ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multiple System Cluster Transmit Queue Issue

Multiple System Cluster Transmit Queue Issue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
paleyplease
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Multiple System Cluster Transmit Queue Issue Reply with quote

Apprentice

6 QMGRs in a cluster where 2 are producers or putters, which can send to 4 downstream QMGRs which are all multi instance.

I updated the value on the 2 producer QMGRs DEFCLXQ to "CHANNEL", however I only see 3 new SCTQ.QMGR<A/B/C> created, but the 4th downstream still uses the existing SCTQ. I am wondering why not all 4 are using their own SCTQs.

Any help.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Is it possible you just haven't waited long enough? MQ will only make the change once the queue is empty or suspended with no in-flight messages I believe.

Do you use CLCHNAME ?

Cheers,

Paul
paleyplease
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I did make this change a good 2 weeks back. I even noticed the Dynamically created cluster sdr chls go in active due to no volume. I blasted some msgs via the sample program but still the 4th and final qmgrs SCTQ didnt get created.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Is it possible you have some uncommitted messages on the queue ? What is the result of DIS QSTATUS(SCTQ) UNCOM ?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

My preference is never to let the queue manager auto-define cluster transmission queues, especially in such a small cluster like you have. From the outset I define a 'static' cluster transmission queue first (along the lines of CLUSTERNAME.QMGRNAME, e.g. RETAIL.+QMNAME+) and ensure the channel name pattern in the CLCHNAME of the XMITQ is CLUSTERNAME.*

About the only time I do let queue managers do it themselves is if large persistent messages are going across the channels, and then I make damn sure that the CLUSRCVRs on the other end have a very small batch size, and preferably that size is 1 (one), otherwise I don't really see the utility in having multiple cluster transmission queues.

And I'm happy to debate the pros and cons of all views
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

It might make sense if a qmgr is auto-created and launched as a service - to meet a sudden and dramatic increase in requests.

Not to be too cynical here, but a sudden and dramatic increase in requests might be viewed as not understanding workload and/or poor planning for it. So, its a pro, and it's a con - a procon.
rammer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

What vewrsion of MQ is it, there was a bug for this in 7.5 fixed by later patches...
vinay.gollapalli
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple System Cluster Transmit Queue Issue Reply with quote

Novice

paleyplease wrote:
6 QMGRs in a cluster where 2 are producers or putters, which can send to 4 downstream QMGRs which are all multi instance.

I updated the value on the 2 producer QMGRs DEFCLXQ to "CHANNEL", however I only see 3 new SCTQ.QMGR<A/B/C> created, but the 4th downstream still uses the existing SCTQ. I am wondering why not all 4 are using their own SCTQs.

Any help.

What is the status of dis clusqmgr ?
paleyplease
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Its version 8.0.0.7
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I seem to recall testing this at 9.0.0.0. Gosh, how long ago was that?

You might want to look at the max outbound cluster channel setting. Run this mqsc command
DISPLAY QMGR CLWLMRUC

Post the results here.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

exerk wrote:
My preference is never to let the queue manager auto-define cluster transmission queues, especially in such a small cluster like you have. From the outset I define a 'static' cluster transmission queue first (along the lines of CLUSTERNAME.QMGRNAME, e.g. RETAIL.+QMNAME+) and ensure the channel name pattern in the CLCHNAME of the XMITQ is CLUSTERNAME.*

About the only time I do let queue managers do it themselves is if large persistent messages are going across the channels, and then I make damn sure that the CLUSRCVRs on the other end have a very small batch size, and preferably that size is 1 (one), otherwise I don't really see the utility in having multiple cluster transmission queues.

And I'm happy to debate the pros and cons of all views

exerk,
A couple years later, still the same thoughts regarding DEFCLXQ versus CLCHNAME vs everything just using SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE?

What benefit do you see predefine the XMITQs versus letting the QM define them?

With our move to MQ 9.1, I am considering moving to DEFCLXQ. To date we have always relied on a single SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE per QM. No issues rely with that. I think trouble shooting might be easier if there is a separate XMITQ to each QM. For example, if we get an alert for old messages on a cluster XMITQ, it will be easier and faster to understand the impact.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

PeterPotkay wrote:
A couple years later, still the same thoughts regarding DEFCLXQ versus CLCHNAME vs everything just using SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE?...

Yes for small clusters, but I may have to review that for big ones!

PeterPotkay wrote:
...What benefit do you see predefine the XMITQs versus letting the QM define them?...

It's about control in small clusters (I can be very retentive!), but what I don't like about DEFCLXQ is that all names start with SYSTEM. I have yet to try my hand at trying to redefine the model queue used.

PeterPotkay wrote:
...With our move to MQ 9.1, I am considering moving to DEFCLXQ. To date we have always relied on a single SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE per QM. No issues rely with that. I think trouble shooting might be easier if there is a separate XMITQ to each QM. For example, if we get an alert for old messages on a cluster XMITQ, it will be easier and faster to understand the impact.

I 'campaigned' for separate cluster transmission queues (for many of the reasons you state above), so was extremely glad to see them introduced as I was never comfortable with the 'one queue to rule them all' scenario.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

thanks exerk

I'm leaning towards giving it a go with DEFCLXQ. The names of the auto defined XMITQs can be predicted so my monitoring policies can be tuned to find them as they appear.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multiple System Cluster Transmit Queue Issue
Jump to: