ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » MO71 Version 9.0.3 Available

MO71 Version 9.0.3 Available « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: MO71 Version 9.0.3 Available Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,

MQGem Software is pleased to announce that MO71 Version 9.0.3 is now available for download here http://www.mqgem.com/mo71_download.html

A number of customer requested features are included in this release.

The main features of this release are:
  • Export of AUTHREC in MQSC format
  • API Exerciser enhancements
  • Hostname display
  • User Commands
  • Message Operations are now Message Token based
  • Can now invoke the MQEdit Message Editor directly
  • New Default Max. Column preference option
  • New Max Column and Field lengths for HTTP browser output
  • More CipherSpecs considered weak
As before, any current licensed users of MO71 can run the new version on their existing licence.

If you don't have a licence and would like to try out MO71 please send a note to support@mqgem.com and a 1-month trial licence will be sent to you.

As always I welcome any comments or suggestions,

Cheers,
Paul.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Lots more details here:
https://mqgem.wordpress.com/2017/03/16/mo71-version-903-is-released/

Good stuff, Paul. A couple features I have requested (with others I'm sure), plus a couple others I didn't know I wanted but are very useful, like showing the hostname (not just the IP) of the client system on running channels.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Thanks Peter, I'm glad you like it. Yes the hostname feature could be a handy feature for many people. You can let it default to the system hostname or you can even have it display your own text such as 'Bob's Machine Ext.245667' or 'ACME Trading Company' etc etc

I think user commands also has the potential to make a number of things quicker and easier for Administrators.

Cheers,
Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

I thought hostname column might be useful, even before someone smart suggested it here. That reminds me that in List Contents window of Alter list dialog, next to each attribute could be a check box that controls if the column is eligible for extracting distinct values into a dropdown list for easier filtering. Because, such feature is usually not interesting for all fields. For hostname column, it would probably be interesting.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,
I am not entirely sure I follow what you are suggesting? Are you saying that, if checked, the field would appear at the top of the list dialog with the other command filter values? Remember, of course, that you can fairly easily filter on any field anyway by typing in a filter expression and you can always just sort by that column if you want to see all the entried together with the same value.

Cheers,
Paul.
jcv
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Hi,
I'm saying that if checked, dropdown list would appear in a header of the column. Right now, column header (area where attribute name is displayed) only allows sorting by clicking, in both directions. But this would allow also, that clicking on it displays distinct values in a dropdown list, clicking on which would allow filtering based on a selected value, in combination with what is already in a filter field. This is a usability request for simple cases. If some more complex filtering based on the attribute is needed, typing in a filter expression would still be needed, and that would override input from a dropdown list. As I say, such feature would not be interesting for each column displayed, plus, restricting it to just certain columns is better for performance reasons.

Cheers
jcv
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Do you mean something like this:-

Picture showing drop down on column title "Queue Type" giving choice of Alias, Cluster, or Local (since those are the values seen in the column).

in the way that spreadsheets do it?

Regards
Paul
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Interesting idea. I would find this very useful, because I constantly use it when I am in Excel.

If you start with the view that MO71 presents of queues (for example), you can easily export that into a csv format, then open that into Excel. In Excel, for any column, I can filter by values or portions of values in that column. And then do the same for another column, and then another column, until the view only shows what I am interested in.

Now, the same thing can be accomplished by using the existing Filter feature in MO71, but it does require a understanding how that works, knowing the syntax, knowing the names of the columns that MO71 needs for the filter rule. To be clear, it 100% can be done today with MO71 in its current implementation.

However, being able to do it with drop downs built right into the column headers would be easier. I do often give up getting my complex filters exactly as I want because I can't quickly get the syntax just right. Basic filters I use all the time, sometimes 2 or even 3 fields at a time. But for new users of MO71, or existing users who want to quickly filter 4 or 6 or 9 columns at a time, I can see how this would be a lot easier if it was accomplished by filter fields built right into each column header.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Paul, you and I were thinking the same thing, typing at the same time, on opposite sides of the planet.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Must be ESP - Excel Sensory Programming

We think the requirement is a good one, however, clearly this is a non-trivial requirement and will take some thinking about, so don't forget the syntax of filters just yet.

On the plus side, filters are much much more flexible than this interface would be, but I agree they can require some programming prowess.

Cheers
Paul
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Paul - if M071 is still Windows only - and I regret to say I haven't been paying that much attention - I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Visual Studio component that did this for you...

But I haven't looked at Visual Studio components in a while...

So, you see, I have this great idea that I haven't been paying enough attention to any part of to know if it's viable.

I'm always glad to help.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the 'suggestion'. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing MO71 is a Window program but you can run it under Linux now in the WINE Environment. However, I think you may be mixing your terms. Visual Studio is the IDE for compiling and debugging a program on Windows, it is not an execution environment like MFC or .NET.

There may well be an MFC class for something like this I don't know. I tend not to like frameworks because they tend to be clunky, they are limiting and often slow. MO71 is written in pure Win32 calls which is why it remains very small and pretty fast.

Regards,

Paul.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Well.

I meant "Visual Studio should have a drop in component for .NET/MFC to add to your UI, that would make it easy to add this feature."

I agree about frameworks, to the extent that they don't get in my way, make my job harder, or cause significant performance problems. I would always choose to use the requests module in Python instead of the plain URLLib3.

But JEE is far too many layers deep to make anything simple to run, debug, or even really code...

I recently saw a "design" app (did something like figure out color sets for UIs) that had a UI itself that was brutally VB6/MFC... So there are definitely some downsides to using .NET/MFC.

And .NET should easily run under WINE, or I believe there's even a somewhat native Linux runtime for it.

I can't speak to performance, again a little bit of knowledge...
jcv
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Paul, that's exactly what I meant, in spreadsheet manner, to be more precise, my inspiration was Excel.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

jcv,

Ok great. As I said before this is an interesting suggestion and seems to have a vote from at least one other customer We shall add it to the list of possible enhancements. Thank-you for your input.

mqjeff,

As I said before, MO71 does not use a framework so it is not really feasible to use a built-in class to do this just for this one feature, Not that either of us has any idea whether there really is a class for this feature anyway Of course there are other problems with Frameworks. They have a habit of changing underneath you - just when you thought it was all working you find that you are not longer compatible with FRAMEWORK 2.0. They limit portability, Frameworks are not always ported to all environments which can limit your reach. And they can seriously inhibit your fun. I am a programmer, I enjoy the challenge of writing code such as this. Where is the fun if someone else already dictated exactly how it will work and what it will look like ?

Cheers,
Paul.

ps. In the text above I was going to say the phrase 'n a s t y habit' (without the spaces) but if I add the text 'n a s t y' it gets replace with the text 'contact admin'. Anybody know what is going on here ?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » MO71 Version 9.0.3 Available
Jump to: