ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Explorer and MQSC both showing wrong current queue depth

MQ Explorer and MQSC both showing wrong current queue depth « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: MQ Explorer and MQSC both showing wrong current queue depth Reply with quote

Disciple

I am seeing a very strange issue here. I just connected to our QMGR using MQ explorer(Version: 8.0.0.2) and I saw curdepth greater than 0 in some of the queues. and then I ran MQSC command on the LINUX server (where our MQ is installed and I saw the same curdepth).
but when I right click on the queue in MQE and tried browsing the Queue, it gave me a message that there are no messages to browse (very strange), first i though the message got consumed in the meantime but I checked the LGETTIME on the Queue status and it was 1 day ago time.

How come the MQE and MQSC are showing curdepth GT 0 , if there are no messages, is there a defect , has anybody else notices it?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Expired messages and uncommitted messages both contribute to queue depth but are not messages that are visible when browsing the queue.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

As Peter says......the most likely situation, of course, is that you have an application which has put some messages but not yet committed them . Issue a command such as
Code:
DIS QSTATUS(TEST) UNCOM
to see whether there are any uncommitted messages on the queue.

Cheers,
Paul.
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

PaulClarke wrote:
As Peter says......the most likely situation, of course, is that you have an application which has put some messages but not yet committed them . Issue a command such as
Code:
DIS QSTATUS(TEST) UNCOM
to see whether there are any uncommitted messages on the queue.

Cheers,
Paul.

Does uncommitted messages means the "Receiver listeners" won't be able to pick them?
also, I am not sure if they are uncommitted messages, there were in count of more than 4,500, an application will not keep so many uncommited message in queue.(and I have not seen that application has done it before, and no change has been done to that application).
my best guess is probably those messages were expired.
Is there a way to change the settings in MQE not to show expired message at all, as it creates confussion.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Well, if they are expired messages then I would expect the count to correct itself if you try to actually consume the messages.

There is no way I know of not to have expired messages counted in the DIS QUEUE CURDEPTH output. The point is that the Queue Manager doesn't yet know that they are expired. The Queue Manager does have a scavenger thread that will soon or later notice that the messages are expired and clean up the queue but the other way is just to try and MQGET them.

Cheers,
Paul.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

vicks_mq wrote:
Does uncommitted messages means the "Receiver listeners" won't be able to pick them?

Yes, because the uncommitted status means the sending application hasn't finally decided to put them.

vicks_mq wrote:
also, I am not sure if they are uncommitted messages, there were in count of more than 4,500, an application will not keep so many uncommited message in queue.(and I have not seen that application has done it before, and no change has been done to that application).

Proves nothing in my cynical opinion. It's perfectly possible that the commit limit is a configuration value and can be altered without changing the actual code. Perhaps someone tried to change the value from 100 to 1000 and hit the 0 one too many times.

vicks_mq wrote:
my best guess is probably those messages were expired.

I would be very surprised if that was the case, especially if there's something reading the queue (like the "receiver listeners" you mention above). A read operation will automatically remove all the expired messages on the queue and if there's no such read, the scavenger process my worthy associate mentions will clean them up. You don't mention the OS that you're using but on a distributed platform it runs about every 30 minutes. This makes it unlikely that 4,500 expired messages have sat there for a day and the scavenger has run about 50 times without noticing these messages, so it's much more likely these are uncommitted messages.

vicks_mq wrote:
Is there a way to change the settings in MQE not to show expired message at all, as it creates confussion.

No, because they count towards queue depth,

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Explorer and MQSC both showing wrong current queue depth
Jump to: