ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ monitoring tools and comparison

MQ monitoring tools and comparison « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
grandje62
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: MQ monitoring tools and comparison Reply with quote

Hello,

I am working in a big factory which uses MQSeries in order to transmit production messages.
We work on many system : NT/2000, AIX, tandem, AS400, OS390...
Actually we administer MQ via Patrol (we only have the administrator part not the operator (for a reason of price))
As BMC has gather the administrator and operator...and for other reasons..pbl with some very old systems for example.

We have seen people of mqsoftware. their product seems very good
But in fact I would like to have informations direct from people who work in production with it or who know difference or what's the best

Waiting for a response
Best regards

Jérôme W.
Remco
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Maybe for you it is interesting to look at the products provided by Candle. I've been working with it for 1 and a half year now, and I'm very pleased with it.

Remco
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grandje62
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know these products !
Problem is that i am the developer and administrator but here they are very cold in testing, buying new products
Then, I am walking slowly
I will take a look...

Have you tried QPasa or Patrol ?

Jérôme
Remco
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

No, I haven't used both of them. Just the Candle products.

Remco
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grandje62
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will see if I can find something interesting me on candle.

Thanks

Jérôme
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

BMC Patrols is my personal favourite due to simple installation, no middle tier server needed, inexpensive and extensible with own code.

Candle has the most comprehensive feature set but is in itself a complex product with multiple components.

QPasa is easy to install and certainly worth a look, ditto contact admin.

You can also write your own quite easily and we actually rely on our own Java based tool currently.

The best way to decide is to attend a MQ conference where you can see them all. If you have any existing system management tools then it makes sense to extend those to cover MQ as well.

Depends on your budget etc - all the vendor offerings have their own good and bad points.

If you have some of BMC already - then I would look at that company's MQ offering first.
interactivechannel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Metagroup have done a review of the available products. http://www.candle.com/www1/vgn/images/portal/cit_7367/2521678METAWebSphere1002.pdf
My experience of QPasa was good.
blowbeat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Re: Candle.

The components (monitor/configuratoion tool) can be installed seperately.

I believe that the main difference between the Candle configuration tool and others is that Candle stores the definitions in a database. Configuration can be validated before updates aree activated. You can keep a copy of your old definitions in the database so you can restore (parts of) your old config.

Not sure if other products provide similar functionality.

Cheers, Jan.
LuisFer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

We have probed the following Monitors: ASG-Tmon, Qpasa, CCC for MQ & MQControl , all in Z/OS env.
We make a lot of probes, about performance, utilities, general information, exceptions & other, and the best was ASG-Tmon, especially for two things , the interface (3270), statics about Coupling Facility , & performance.
gcrimy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been in contact with various tools that help monitor and support MQSeries and its associated family of Websphere products, some free and some not. Essentially I found that free tools never covered enough real features to be a serious consideration. Candle & BMC I would regard as my preferance in this space as they have the framework and vision for a complete business view & platform coverage, others I've used have not. We recently upgraded to Candle's Omegamon Dashbord monitor and it is remarkable how much it has improved and progressed from its old CCC days. Haven't used BMC for a while so I can't comment on them..

That's my view anyway!!
ping master
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

the cool thing about MQ, is that you can write anything those third party utils can do. It will actually teach you so much about MQ writing all the PCF stuff. just look at Neil's mqJexplorer, it is awesome, we can do it too! for free..
blowbeat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

For free, but at what price ?

Jan.
grandje62
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For BMC products, inexpensive is not the term, I would use!!!!
For DS, it's quite the same as other editors
but for OS/390, if you want patrol operator and administrator...
the price seems to be as much as the entire solution of Qpasa !

Then, we have problems with the BMC support, long time to respond and our big problem are still at the labo
Perhaps it will be easier with MQSoftware....anyway I think having two editors is not a bad thing, if you want to reduce the price and compare the products
sonomablue
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Patrol for WebSphereMQ Reply with quote

We use Patrol for WebShereMQ to monitor MQ5.2 and MQ5.3 on dozens of production Unix and NT/W2K servers. On unix we have AIX, SUN, and HP servers. It works well for us. We focus primarily on QLOCAL and QXMIT queues. We use inhouse paging and email when QDepth thresholds are exceeded. Seems to work well. Someone else posted that they had problems with BMC support. I have found BMC to be fairly good. I have worked in IT for almost 20 years and have dealt with IBM, Computer Associates, BMC, Tivoli, Candle, Legent, Compuware, NCR, Systems Center, and other vendors. They all have pro's and con's. BMC has good technical people. They support current releases. They will take traces and dumps and do good analysis. Their hardcopy documentation is not their strong suit, but they do provide good support overall.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ monitoring tools and comparison
Jump to: