ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » various questions about monitoring events

various questions about monitoring events « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
gechu
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: various questions about monitoring events Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi all!

Want to implement logging/monitoring at the business level. IIB Event Monitoring seems the way to go. Using IIB 10.0.07 with MQ 8.0.0.4.

Monitoring Event configuration can be set at deploy-time either from a "monitoring profile" or from montoring properties in a message flow. According to the docs, if a monitoring profile is used it would override the message flow monitoring properties.

It got my hopes up because I wanted to set flow specific monitoring like "log order-id" in a specific message flow, and set generic monitoring configuration like create a log event at the first- and last points in an integration in a monitoring profile.

I thought that "override" in this context could mean that both "monitoring profile" and monitoring properties at message flow level could co-exist, where the former would override the later in case where both configuration sources targeted the same message flow node and property. However it turned out it wasn´t possible to mix event configuration sources. Does anyone has a creative solution to this problem (mixing monitoring profile and message flow monitoring properties)?

One reason I don´t want to set flow specific monitoring configuration in a monitoring profile is that IBM states that "You must stop and start the integration server for the changes of property values to take effect".

To my surprise was it possible to update a monitoring profile and with new event sources which became active without having to restart the integration server. How do you handle changes of the monitoring profile XML in an production environment?

The environment which the IIB node operates got quite limited resources for various reasons. The default destination for Monitoring Events is (if present) a local MQ installation. I have that option, but nowadays IIB also contains an MQTT installation which it should be possible to direct the Monitoring Events to directly from IIB.

I haven´t performed any load tests yet (will do later) hence I don´t know the impact of resource utilization of using MQ or MQTT, but I assume MQTT would be the quicker option. What are the pro´s and con´s of using MQTT for monitoring events? BTW the final destination for this data will most likely be a cloud based service for visualization of events with option to configure notifications based on trigger and non-triggers.

Finally, are anyone using montoring events to capure message details in fault-handling scenarios as well? Today we have some sort of custom log4j implementation that I´m looking into alternatives to get replaced.

Thanks, Erik
timber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
I thought that "override" in this context could mean that both "monitoring profile" and monitoring properties at message flow level could co-exist, where the former would override the later in case where both configuration sources targeted the same message flow node and property. However it turned out it wasn't possible to mix event configuration sources. Does anyone has a creative solution to this problem (mixing monitoring profile and message flow monitoring properties)?
As you have already found, you cannot mix the two. If present, the monitoring profile is the only source of monitoring event settings.
Quote:
To my surprise was it possible to update a monitoring profile and with new event sources which became active without having to restart the integration server. How do you handle changes of the monitoring profile XML in an production environment?
Yes - it's no longer necessary to bounce the integration server in order to make it pick up changes to a configurable service. Most people prefer it that way.
In a production environment, you could disable monitoring events, then change the monitoring profile, then enable monitoring events.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » various questions about monitoring events
Jump to: