ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » certificateexpiredexception, but certificate is not expired

certificateexpiredexception, but certificate is not expired « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Adel_PFS_2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: certificateexpiredexception, but certificate is not expired Reply with quote

we are running IIB 9.0.0.2, i'm tring to make HTTPs request using the HTTPRequest Node, on the run time i recieve the following error

Quote:

CertificateExpiredException: NotAfter: Fri Apr 16 13:52:20 EET 2021' (CHARACTER)

i exported the server side certificate which is CA trusted, and added it to the broker trusted keyStore located in 'brokerTruststoreFile'.

the actual expiry date is 16-APR-2022, i can see that in keytool -list command, in the browser or even in Postman.

my question is, what could be the reason IIB node sees that the certificate is expired while it's not?
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: certificateexpiredexception, but certificate is not expi Reply with quote

Knight

Adel_PFS_2019 wrote:
what could be the reason IIB node sees that the certificate is expired while it's not?

hi...could it be that the truststore still includes the old CA certificate? you can check this by exporting the truststore details to a file using keytool,
eg:-
Code:
keytool -list -v -keystore <truststore.jks path> -storetype jks -storepass <passwor> > /tmp/truststore.txt
Adel_PFS_2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello abhi_thri, i tried keytool -list and found only the certificate i'm interested in, actually i don't have any certificate to expire in 2021,

what is really weird to me, that the error gives one year exactly before the expiry date!

I think IIB dosen't even look at the expiry date in the trusted keystore certificate.

but why google chrome and Postman shows that the domain is secured and there is no problem?
Armageddon123
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Google chrome or postman shows you the certificate at the service side
Most probable reason is - you updated the truststore jks file at a path different from what is configured at IIB config. Verify with mqsireportproperties , where exactly is your relevant store file.
Adel_PFS_2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Armageddon123,

certificate is added to the keystore in field brokerTruststoreFile of the command
Code:
mqsireportproperties broker -o BrokerRegistry -r

i tried before adding it and had SSLHandshke failure.

that's why i'm wondring where dose IIB get this 2021 from [/b]
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Adel_PFS_2019 wrote:

i tried before adding it and had SSLHandshke failure.

hi...if it was failing with SSLHandshake error prior to adding the certificate that suggests that Broker is reading 2021 from the certifcate somehow. Is it just the CA certificate which was added to the truststore or some Intermediate ones as well...worth crosschecking whether any got expiry date as 2021.

Also what happens if you remove the added certificates...are you able to recreate the SSLHandshake error?

When you list the newly added certificate using keytool what expiry date is it showing?

You could also collect the JSSE trace and see that shows anything interesting...https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/collecting-jsse-trace-ibm-integration-bus

Any specific reason on staying on the older fixpack level of 9002 instead of more recent one...worth checking whether there is any known issue in this area which got fixed in the later fixpack.
Adel_PFS_2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abhi_thri wrote:
Is it just the CA certificate which was added to the truststore or some Intermediate ones as well...worth crosschecking whether any got expiry date as 2021.

Also what happens if you remove the added certificates...are you able to recreate the SSLHandshake error?

When you list the newly added certificate using keytool what expiry date is it showing?

Hi,
Here are the certifiacation path with expiry date for each

Code:
Go Daddy Class 2 Certification Authority        (4) expires at 2034
    Go Daddy Root Certificate Authority         (3) expires at 2031
        Go Daddy Secure Certificate Authority   (2) expires at 2031
            *.xyz.com                           (1) expires at APR 16 2022

i tried the following cases,

Code:
truststore [(1)] (contains only the leaf Cert)      gives SSLHandshake CertPathValidatorException
truststore [(1), (2), (3)]                          gives CertificateExpiredException
truststore [(2), (3)]                               gives CertificateExpiredException
truststore [(3)]                                    gives CertificateExpiredException
truststore [(4)]                                    gives CertificateExpiredException

abhi_thri wrote:
You could also collect the JSSE trace and see that shows anything interesting...https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/collecting-jsse-trace-ibm-integration-bus

JSSE trace was a good hint, now i can see what was just thoughts before,
i tried with a truststore of [(4)] only and here is what i found
under *** ServerHello, TLSv1.2, the chain starts with a certificate with CN=*.xyz.com same as (1), remember i didn't add (1) in the truststore
but with our magically expiry date 2021

at chain[1] we have (2) and chain[2] with (3) all with same expiration dates as above. and in the end, our lovely CertificateExpiredException error

now it looks like IIB graps the chain on the ServerHello step from the server side, with a certificate that expires at 2021

i'd believe that the domain has a problem with their certificate and it's a server side issue, but i can see Google chrome marked the domain as trusted and Postman did the same thing!

now, why chrome graps the updated Cert while IIB graps the expired one, and how to fix that?

abhi_thri wrote:
Any specific reason on staying on the older fixpack level of 9002 instead of more recent one...worth checking whether there is any known issue in this area which got fixed in the later fixpack.

the version upgade is beyond me, traditional client you know, we had this type of integration many times before (using this version) and i didn't find (with my humble search) )any known issue in related to this topic.
mgk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

To see what certificates the remote server is sending back try running:

Code:
openssl s_client -connect <yourserver.com:443>

you might also want to try this with the
Code:
-showcerts
option as well

This will display all the certs sent back that you can examine.

Hope that helps,

MGK

Last edited by mgk on Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Adel_PFS_2019 wrote:

i tried with a truststore of [(4)] only and here is what i found
under *** ServerHello, TLSv1.2, the chain starts with a certificate with CN=*.xyz.com same as (1), remember i didn't add (1) in the truststore
but with our magically expiry date 2021

at chain[1] we have (2) and chain[2] with (3) all with same expiration dates as above. and in the end, our lovely CertificateExpiredException error

now it looks like IIB graps the chain on the ServerHello step from the server side, with a certificate that expires at 2021

i'd believe that the domain has a problem with their certificate and it's a server side issue, but i can see Google chrome marked the domain as trusted and Postman did the same thing!

now, why chrome graps the updated Cert while IIB graps the expired one, and how to fix that?

hi...I initially thought it was CA certificate that was being renewed. Yes, the truststore requries the CA root certificates only and not the server leaf ones.
Agree with you analysis that the server is presenting an expired certificate for some reason. Why don't you pass on the relevant part of JSSE trace to the server side and ask them why the server is returning an expired certificate?

Also just to be sure...the url you checked via chrome/postman, is the exactly the same which iib is using?
Adel_PFS_2019
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dears,

here is the results of my tests
Code:

openssl s_client -servername server.domain.com -connect <Public_IP>:443  | openssl x509 -noout -dates
or
openssl s_client -connect server.domain.com:443  | openssl x509 -noout -dates

Root_Cert               valid
    intermediate_cert   valid
        Leaf_Cert       valid

openssl s_client  -connect <Public_IP>:443  | openssl x509 -noout -dates

Root_Cert               valid
    intermediate_cert   valid
        Leaf_Cert       expired     CN=*.domain.com
        Leaf_Cert       valid       CN=*.domain.com

than i tried with postman as the following
Quote:

URL = https://server.domain.com/API_Path
postman marked it as trusted

URL = https://<Public_IP>/API_Path
postman marked it as not trusted

if i overrode Host header with server.domain.com, postman markes it trusted again

so, it seems that the server has two domains published on one IP, one with expired certificate which is the default.
the issue now is IIB HTTPRequest node is seems to behave like the second command (the one with IP).

i tried to override the Host header with HTTPHeader node or Compute node (with Generate default HTTP headers from input un-selected) but IIB is still retrieving the expired one.

now, How to notify IIB with the right domain and therefore the valid certificate?
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

hi...why don't you pass on the results to the server side and request them to remove the expired certificate from their side?
Adel_PFS_2019
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abhi_thri wrote:
hi...why don't you pass on the results to the server side and request them to remove the expired certificate from their side?

i did that, it took them quite a while, but they just did and now i can establish the connection, it was a great help from you guys here.
Adel_PFS_2019 wrote:

now, How to notify IIB with the right domain and therefore the valid certificate?

but out of curiosity, i'm still searching an answer for the above question.
i don't know if having two domanis on one server is common or not, but i believe if we can work it out in postman, we can make it in IIB as well.
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Adel_PFS_2019 wrote:

but out of curiosity, i'm still searching an answer for the above question.
i don't know if having two domanis on one server is common or not, but i believe if we can work it out in postman, we can make it in IIB as well.

hi...I suggest raising a PMR with the observations and see whether it is possible to do so with IIB at the moment, if not I guess IBM will suggest raising an enhancement request if they feel that this is a valid scenario.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » certificateexpiredexception, but certificate is not expired
Jump to: