ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Disallow bindings connections

Disallow bindings connections « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
belchman
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Disallow bindings connections Reply with quote

Partisan

Is there a way for me to completely disallow bindings connections to the queue manager? I want to mandate client connections only unless an application has shown evidence that they require bindings connections.

DefaultBindType, based on the name, is a default and will not stop an application from connecting in bindings mode.

Thank you
belchman
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Perhaps I can be sneaky and disallow them access to mqjbnd-- perhaps by renaming it to mqjbnd.nowayjose
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Do you literally mean ALL server-bindings connection? Or just some specific apps?
Why precisely? What issue are you facing?
belchman
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

We have WebsphereAS cells that connect to MQ in which applications can set up their QCFs to connect in BINDINGs mode even though I tell them to stop doing that. If they need BINDINGs mode, I want the to show me proof that they need it and not just do it to "be safe".

Since I do not have purview over WAS, I cannot control what they do and what they do controls me in that I cannot bounce a queue manager in which the application is connected in BINDINGs mode.

This makes our patching and upgrade cycles painfully slow.

My dream is to force client mode and allow bindings mode after a debate.

We have a distributed architecture and basically a queue manager is for a specific WAS node.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I don’t understand your rationale for/against bindings- and client-mode apps?

Other than policy, what prevents you from cycling a qmgr with a server-bindings app? Is it a long-running app?
belchman
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

If they are connected to the queue manager in bindings mode, they are running in the MQ memory space and the queue manager will not come back up until they shut down their JVMs.

Getting them to shut down their JVMs is time consuming.

If they are connecting in client mode, I can bounce the queue manager and it will come back up. Then they can bounce their JVMs at their leisure without forcing me to wait on them.
belchman
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

We have WebsphereAS cells that connect to MQ in which applications can set up their QCFs to connect in BINDINGs mode even though I tell them to stop doing that. If they need BINDINGs mode, I want the to show me proof that they need it and not just do it to "be safe".

Since I do not have purview over WAS, I cannot control what they do and what they do controls me in that I cannot bounce a queue manager in which the application is connected in BINDINGs mode.

We have a distributed architecture and basically a queue manager is for a specific WAS node.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

I agree with Bruce. You are taking the wrong approach.

First off, having applications connect in bindings mode is far more efficient - the queue manager uses less resources i.e. CPU & memory. And the application will get a higher throughput rate.

How did the applications ever pass integration testing if you cannot bounce a queue manager (in a timely manner) and then the application automatically reconnects when the queue manager is re-started??? Something was totally missed.

Basically what is screwing you is a badly configured application(s). The QCF and or Q JNDI definitions are missing the FailIfQuiesce parameter.
i.e.
Code:
DEFINE QCF(myQCF) QMANAGER(MQA1) TRANSPORT(BINDINGS) FAILIFQUIESCE(YES)
DEFINE Q(dev.test.q) QUEUE(TEST.Q1) QMANAGER(MQA1) TARGCLIENT(JMS) FAILIFQUIESCE(YES)

The whole point of the FailIfQuiesce parameter is to allow MQAdmins to gracefully shutdown and then restart a queue manager.

Get the applications to correctly configure their application(s) and then you won't have any problems.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

If you don't grant MQ Auth Recs for the ID (or parent group) their local app runs as, they can't connect in bindings mode.

When they complain, you tell them they can connect via this nice shiny SVRCONN channel you defined for them. You can control who can use that channel and what ID that channel will run as, which will have MQ Auth Recs to connect.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

belchman wrote:
..I cannot bounce a queue manager in which the application is connected in BINDINGs mode.

Have you tried endmqm -i QMNAME ? This generally safe. We do it in production with no apparent consequences.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
If they are connected to the queue manager in bindings mode, they are running in the MQ memory space and the queue manager will not come back up until they shut down their JVMs.

The problem is not the QM ending, but rather starting it back up?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
Quote:

The problem is not the QM ending, but rather starting it back up?

Or, is the issue that the applications fail to reconnect once the qmgr restarts?

If the qmgr fails to restart, post the errors logged.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

belchman wrote:

Why won't the queue manager come up? More information please. This seems to be very unusual.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I remember years ago I would run into something like this with a monitoring agent that was connected to the QMGR in bindings mode. The QMGR would sometimes complain about a previous process still running.

In fact, very rarely the QMGR would complain about a previous process still running, blocking the QM start up, and ps -ef would show it was runmqlsr!

Haven't seen this issue in years though.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

PeterPotkay wrote:
...Haven't seen this issue in years though.

Ditto. I don't think I've had this issue since MQ v7.0. Maybe the MQI's release their connections much quicker than in the past, when the qmgr goes down unexpectedly.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Disallow bindings connections
Jump to: