ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » using F5 VIP for MQ

using F5 VIP for MQ « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dextermbmq
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: using F5 VIP for MQ Reply with quote

Voyager

Hello All,

We have a clustered setup for IBM MQ where the Full and Partial repositories are configured on 2 Servers in multi instance mode. The clustered communication between the queue manager instances is via the server IPs.

We have quite a few applications connecting over client mode (Java based applications and some other standard productions like IBM Data Power , ESB product from Oracle etc) for performing MQ PUT and MQ GET operations. There is an integration which involves SDR-RCVR setup as well.

For all the application specific communication we are aiming to use a F5 VIP

Single MQ PUT Queue Manager - Runs in multi instance mode across 2 Queue managers. Create a VIP and add the 2 servers with listener port on VIP.

2 MQ GET Queue Managers - They also run in multi instance mode across 2 servers. Applications connect to both of them for consuming the load. Create 2 individual VIPs for each of the 2 MQ GET queue managers.

The applications to use the VIP endpoints while performing MQ PUT and MQ 1GET

1- Instead of MQ Sever a IP(port),Server b IP(Port) -----> Use MQ GET VIP IP(Port)

2- Instead of MQ Sever a IP(port),Server b IP(Port) ------>Use MQ GET

Is there any constraint while using F5 VIP for such mode of connectivity with MQ ?
The Distributed setup would also use VIP for connecting to MQ PUT Queue Manager with SDR-RCVR pair. The VIP here is just masking the IP address and not load balancing so i don't see any issues with either client mode of connectivity or with Dsitributed ( I guess if we use F5 VIPs or any other H/W load balancer where the connections get load balanced between multiple queue managers, there are some limitations for Client JMS connections.)

Note - rationale for using VIP and not direct IP address. We are planning to setup a DR infra on different Datacentres. Using VIP if the primary DCs are down we can redirect the connections to DR setup.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: using F5 VIP for MQ Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dextermbmq wrote:
Is there any constraint while using F5 VIP for such mode of connectivity with MQ ?

If you're putting sender / receiver pairs through an F5, the channel sequence numbers will mismatch every time traffic switches to a different queue manager. IMHO more trouble than it's worth.

If you're putting client channels through an F5, be sure the sessions are set to be sticky, and each client goes to the same queue manager for a given session. Otherwise works great and (pause for angry mob to light torches) IMHO works better than a CCDT for distributing traffic.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: using F5 VIP for MQ Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
... Otherwise works great and (pause for angry mob to light torches) IMHO works better than a CCDT for distributing traffic.

I'm all out of matches, but...

...Uniform Clusters will now do the job, and dextermbmq has mentioned that "...Full and Partial repositories are configured on 2 Servers...", which implies clustering - provided the MQ Server and Client version supports it.

Of more concern to me is this statement: Full and Partial repositories are configured on 2 Servers in multi instance mode. I'm sure I read in the KC somewhere that it is recommended to NOT use MI queue managers as FRs, but I can't check at the moment as the KC seems to be down.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

One of my reasons for making this inflammatory claim is that it lines MQ clients up with web clients, giving a consistent load balancing strategy across the estate. One thing to manage, one technology to monitor and no claims of dark MQ magic in the wires.
dextermbmq
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: using F5 VIP for MQ Reply with quote

Voyager

Vitor wrote:

If you're putting sender / receiver pairs through an F5, the channel sequence numbers will mismatch every time traffic switches to a different queue manager. IMHO more trouble than it's worth.

If you're putting client channels through an F5, be sure the sessions are set to be sticky, and each client goes to the same queue manager for a given session. Otherwise works great and (pause for angry mob to light torches) IMHO works better than a CCDT for distributing traffic.

Ahh..Thanks for highlighting the issue with message sequence. In case of a DR setup where I was planning to move the VIP to the DR MQ PUT queue manager which would indeed cause the sequence number mismatch error. Probably if availability of MQ infrastructure is a priority (rather than waiting for the infra to come up in the event of disaster) one solution is to still go for this approach and be ready to reset the sequence number every time such switching occurs

On the Client connections part -

I have 2 Queue Managers for MQ GET - runs in multi-instance mode on 2 servers and 1 Queue Manager for MQ PUT again in MI mode. For every queue manager I am planning a dedicated VIP. Hence, one VIP will redirect client connections to only a single queue manager always although running on 2 servers in MI mode. In that case I guess client sessions will not be causing any trouble in ideal scenario.

In the event of disaster, once the switch is complete to DR queue Managers, probably client applications may need a restart ?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: using F5 VIP for MQ Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dextermbmq wrote:
In the event of disaster, once the switch is complete to DR queue Managers, probably client applications may need a restart ?

gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: using F5 VIP for MQ Reply with quote

Jedi

dextermbmq wrote:
... In that case I guess client sessions will not be causing any trouble in ideal scenario.
...In the event of disaster, once the switch is complete to DR queue Managers, probably client applications may need a restart ?

You should set it up in a non-production environment to prove that it works as desired, and not rely on comments from a random bunch of people who have probably not tried your proposal.
dextermbmq
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: using F5 VIP for MQ Reply with quote

Voyager

gbaddeley wrote:
dextermbmq wrote:
... In that case I guess client sessions will not be causing any trouble in ideal scenario.
...In the event of disaster, once the switch is complete to DR queue Managers, probably client applications may need a restart ?

You should set it up in a non-production environment to prove that it works as desired, and not rely on comments from a random bunch of people who have probably not tried your proposal.

Yes. That's the plan.

Having comments from others does help though. Lot of times we do miss details and realize only if we hit the roadblock or is pointed by someone. Like in this case, about sequence number in distributed setup

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » using F5 VIP for MQ
Jump to: