ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Fire Flow When All Messages in MQ are Processed (MQ Empty)

Fire Flow When All Messages in MQ are Processed (MQ Empty) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ReemRashwan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Fire Flow When All Messages in MQ are Processed (MQ Empty) Reply with quote

Novice

TL;DR I need to monitor a queue when its empty after being filled with messages, how can I do that?

Understanding The Application

Hi, I have the following flows in my application
Flow 1: HTTP Input -> some nodes -> HTTP Request (get list of data from other system) -> Compute Node (to split data list into one message at a time) -> MQ Output Node (Name: APPIN)

Flow 2: MQ Input (APPIN) -> some heavy processing -> send data to other system.

Flow 3: HTTP Input -> Nodes to collect some statistics from other systems that is dependent on flow 2 output.

I have a cron job that starts the application using http node in flow 1. Flow 2 may take one or two hours dependening on incoming data from other systems even with multithreading. Flow 3 is called on demand whenever statistics are required

The Question

How can I monitor my queue when its done processing all message that came from other systems, say I have 2000 messages, I need to fire flow 3 only when all of these messages are processed (either succeeded or failed after retries). Any ideas?
silly_name
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Fire Flow When All Messages in MQ are Processed (MQ Empty) Reply with quote

Not 100% sure on what your requirement here is.
You said:
Quote:

Flow 3: HTTP Input -> Nodes to collect some statistics from other systems that is dependent on flow 2 output.

Do "other systems" not need to do some processing of their own before you can "collect statistics" ? Or is it that you send that data synchronously and they don't do anything to it once flow 2 has completed for each message?

Sticking to your original query, the simplest and most robust way I can think of it is persist in Flow 1 (in a DB?) the initial list of messages - some identifier at least. Then update the status of each identifier in Flow 2. Flow 3 would then run on a timer and query if everything was processed.
Of course things brings to mind a list of other considerations: how do you want to handle errors in case for instance a message is *never* processed, how do you want to archive/cleanup previous runs (sounds like you run in batches once per day?).

Later edit: This sounds like a scenario for the aggregation pattern. Have you looked at the aggregation nodes?
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/integration-bus/10.0?topic=nodes-group-aggregation

Cheers,
B
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Duplicate of http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77938

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Fire Flow When All Messages in MQ are Processed (MQ Empty)
Jump to: