ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Issues with a message flow using a HTTP input and a DB query

Issues with a message flow using a HTTP input and a DB query « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
IIBnewbie2018
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Issues with a message flow using a HTTP input and a DB query Reply with quote

Hello All,

Need your help and expertise with few issues I am facing with a message flow that uses HTTP input and a long running DB query.
I'll try and explain the working and the issues as best as I can.

>The message flow receives the requests via HTTP Input
    >It has 4 additional instances
    >Connects to a DB (Oracle) and runs a query, selected from a list of queries based on the input
    >While most queries are fast, there are a couple which could run for long (100 seconds or more) occasionally, based on data
    >The time out set in the HTTP Input node is 60 after which if the query is still running, the message flow returns a time out reply to the request
    >Picks up the next request after sending the timeout reply

Now the issues I face and the questions I have are as below
    >Since the message flow instance uses the same DB connection unless restarted, the instance which sent a timeout and picked up the next request cannot use the same connection because that is still busy servicing the previous query. Is there a way to overcome this?

>While all the 5 instances are busy running the queries, if a new request comes, I can see them in Outstanding Requests by running the below command
    mqsireportproperties <node> -e <integration server> -o HTTPConnector -r | grep -E url\|outstandingRequests
    But the issue is, the outstanding requests never decrease even if the message flow instance sends a timeout for a request and picks up another

>Also is there away to explicitly close the DB connection from IIB after the timeout happens?

>Can the HTTP Input timeout be set as a property that can be changed at runtime?

Thank you.
timber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
Since the message flow instance uses the same DB connection unless restarted, the instance which sent a timeout and picked up the next request cannot use the same connection because that is still busy servicing the previous query. Is there a way to overcome this?
One solution would be to decouple the routing from the querying via an MQ queue. Have one message flow per query type.
Alternatively, put the long-running queries on a separate HTTP endpoint - it's probably not good practice to have services with wildly differing non-functional characteristics on the same endpoint.

You can adjust the HTTP timeout via the BAR file properties (requires a redeployment) or via the Integration API.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Issues with a message flow using a HTTP input and a DB query
Jump to: