ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity
 
  MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups
 
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages
 
RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportChannels, when to share, when not to share

Post new topicReply to topic
Channels, when to share, when not to share View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
fswarbrick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:24 pm Post subject: Channels, when to share, when not to share Reply with quote

Newbie

Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 9

So we're a very small user of MQ, and we don't truly have an expert. My question is around MQI channels and if they should be "shared" by multiple clients, or if each client should have a unique channel. For example, in our dev/test/cert environment we have the same application running on multiple servers. Whoever decided on how to set up the channels decided that each server should have its own dedicated channel. On the other hand, for the next application all of the servers connect using the same channel. The channel is named after the application, but is not "segregated" by server.

Now that we're adding a third MQ using application I'm having trouble finding any good guidance on the matter. I'm interested in your thoughts. Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Joined: 15 May 2001
Posts: 3141
Location: London, ON Canada

From a support point of view, it is far better for each application to have their own channel. Hence, if you ever have a problem with the application, you can stop the channel without affecting other applications connecting to the queue manager.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
_________________
Capitalware: Transforming tomorrow into today.
Connected to MQ!
Twitter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fswarbrick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie

Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 9

RogerLacroix wrote:
From a support point of view, it is far better for each application to have their own channel. Hence, if you ever have a problem with the application, you can stop the channel without affecting other applications connecting to the queue manager.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

That makes sense.

If the same application is, say, load balanced to several servers, its OK for them all to use the same channel?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Joined: 15 May 2001
Posts: 3141
Location: London, ON Canada

fswarbrick wrote:
If the same application is, say, load balanced to several servers, its OK for them all to use the same channel?

Do you mean MI queue managers or between different clustered queue managers? You should have the same application setup across each unique MQ environment. i.e. DEV/QA/UAT/PROD

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
_________________
Capitalware: Transforming tomorrow into today.
Connected to MQ!
Twitter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fswarbrick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie

Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 9

RogerLacroix wrote:
fswarbrick wrote:
If the same application is, say, load balanced to several servers, its OK for them all to use the same channel?

Do you mean MI queue managers or between different clustered queue managers? You should have the same application setup across each unique MQ environment. i.e. DEV/QA/UAT/PROD

One queue manager per environment, but multiple servers running the same application connecting to each QM.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 2032
Location: Melbourne, Australia

fswarbrick wrote:
RogerLacroix wrote:
From a support point of view, it is far better for each application to have their own channel. Hence, if you ever have a problem with the application, you can stop the channel without affecting other applications connecting to the queue manager.
Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

That makes sense.

If the same application is, say, load balanced to several servers, its OK for them all to use the same channel?

If an app environment has load balanced MQ client connections across several different MQ queue managers, its normal and most practical to use the same channel name.

I agree with Roger, its standard best practice for each app to have their own MQI channel name.

Also, the name can include the environment. This lessens the chance that an app accidentally connects to the wrong environment. eg. MYAPP.DEV.SVRCONN, MYAPP.PROD.SVRCONN
A 20 character limit applies. '.SVRCONN' is actually superfluous, so can be left out, or appreviated to '.CL' or similar meaningful suffix.
_________________
Glenn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Joined: 24 Feb 2004
Posts: 723
Location: Germany

fswarbrick wrote:
RogerLacroix wrote:
fswarbrick wrote:
If the same application is, say, load balanced to several servers, its OK for them all to use the same channel?

Do you mean MI queue managers or between different clustered queue managers? You should have the same application setup across each unique MQ environment. i.e. DEV/QA/UAT/PROD

One queue manager per environment, but multiple servers running the same application connecting to each QM.


Serveral app servers connecting to the same QMgr may share the same channel. But you should think about the no. of channel instances. On distributed QMgrs the channels are limited too 100 active at the same time (total across all channel names). You shoudl think about

- increasing this number (in "qm.ini")
- limit the instances on channel base (using Attribute MAXINST)
- limit the instances on server/IP base (using Attribute MAXCINST)
_________________
Regards
Hubert
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fswarbrick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie

Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 9

Thanks all. I have options to consider.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 8513
Location: US: west coast, almost. Otherwise, enroute.

HubertKleinmanns wrote:

- limit the instances on server/IP base (using Attribute MAXCINST)

MAXINSTC limits the maximum instances of the channel from an individual client.
_________________
There are two types of people in this world:
1) Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Joined: 24 Feb 2004
Posts: 723
Location: Germany

bruce2359 wrote:
HubertKleinmanns wrote:

- limit the instances on server/IP base (using Attribute MAXCINST)

MAXINSTC limits the maximum instances of the channel from an individual client.


1. You are correct, the Name is MAXINSTC, not MAXCINST (my fault).

2. An "individual client" means "individual IP" - MQ doesn't distinguish apps which come from the same IP (e. g. MQ Explorer and MQMON).
_________________
Regards
Hubert
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:
Post new topicReply to topic Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportChannels, when to share, when not to share
Jump to:



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP


Theme by Dustin Baccetti
Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Copyright MQSeries.net. All rights reserved.