queue manager which is present in INST1 with same name in INST2.

To meet this requirement you can update your INST2 to 7.1.0.2, and then use the setmqm command.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/topic/com.ibm.mq.doc/fa16045_.htm

Also search the information center for setmqm, and read the surrounding pages. (Please no-one mention PDFs!! )

Quote:
I've read in infocenter that the applications can connect to the queue managers by specifying the instance name.

Can you post the link you were reading, please?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

you don't promote a qmgr from one environment to the other.

you build a new qmgr in the environment, or you migrate it from one version to the other...

In the realm of the cloud of infinite possibilities, there is nothing that prevents you from building up your own duplicated cloud version, tear it down and rebuild it again. Just don't expect to send any real traffic through it... that might throw a huge wrench into the works

Have fun
mqtablet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

mqjeff wrote:
the point of separate installations is to allow you to install separate versions of WebSphere MQ, not create separate logical instances..
This makes sense.

mqjeff wrote:

There's no good reason ever to create two queue managers with the exact same name. Ever. In any case, in any environment, anywhere.
We never do. I wanted to try whether it works. Because what I thought was, say

1. Inst1 has qmgr QM1 with 7.1.0.0
2. Applications are currently using QM1, Inst1.
3. New installation - Inst2 in the same server - 7.1.0.1.
4. Create a new queue manager in Inst2 with the same name - QM1
5. Connect the applications by specifying Inst2 - QM1
6. If application works fine without issues, migration to 7.1.0.1 successful. Stop the QM1 in Inst1

So that migration can be done to QM1 Inst2 or reverted back in case of issues to QM1 Inst1 - just by making changes at MQ server about the default (Primary) instance so that no change ever needed at the application side (no change in host name, port, channel.. blah blah blah).
Only change is the change that we do, which is change the primary instance of installation by setmqinst command. Seems easy from a migration perspective.

By the any any info on the dspmq all queue managers of all instances stuff? Thanks Jeff.
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

mqtablet wrote:
5. Connect the applications by specifying Inst2 - QM1

The MQCONN call has not changed.. you still specify only a qmgr name.
mqtablet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

mvic wrote:
The MQCONN call has not changed.. you still specify only a qmgr name.
Sorry, my mistake. What I meant initially was

Inst1 - primary = yes, has QM1, 7.1.0.0
Inst2 - primary = no, has QM1, 7.1.0.1

When app connects specifying QM1 it connects to the instance of Inst1.
Now I change the inst modes at MQ layer as below

Inst1 - primary = no, has QM1, 7.1.0.0
Inst2 - primary = yes, has QM1, 7.1.0.1

When app connects specifying QM1, it should connect to the queue manager QM1 in instance Inst2.

So that we can avoid migration issues. For any reason, if the app finds issues - no change at app side. Just change back the Inst1 to be the primary and the app connects back to QM1 of Inst1. (Just thought of, like a DNS name change pointing from one server to another server)
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqtablet wrote:
So that we can avoid migration issues. For any reason, if the app finds issues - no change at app side. Just change back the Inst1 to be the primary and the app connects back to QM1 of Inst1. (Just thought of, like a DNS name change pointing from one server to another server)

It's a great plan; shame it won't work.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqjeff wrote:

Absolute nonsense.
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

dspmq should show ALL QueueManagers without regard of version.
so you mention having two 7.1.0.0 installs and one QMgr is not shown...

report it as a problem to IBM.

on application connectivity: from 7.1 the MQ libraries are version and installation aware and will pass on requests to other installations if the Queuemanager does not belong to the installation your application points to...

If you still have one install prior to 7.1 (officially this can only be 7.0.1.6 or up...) then that installation is always the primary and not aware of other installs, but does report the QMgrs as being present, just not available...

MQSystems Facebook page
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

zpat wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

Absolute nonsense.

Are you happier if i qualify it with "at the same time"?

backup qmgrs et. al being perfectly reasonable, I agree.

two queue managers at the same time in the same company with the exact same name is nothing more than a recipe for trouble, on the order of "whoops, who committed the indoubt messages on the wrong channel"
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I really don't see your problem. We have a whole bunch of DR queue managers with same names as production QMs.

The DNS names point to the active site. The standby ones (which are kept running for ease of adminstration) have no channels active, other than for admin use.

I agree that you should not connect two QMGRs of the same name to any application or to any other QM at the same time. We never do that.
rammer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

zpat wrote:
I really don't see your problem. We have a whole bunch of DR queue managers with same names as production QMs.

Agreed

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » dspmq on MQ v7.1
Jump to: