ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Validating JSON payload

Validating JSON payload « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ruimadaleno wrote:
In this high level architecture the REST service is simply a façade to the integration service that converts JSON (or other format) to XML and delivers it to the integration service ?

And thus I would question the value add of the REST service and why you'd bother to build one. Especially if (as I suspect) what you've labeled as "Consumer Apps" are other Systems of some kind within your organization.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Vitor wrote:

And thus I would question the value add of the REST service and why you'd bother to build one. Especially if (as I suspect) what you've labeled as "Consumer Apps" are other Systems of some kind within your organization.

Perhaps someone in the consumer Apps department has decided that REST is really COOL and is to be used from now on?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

smdavies99 wrote:
Vitor wrote:

Perhaps someone in the consumer Apps department has decided that REST is really COOL and is to be used from now on?

Hope your heating is feeling better.

The point remains sound. REST has a particular set of use cases, like all other techniques and standards. It's not applicable to all situation, and highly applicable to some.
ruimadaleno
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

We are not building rest services to deploy in production environment, we are building a proof of concept (POC) to understand what advantages/disadvantages, building, deployment and maintenance efforts/problems we can hit.

Vitor, can you point some scenarios where a REST service is a good choice over a "vintage" SOAP/XML service ?

As, for the consumer apps team they are also testing rest services and their feedback is that "in a javascript based app is more easy/quick to implement a rest service call than to implement a web service (soap/xml) call" (still validating this statement)

Happilly no 10000€/day consultant to force us to use REST

Rui Madaleno
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ruimadaleno wrote:
Vitor, can you point some scenarios where a REST service is a good choice over a "vintage" SOAP/XML service ?

I would recommend that you type "why should I use REST APIs" and "why do we need RESTful web services" into 2 Google searches and start reading.

A REST API is a good choice for a simple operation that doesn't involve confidential information. An example here is our ATM location service. We implemented that as a REST API specifically so we could publically expose it for the benefit of those mash up, app creating developers you here so much about. The information is publically available (corporately we're quite proud of our coverage) and we really don't much care who knows.

There's an XML version of the same interface that we use internally to determine that we have the right geographic coverage, update the status of the ATM, when it was last serviced and so forth.

ruimadaleno wrote:
As, for the consumer apps team they are also testing rest services and their feedback is that "in a javascript based app is more easy/quick to implement a rest service call than to implement a web service (soap/xml) call" (still validating this statement)

I think you'll find that this is the case.

ruimadaleno wrote:
Happilly no 10000€/day consultant to force us to use REST

Rejoice that you have escaped this fate. And your heating works.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Vitor wrote:

Rejoice that you have escaped this fate. And your heating works.

Well said Vitor.
my boiler will be replaced next week but in the interim, I'm sitting in front of a nice log fire with a pot of excellent Coffee at this very moment.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Validating JSON payload
Jump to: