ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity
 
  MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups
 
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages
 
RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexWebSphere Message Broker SupportESQL tooling

Post new topicReply to topic
ESQL tooling View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
nick12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:40 am Post subject: ESQL tooling Reply with quote

Novice

Joined: 14 Jan 2020
Posts: 14

Do any of you use any ESQL tooling? (Linters, formatters, etc)?

I've found the warnings given by the toolkit to be *very* basic and unopinionated. Also, the built in formatter feels useless since it, for some reason, prepends a newline to the file every time it's run (I'm on 10.0.0.7)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:03 am Post subject: Re: ESQL tooling Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25917
Location: Texas, USA

nick12 wrote:
Do any of you use any ESQL tooling? (Linters, formatters, etc)?


If you're not using the supplied IBM Toolkit:

- why?
- how?

nick12 wrote:
I've found the warnings given by the toolkit to be *very* basic and unopinionated.


Quote some examples, especially where you feel it's worse than the unhelpful statements IBM traditionally peppers its products with.

nick12 wrote:
Also, the built in formatter feels useless since it, for some reason, prepends a newline to the file every time it's run (I'm on 10.0.0.7)


Do you mean the formatter within the development toolkit which formats the ESQL?

If yes, that sounds very odd and is not something I've experienced
If no, you have a code issue.
_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nick12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Joined: 14 Jan 2020
Posts: 14

I *am* using the toolkit. I've just found it rather basic in the aspects I mentioned compared to linters/formatters I've used with other technologies.

I wasn't comparing against "the unhelpful statements IBM traditionally peppers its products with", but against other equivalent tools I'm familiar with with other technologies. A simple example is warnings against something deprecated like https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ak05520_.htm. I would also expect any sufficiently advanced linter to support/require special comments to suppress lints/warnings, and maybe have a configuration to enable/disable certain groups of lints.

Within the toolkit, when I hit ctrl+shift+f (Format), it does format but prepends a newline to the whole file, which speaks to me of how unused/unmantained it is. Also, I'd expect any half decent formatter to have rich configuration ability (Not everyone wants to format their code the same way).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25917
Location: Texas, USA

nick12 wrote:
I *am* using the toolkit. I've just found it rather basic in the aspects I mentioned compared to linters/formatters I've used with other technologies.


Welcome to the world of IBM.

nick12 wrote:
I wasn't comparing against "the unhelpful statements IBM traditionally peppers its products with", but against other equivalent tools I'm familiar with with other technologies. A simple example is warnings against something deprecated like https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ak05520_.htm.


Welcome to the world of IBM.

nick12 wrote:
I would also expect any sufficiently advanced linter to support/require special comments to suppress lints/warnings, and maybe have a configuration to enable/disable certain groups of lints.


The Toolkit is limited to whatever features it can inherit from Eclipse. I do seem to recall some ability to suppress messages that someone who actually remembers how to do it will probably post about in a minute.

I've worked with IBM (not just this product) long enough to have a mild case of Stockholm Syndrome, and accept that the messages are a bit rubbish, the editor's a bit clunky and the world doesn't move like everything else.

nick12 wrote:
Within the toolkit, when I hit ctrl+shift+f (Format), it does format but prepends a newline to the whole file, which speaks to me of how unused/unmantained it is.


Given that it's near-impossible to develop ESQL in anything else, I refute the unused statement and it's certainly not unmaintained. A very quick and non-comprehensive test of your problem on my copy does not display the same behavior; I'd be interested in the experiences of the reading population.....chaps?

nick12 wrote:
Also, I'd expect any half decent formatter to have rich configuration ability (Not everyone wants to format their code the same way).


Again, welcome to the world of IBM and the Eclipse platform. Again I remember some level of ability to configure the way the formatter behaves but again not something I use.

Personally, I like everyone's code formatted the same way because it help me when I need to pick up someone's code and follow it because they're on vacation & it's going contact admin.

Like I said, a lot of years
_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nick12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Joined: 14 Jan 2020
Posts: 14

> Personally, I like everyone's code formatted the same way because it help me when I need to pick up someone's code and follow it because they're on vacation & it's going contact admin.

Yes, I completely agree. However no one in my company seems to use the built in formatter, and I've experienced the issue I mentioned in my and 2 coworkers' installations, which makes it kind if unusable. (Other goodies such as being able to check if everything is formatter from the CLI for CI or running the formatter on a whole folder of files would be nice).

I'm not so sure we're 100% bound to the one shipped with the toolkit, I believe eclipse allows one to add java made plugins? I've heard one can make formatters using these. It might be possible to replace the default one with a custom one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25917
Location: Texas, USA

nick12 wrote:
Yes, I completely agree. However no one in my company seems to use the built in formatter, and I've experienced the issue I mentioned in my and 2 coworkers' installations, which makes it kind if unusable.


Weird. A PMR may help.

nick12 wrote:
(Other goodies such as being able to check if everything is formatter from the CLI for CI or running the formatter on a whole folder of files would be nice).


An RFE may help.

nick12 wrote:
I'm not so sure we're 100% bound to the one shipped with the toolkit, I believe eclipse allows one to add java made plugins? I've heard one can make formatters using these. It might be possible to replace the default one with a custom one.


That's way past my Java and my Eclipse knowledge. I do know that the Toolkit is one single Eclipse plugin so presumably you'd need to replace / import all the non-formatting code (like the production of bar files and so forth) from the IBM one. And repeat it for each fix pack IBM issues.

But like I said, not my space at all. I wish you good fortune with your endeavor and others may be able to post more helpful advice.
_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 1096

FWIW, I tend to agree with you. ESQL is a domain-specific language with all of the usual advantages and disadvantages. In an ideal world, the ESQL editor would be open-sourced so that people who care could have a crack at fixing the most annoying 'features'. On the whole, though, it's not bad. I've certainly seen worse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:
Post new topicReply to topic Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum IndexWebSphere Message Broker SupportESQL tooling
Jump to:



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP


Theme by Dustin Baccetti
Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Copyright MQSeries.net. All rights reserved.