ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity
 
  MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups
 
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages
 
RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexWebSphere Message Broker SupportLinking a promoted propery with a promoted property

Post new topicReply to topic
Linking a promoted propery with a promoted property View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
urufberg
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Joined: 08 Sep 2017
Posts: 13

Maybe you can help me out here.

I need to present in my BAR file, only one property that gives value to both a user defined property and a promoted property.
This is because I need to set the same value in both of them and I would like not to rely in the end user to do it (I have very good reasons for this).

Is what I intend to do possible in a certain way?

Thanks in advance

PD. I replied to this post since it made sense with the topic. I apologize if it's not the right place to do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25361
Location: Ohio, USA

urufberg wrote:
I replied to this post since it made sense with the topic. I apologize if it's not the right place to do it.


We prefer you to start a new topic referencing the old one, as the old one typically discusses a similar problem but on a different version of the software (the post you replied to was 6 years old and the OP is not active).

So I split this off from here and I don't think it's really the same problem.
_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25361
Location: Ohio, USA

urufberg wrote:
I need to present in my BAR file, only one property that gives value to both a user defined property and a promoted property.


I'd like a little more background if you could. What's the use case here? Most of the promoted properties are fairly system level (file name on a FileInput node, URL on a SOAP node, etc.) What use could user code make of such values?

Better information, better advice

_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25361
Location: Ohio, USA

The quick and dirty solution is of course to set the required value as a variable and have the script which does your deployments apply the same value to both properties.

You do deployments with a script, right......?
_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
urufberg
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Joined: 08 Sep 2017
Posts: 13

Vitor wrote:
You do deployments with a script, right......?

sure...

That's something that I should dig into, I'll definitely look into it.

Vitor wrote:
d like a little more background if you could. What's the use case here?


This is because the client I'm currently working for, asked for a flow that can schedule a timed signal everyday. As the information online I read suggested, I tried to advice them to use an outisder scheduler (like the Windows one for instance) but (and here is where the good stuff comes) for some 'company politic' they want the whole flow inside IIB (I call contact admin on that ).

Since the time is always in the range of 00:00 - 4:00 AM creating a flow with a single timeout request and turning it on at that specific time seems like a poor choice.

So what I did is a flow that starts with a timeout request everyday. Then (with a Compute Node) I load the Timeout Request in the Local Env with the time to execute (eg. 04:00 - this is a UDP), the date ('TODAY' or the next day depending if the hour is prior or after the systime) and the Unique Identifier (Also a UDP) for the Timeout Control that comes next (there is also more stuff to fill but that's about it).
Then it reaches the TimeoutControl and when the time comes it should send the message to the second Timeout Request who finally gives the signal. However the Unique Identifier in that TimeoutRequest is a promoted property and it must match the one setted in the Compute node which doesn't if my UDP doesnt match the promoted property.

I hope it was clear (enough =P ), feel free to ask for more information.
Also sorry If I made some mistakes writing; English is not my main language.

Kind Regards
Francisco

PD: I would appreciate if you can point me to the documentation on how to make a deployment script / good practices on the topic.

Edit: For some odd reason I wrote 'contact admin' but it changes to 'contact admin'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25361
Location: Ohio, USA

urufberg wrote:
Edit: For some odd reason I wrote 'contact admin' but it changes to 'contact admin'


The forum software replaces bad words with "contact admin", the theory being you can contact the admin to take a word off the banned list (the current list has some odd entries).

We all know what you mean.
_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25361
Location: Ohio, USA

urufberg wrote:
for some 'company politic' they want the whole flow inside IIB (I call contact admin on that ).


Yeah, the "you can do everything in one tool" management theory.

You need to point out (as part of your duty to your client) that they're crazy and a lot of the problems you're trying to solve are the ones already solved by scheduling software (reducing complexity and total cost of ownership in the IIB software).

urufberg wrote:
Since the time is always in the range of 00:00 - 4:00 AM creating a flow with a single timeout request and turning it on at that specific time seems like a poor choice.


Why?

urufberg wrote:
So what I did is a flow that starts with a timeout request everyday. Then (with a Compute Node) I load the Timeout Request in the Local Env with the time to execute (eg. 04:00 - this is a UDP), the date ('TODAY' or the next day depending if the hour is prior or after the systime) and the Unique Identifier (Also a UDP) for the Timeout Control that comes next (there is also more stuff to fill but that's about it).
Then it reaches the TimeoutControl and when the time comes it should send the message to the second Timeout Request who finally gives the signal.


That's very convoluted. Why not just start the flow? Are you trying to prevent duplicate flows running on the same day?

Also what do you do if the flow isn't running 3:55 - 4:05?

urufberg wrote:
PD: I would appreciate if you can point me to the documentation on how to make a deployment script / good practices on the topic.


It's as simple as coding the mqsiapplybaroverride and mqsideploy into a bat script, reading a file of override values. You can easily make it more flexible by using a tool such as Ant to do some of the heavy lifting of variable replacement.

The thing that trips up most people is that IIB commands have to run in a specific command shell so the first step of any script needs to be to run the mqsiprofile into the command shell of your script.

You'll find discussions on scripting deployments in this forum.
_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
urufberg
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Joined: 08 Sep 2017
Posts: 13

Quote:
they're crazy and a lot of the problems you're trying to solve are the ones already solved by scheduling software (reducing complexity and total cost of ownership in the IIB software).


Definitely a good compelling, just maybe without the 'crazy' part.

Quote:
Why?


The idea behind this is that in the event of one reset of the Node, every task scheduled remains executing at the proper time.

Quote:
Also what do you do if the flow isn't running 3:55 - 4:05?


In that case, since this flow has some priority, it should execute as soon as it gets up and running again. The whole scheduling problem is because, one, the load of work this apps have to manage, and two because it run some tasks to sync two external apps that then are part of the daily business flow.

Probably the best idea in this case would be to go back into the step 1 and try to negotiate doing it outside IIB.

However just out of curiosity, the question remains if its possible to make UDP and promoted properties match.

By the way thank you for the info about scripting, I'll look into that soon.

Regards,
Francisco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25361
Location: Ohio, USA

urufberg wrote:
Quote:
Also what do you do if the flow isn't running 3:55 - 4:05?


In that case, since this flow has some priority, it should execute as soon as it gets up and running again. The whole scheduling problem is because, one, the load of work this apps have to manage, and two because it run some tasks to sync two external apps that then are part of the daily business flow.


Which it won't - if the Timer control is outside of a 5 minute window of it's start time it throws an error.

urufberg wrote:
Probably the best idea in this case would be to go back into the step 1 and try to negotiate doing it outside IIB.


Pretty much.

urufberg wrote:
However just out of curiosity, the question remains if its possible to make UDP and promoted properties match.


Not that I'm aware of. Promoted properties are owned by the system and tooled accordingly. UDPs are code constructs.

Someone may know better.
_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
urufberg
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Joined: 08 Sep 2017
Posts: 13

Vitor wrote:
urufberg wrote:
Edit: For some odd reason I wrote 'contact admin' but it changes to 'contact admin'


The forum software replaces bad words with "contact admin", the theory being you can contact the admin to take a word off the banned list (the current list has some odd entries).

We all know what you mean.


I just read this, what I found funny is that I wrote "ba-na-na" but in plural form.
Thank you again for the help!

Regards,
Francisco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 25361
Location: Ohio, USA

urufberg wrote:
Vitor wrote:
urufberg wrote:
Edit: For some odd reason I wrote 'contact admin' but it changes to 'contact admin'


The forum software replaces bad words with "contact admin", the theory being you can contact the admin to take a word off the banned list (the current list has some odd entries).

We all know what you mean.


I just read this, what I found funny is that I wrote "ba-na-na" but in plural form.


Like I said, there are some odd entries on the banned list.
_________________
Honesty is the best policy.
Insanity is the best defence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:
Post new topicReply to topic Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum IndexWebSphere Message Broker SupportLinking a promoted propery with a promoted property
Jump to:



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP


Theme by Dustin Baccetti
Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Copyright MQSeries.net. All rights reserved.