ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » 3 Lack (=300,000) messages stuck in Transmission queue

3 Lack (=300,000) messages stuck in Transmission queue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
vinay.gollapalli
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 3 Lack (=300,000) messages stuck in Transmission queue Reply with quote

Novice

What is the problem with channel and why it is not able to consume them ?

If you need messages to be cleared from xmitq queue , create one more xmitq queue and copy messages from this queue to the neeq queue but before that make sure to have trigdata of xmitq queue is remvoed so that it will not stop moving messages.
narayanarvr wrote:
Hi All,

I am facing a problem, 3 lack messages stuck in transmission queue and in hung state, not clearing, what is the best way I could clear without loosing, and queue manager is running.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 3 Lack (=300,000) messages stuck in Transmission queue Reply with quote

Jedi Council

vinay.gollapalli wrote:

Good start...

vinay.gollapalli wrote:
If you need messages to be cleared from xmitq queue , create one more xmitq queue and copy messages from this queue to the neeq queue but before that make sure to have trigdata of xmitq queue is remvoed so that it will not stop moving messages.

...but a poor finish. What will the above do precisely? At most it's going to introduce complexity (and it's easier to temporarily increase the XMITQ depth while the issue is resolved, or stop the application producing more messages if possible), at least it's going to give you two XMITQs to deal with and the possibility of duplicate messages - because you suggested copying them.
vinay.gollapalli
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 3 Lack (=300,000) messages stuck in Transmission queue Reply with quote

Novice

Actually it was my mistake for not giving correct explanation before giving some suggestions .

For your point of increasing maxdepth for a transmit queue is a good point but still there are already 300k messages pending on the queue and it will just increase burden on queue .

There are multiple reasons for messages are not flowing via Sender channel to other side .

1) Either downstream qmgr was down.
2)Network issue .
3)may be some messages are broken on the queue which is not allowing message flow .

My point was that let them first move all messages in batches by just pointing channel to new xmitq and atleast they will come to know where exactly problem lies .

exerk wrote:
vinay.gollapalli wrote:

Good start...

vinay.gollapalli wrote:

...but a poor finish. What will the above do precisely? At most it's going to introduce complexity (and it's easier to temporarily increase the XMITQ depth while the issue is resolved, or stop the application producing more messages if possible), at least it's going to give you two XMITQs to deal with and the possibility of duplicate messages - because you suggested copying them.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 3 Lack (=300,000) messages stuck in Transmission queue Reply with quote

Jedi Council

vinay.gollapalli wrote:
For your point of increasing maxdepth for a transmit queue is a good point but still there are already 300k messages pending on the queue and it will just increase burden on queue...

Yes, it will, but why increase that burden to two queues?

vinay.gollapalli wrote:
...There are multiple reasons for messages are not flowing via Sender channel to other side .

2)Network issue .
3)may be some messages are broken on the queue which is not allowing message flow...

Please explain 'broken messages' because that's a new one on me unless you mean someone has deliberately put messages to the XMITQ and those messages do not have a valid transmission header.

vinay.gollapalli wrote:
...My point was that let them first move all messages in batches by just pointing channel to new xmitq and atleast they will come to know where exactly problem lies...

How will they know? Why not examine the queue manager logs and see if there's a message sequence number mismatch, or a communications issue etc.? Why not do some basic fault diagnosis before randomly trying 'something'?

Your problem determination is flawed, i.e. rather than determining the problem you are likely to add to it.
vinay.gollapalli
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 3 Lack (=300,000) messages stuck in Transmission queue Reply with quote

Novice

exerk wrote:
vinay.gollapalli wrote:
For your point of increasing maxdepth for a transmit queue is a good point but still there are already 300k messages pending on the queue and it will just increase burden on queue...

burden in the sense as they are not able to find out why there are 300k messages pending on the queue , the question is to how to clear up messages on the queue with out loosing them .

Yes, it will, but why increase that burden to two queues?

vinay.gollapalli wrote:
...There are multiple reasons for messages are not flowing via Sender channel to other side .

2)Network issue .
3)may be some messages are broken on the queue which is not allowing message flow...

I mean to say bad message may be some application could have published on remote queue which landed on xmitq queue .

Please explain 'broken messages' because that's a new one on me unless you mean someone has deliberately put messages to the XMITQ and those messages do not have a valid transmission header.

vinay.gollapalli wrote:
...My point was that let them first move all messages in batches by just pointing channel to new xmitq and atleast they will come to know where exactly problem lies...

How will they know? Why not examine the queue manager logs and see if there's a message sequence number mismatch, or a communications issue etc.? Why not do some basic fault diagnosis before randomly trying 'something'?

I totally agree with this point as i already mentioned i just replied to his query on his requirement .

point noted and will make sure to keep things straight and provide flawless answers by not confusing .
Your problem determination is flawed, i.e. rather than determining the problem you are likely to add to it.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 lakh = 1 hectokilo- ? Reply with quote

Jedi

rekarm01 wrote:
fjb_saper wrote:
Clearly Bruce I'll have to disagree 1K is still 1,000 units (see Kg, Km, KJ etc...)

'k' as in 'kilo' is lower-case, and represents a factor of 1,000, according to the SI.
Upper-case 'K', has usually been used informally to represent 1,000, and 'M' has sometimes been used to represent 1,024,000, but 'K', 'M' and 'G' have also been used more formally to represent powers of 1,024, specifically for describing computer memory capacity.

To avoid ambiguity, the IEC, among others, has published standards for separate binary prefixes about 20 years ago, but they haven't really caught on yet.

http://www.npl.co.uk/reference/measurement-units/si-prefixes/
True, "k" is "1000" in SI, but upper case "K" also has very common use in scientific and electronics literature to represent "1000".

It really should have been "K" in the SI standard, because all other multipliers >1 are uppercase and all multipliers <1 are lower case!

The multiplier for "micro" is also problematic, as it is the Greek letter mu (μ), whereas all other letters are English. I have found that mu is quite often written as the English "u". No one seems to be overly concerned about this.

It appears that SI will always be at odds with JEDEC, so intepretation of k, m, g, etc, depends on context.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Lack (=300,000) messages stuck in Transmission queue Reply with quote

Poobah

narayanarvr wrote:
Hi All,
I am facing a problem, 3 lack messages stuck in transmission queue and in hung state, ...

Please provide a better description of the issue you are seeing. There is no channel state (status) of 'HUNG'.

narayanarvr wrote:
... not clearing, what is the best way I could clear without loosing, and queue manager is running.

I'm going to presume that the messages have important information in them, and that merely 'clearing' them from the xmit queue represents a bad business decision.

Exactly and precisely, what errors do you find in the errors directories on BOTH qmgrs? What state are the channels in at both ends of the channels?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » 3 Lack (=300,000) messages stuck in Transmission queue
Jump to: