ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Does it undermine QMGR to backup periodically by "tar&a

Does it undermine QMGR to backup periodically by "tar&a « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
issac
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Does it undermine QMGR to backup periodically by "tar&a Reply with quote

Disciple

Hello, experts

I've read that a legitimate backup requires QMGR to stop first. It is done already. But due to the rarity of time window to make such a backup possible in my company, I plan to backup QMGR data about monthly by tarring QMGR Data and Log files with this:

Code:

tar -cvf MQAAAA_qmgrs.tar /var/mqm/qmgrs/MQAAA
tar -cvf MQAAA_log.tar /var/mqm/log/MQAAA

I understand the risk that such a snapshot backup could possibly fail to recover a failed QMGR.

My question is :
Would such an action potentially undermine QMGR, making it hang or crash?

I don't know if it's just me being paranoid or wise. I'm imaging such scenarios:

1) QMGR decides a secondary log is no longer needed(I'm using circular logging), and wants to remove it. But the log happens to be backed up by tar, which makes QMGR unable to remove the file, then QMGR perhaps would hang/crash?

2) QMGR is removing a queue file since a corresponding MQSC script is running. But that file happens to be undergoing the backup process. then QMGR perhaps would hang/crash?

Such a list goes on and on. So let's get back to the question. Is it all right to periodically backup with tar? Maybe someone has done so for a long time, does such scenarios ever occur?

production environment description:
1) MQ V9/V8/V7 on AIX/Linux.
2) Some of my systems are extremely busy even in small hours. 1000+ throughput.
3) We're a heavy user of MQ cluster. Almost every qmgr is in a cluster.

Thanks in advance.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Does it undermine QMGR to backup periodically by "t Reply with quote

Poobah

issac wrote:
:

Making a backup while a qmgr is active should not affect the stability or operation of the qmgr being backed up.

That is, unless tar/pax/cpio have been modified to destructively copy a file or filesystem.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Does it undermine QMGR to backup periodically by "t Reply with quote

Jedi

bruce2359 wrote:
issac wrote:
:

Making a backup while a qmgr is active should not affect the stability or operation of the qmgr being backed up. That is, unless tar/pax/cpio have been modified to destructively copy a file or filesystem.

However, if the backup is restored, there is a good chance that the qmgr will not start, because the queue files, log files, and other dynamic data files are not in a consistent state.

It is a good idea to backup up all the queue manager definitions, configuration files and customisations. This can be done while the qmgr is running. This allows a qmgr to be easily recreated if required.

Point-in-time full backups and then later restores could be a recipe for disaster, as duplicate or old messages could be redelivered to applications.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Does it undermine QMGR to backup periodically by "tar&a
Jump to: