ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Flow restarts after SAP outage

Flow restarts after SAP outage « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
abd.wsu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Flow restarts after SAP outage Reply with quote

Acolyte

We recently had an SAP outage and during that outage we saw some errors with the flows connecting to the SAP servers. However, the flows were still erroring out even after the server came back up.

We continues seeing the following errors.

Code:
BIP3532E: The Adapter 'UNKNOWN' has lost a connection to the remote SAP system 'sap.server.com|410|CCP.469588'. The reason for the failure was ''. The connection has been attempted the maximum number of times. No further attempt will be made to connect by this adapter until the flow is restarted.

We are using IIB9 on RHEL6. Is there any setting where this can be done dynamically? Another issue i noticed was in the SAP Adapter config server, i see the cnnectionIdleTimeout set to 0 and maxRetry set to blank.
But the error says maximum number of attempts made. What's the maximum? Is there a limit to no. of retries or the connectionIdleTimeout?
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Did you consider reloading the flows in question once the SAP servers were back? While it extends the period of the outage, it's a very small extension and it's not like your customers were getting service anyway.
abd.wsu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

@Vitor, yes we did. That's what we are doing right now. I was trying to think of a way of not doing it. Was hoping there was something dynamic that can take care of it.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You'd see the same issue if you had (for example) a SAP adapter in a WAS configuration. Or a JDBC connection to WAS.

There may be something you can set up, and I'll defer to anyone who knows SAP better than I do. But IMHO the best, safest & cleanest way to recover from an infrastructure system outage is to reset / reload / restart any systems with dependent connections to it.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Used from a different product the JCO SAP adapter has it's own retry logic. However this means that you can wait up to an hour after the system is back up for the adapter to reconnect. On the other hand, I never had an outage long enough that the max retry was reached.

Your message is clear enough: the max retry of the adapter was reached and you will have to stop and start the flow to reacquire the connection.

It is one of those things with dependent systems and a synchronous connection...
abd.wsu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

So, i openned a PMR with IBM hoping to be routed to an RFE, but instead they routed me to use retryInterval and retryLimit. I am thinking of setting this up for all the adapters i can set this on. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it ok to set this up? Is there an ideal value i need to set?
They also provided me with a link that explains 2 scenarios, once with adapter at startup with SAP down, and setting up retryConnectionOnStartup to true. Another when the adapter is running and SAP goes down. For the second scenario for some reason, the retryInterval is doubled for each retry attempt with the retryLimit. So, if the retryInterval is 1 sec it will go, 1,2,4,8,16....and so on till the retry limit is reached. Not sure why that is setup that way.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

abd.wsu wrote:
So, i openned a PMR with IBM hoping to be routed to an RFE, but instead they routed me to use retryInterval and retryLimit. I am thinking of setting this up for all the adapters i can set this on. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it ok to set this up? Is there an ideal value i need to set?
They also provided me with a link that explains 2 scenarios, once with adapter at startup with SAP down, and setting up retryConnectionOnStartup to true. Another when the adapter is running and SAP goes down. For the second scenario for some reason, the retryInterval is doubled for each retry attempt with the retryLimit. So, if the retryInterval is 1 sec it will go, 1,2,4,8,16....and so on till the retry limit is reached. Not sure why that is setup that way.

That's the standard SAP JCO way. Until the retry interval reaches 1 hour... It keeps then retrying until the retry limit is reached at which point no more attempt is made.
This is to avoid trying all the time while the system is down. So when the system is back up it may take up to an hour for the connection to reestablish. If you need it sooner you can always bounce the adapter or in your case the flow...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Flow restarts after SAP outage
Jump to: