ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Client data conversion when AMS is active without any policy

Client data conversion when AMS is active without any policy « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Cukermf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Client data conversion when AMS is active without any policy Reply with quote

Hello all,

thanks for reading my post, I hope you could help me.
We experiment something strange…
An application is running on AIX. AIX LOCALE is 859, while application is using page code 1208. Note that on the server, we have only conversion filelsets for 859, nothing for 1208.
This application is using a MQ client (v8.0.0.6), the MQ server is on Z/OS (v9.0.0), page code 500.
For a long time, the application can get the messages correctly. We know that in this case, the data conversion 500-1208 is done on the Z/OS side.

Now, we want to implement AMS on the Z/OS.
So I started AMS with only the site certificate. AMS is "empty" for now, there is no policy defined.

And the point is, now the application has an error when it get the messages on the Z/OS :
AMQ6047: Conversion not supported.

EXPLANATION:
WebSphere MQ is unable to convert string data tagged in CCSID 500 to data in CCSID 1208.

We have to install bos.iconv.ucs.* operating system filesets for 1208 on AIX; and then, it works correctly.

Can someone please confirm that in this case, the data conversion is done on the client part, i.e the AIX, as long as AMS is started, even it no policy is defined ?
That would mean there is some potential risks for all applications using the MQ on Z/OS !
I desperately try to find this in the knowledge center without success, and IBM seems to have difficulty to answer…

Many thanks for your answer, sorry for the long post.
Regards,
Frank
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Hello Cukermf,

on AIX the conversion in MQ depends on the languages, which are installed in AIX (this differs from platforms like Solaris or Linux, where MQ has ist own conversion tables).

So you have to find out the language in AIX, which is needed for the conversion between these code pages. Ask the AIX administrators for support - they have to find out and install this (these) language package(s).
Cukermf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

for those who are interested, here is the final word from IBM's labs…
RFE: 137798 has been submitted….
Thanks to all who thought about that problem.
Frank

"I've discussed this situation with the support team for the MQ client, and have confirmed that the behaviour observed by the customer is the expected behaviour in this scenario.

The reason for the different message conversion behaviour is due to the way the MQ client decides whether messages should be converted on the MQ server or within the client.
When a connection is made to a qmgr, the client establishes what capabilities are available on the qmgr. This includes whether the qmgr has AMS enabled.
Based on the capabilities of the qmgr, the client decides whether message conversion should be handled by the server or the client, and this decision applies to all message conversion for the duration of the connection.

Historically, conversion is normally performed on the server, which is what the customer is seeing in the case where AMS is not enabled.

With AMS enabled, however, the client has to take into account that some messages may be protected. The server cannot convert protected messages, because the unprotected content only becomes available once the message reaches the client. As a result, the client takes responsibility for message conversion.
Since the decision is made during connection start-up, before the client knows which queues will be accessed, it applies to the whole connection regardless of whether the queues being used contain protected messages or not.

There are a couple of options for ensuring that the conversion works:

1) Provide all the necessary conversion tables to allow the client to perform the required conversion.

2) For client applications which will not be accessing protected queues, it is possible to disable AMS support on the client, which would cause it to revert to requesting conversion on the server.
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Cukermf wrote:
1) Provide all the necessary conversion tables to allow the client to perform the required conversion.[/i]

On IBM plaforms these conversion tables are delivered by the operating system (AIX, iSeries, z/OS). On other platforms MQ installations come with all the converison tables.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Client data conversion when AMS is active without any policy
Jump to: