ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » [OracleJDBC v8] Can't get time right from a DateTime field

[OracleJDBC v8] Can't get time right from a DateTime field « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
urufberg
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: [OracleJDBC v8] Can't get time right from a DateTime field Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

Working with jdbc driver in classes12.jar, trying to get the time from a DateTime field in a table I get 00:00:00-3:00 Instead of the actual time in the table (10:37:23).

Doing some research I found that I need to set the property connectionProperties on "oracle.jdbc.V8Compatible=true" acording to
https://community.oracle.com/thread/1037716

To do this I looked up on IBM support and I found this:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21197705

However this only applies in the Toolkit at a DataSource level (and that only affects the connection in the definition). I was wondering how can I make this change in the configurable service (if possible at all) to fix the problem, or where should I make the change to set the fix permanent.

Some context:
IIB v10 fix 12
Windows Server 2012R2
Oracle 8
I'm working with the database definition (.dbm) and using the graphical mapping to do the SELECT.

Any Ideas?
Regards
urufberg
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

So, just to give an answer for anyone looking into the same problem, I was able to solve it.

Based on the documentation from oracle (link below) there are a couple of options:

Quote:
Prior to 9.2, the Oracle JDBC drivers mapped the DATE SQL type to java.sql.Timestamp. This made a certain amount of sense because the Oracle DATE SQL type contains both date and time information as does java.sql.Timestamp. The more obvious mapping to java.sql.Date was somewhat problematic as java.sql.Date does not include time information. It was also the case that the RDBMS did not support the TIMESTAMP SQL type, so there was no problem with mapping DATE to Timestamp.

In 9.2 TIMESTAMP support was added to the RDBMS. The difference between DATE and TIMESTAMP is that TIMESTAMP includes nanoseconds and DATE does not. So, beginning in 9.2, DATE is mapped to Date and TIMESTAMP is mapped to Timestamp. Unfortunately if you were relying on DATE values to contain time information, there is a problem.

There are several ways to address this problem in the 9.2 through 10.2 drivers:

Alter your tables to use TIMESTAMP instead of DATE. This is probably rarely possible, but it is the best solution when it is.

Alter your application to use defineColumnType to define the columns as TIMESTAMP rather than DATE. There are problems with this because you really don't want to use defineColumnType unless you have to (see What is defineColumnType and when should I use it? ).

Alter you application to use getTimestamp rather than getObject. This is a good solution when possible, however many applications contain generic code that relies on getObject, so it isn't always possible.

Set the V8Compatible connection property. This tells the JDBC drivers to use the old mapping rather than the new one. You can set this flag either as a connection property or a system property. You set the connection property by adding it to the java.util.Properties object passed to DriverManager.getConnection or to OracleDataSource.setConnectionProperties. You set the system property by including a -D option in your java command line.

java -Doracle.jdbc.V8Compatible="true" MyApp

Oracle JDBC 11.1 fixes this problem. Beginning with this release the driver maps SQL DATE columns to java.sql.Timestamp by default. There is no need to set V8Compatible to get the correct mapping. V8Compatible is strongly deprecated. You should not use it at all. If you do set it to true it won't hurt anything, but you should stop using it.

Although it was rarely used that way, V8Compatible existed not to fix the DATE to Date issue but to support compatibility with 8i databases. 8i (and older) databases did not support the TIMESTAMP type. Setting V8Compatible not only caused SQL DATE to be mapped to Timestamp when read from the database, it also caused all Timestamps to be converted to SQL DATE when written to the database. Since 8i is desupported, the 11.1 JDBC drivers do not support this compatibility mode. For this reason V8Compatible is desupported.

As mentioned above, the 11.1 drivers by default convert SQL DATE to Timestamp when reading from the database. This always was the right thing to do and the change in 9i was a mistake. The 11.1 drivers have reverted to the correct behavior. Even if you didn't set V8Compatible in your application you shouldn't see any difference in behavior in most cases. You may notice a difference if you use getObject to read a DATE column. The result will be a Timestamp rather than a Date. Since Timestamp is a subclass of Date this generally isn't a problem. Where you might notice a difference is if you relied on the conversion from DATE to Date to truncate the time component or if you do toString on the value. Otherwise the change should be transparent.

If for some reason your app is very sensitive to this change and you simply must have the 9i-10g behavior, there is a connection property you can set. Set mapDateToTimestamp to false and the driver will revert to the default 9i-10g behavior and map DATE to Date.

link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/jdbc-faq-090281.html

To give this property to the configurable service (V8Compatible) what you have to do is modify the connection url:

jdbc:oracle:thin:[user]/[password]@(description=(address_list=(address=(protocol=tcp)(port=[portNumber])(host=[serverName])))(connect_data=(SID=[connectionUrlFormatAttr1]))(connection_properties=(V8Compatible=true)))

Hope it helps someone

Regards

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » [OracleJDBC v8] Can't get time right from a DateTime field
Jump to: