ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity
 
  MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups
 
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages
 
RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexIBM MQ Installation/Configuration SupportUpgrade to MQ 8 or 9?

Post new topicReply to topic
Upgrade to MQ 8 or 9? View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
artrod439
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:06 pm Post subject: Upgrade to MQ 8 or 9? Reply with quote

Newbie

Joined: 11 Nov 2013
Posts: 3

I have a client looking to upgrade their MQ environment from V7.1. We will be doing a new installation including the hosts on RHEL 7.2. It's a small environment and the upgrade needs to be complete in Dev, QA and Prod by March 30th.

I am looking for any opinions on whether to go to MQ 8 or MQ 9. If we go to MQ 9 it will be LTSR not CD for this client. My inclination is to take them to 9 to get them as up to date a possible, but am always a bit apprehensive about going to the newest x.0 release of a product.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Posts: 6070
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

you have time to properly test their application(s) with BOTH versions of MQ.

You never know what might work and what might not work until you do proper testing.
It might be that one or more applications need updates to work with MQ V9 yet work find with V8.
You will also need to test the changes you will have to make to your systems because of the different security model in V8 and beyond.

I'd write a test plan that covered both versions and when the results are in, make an informed decision.
Even if some application changes for V9 are needed (don't forget remote clients) they might be available before you have to cut over. If these changes are not going to be available until after your cot-over date then you can at least plan a move to V9 later in 2017.

We can't tell you what to do. You have to discover that for yourself.
Also, planning upgrades is all part of long term support. Get used to it.
_________________
WMQ User since 1999
MQSI/WBI/WMB/'Thingy' User since 2002
Linux user since 1995

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
artrod439
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie

Joined: 11 Nov 2013
Posts: 3

smdavies99 wrote:
you have time to properly test their application(s) with BOTH versions of MQ.

You never know what might work and what might not work until you do proper testing.
It might be that one or more applications need updates to work with MQ V9 yet work find with V8.
You will also need to test the changes you will have to make to your systems because of the different security model in V8 and beyond.

I'd write a test plan that covered both versions and when the results are in, make an informed decision.
Even if some application changes for V9 are needed (don't forget remote clients) they might be available before you have to cut over. If these changes are not going to be available until after your cot-over date then you can at least plan a move to V9 later in 2017.

We can't tell you what to do. You have to discover that for yourself.
Also, planning upgrades is all part of long term support. Get used to it.


Well, thanks for all that, I suppose my original post was not clear, or perhaps I should have posted in the general forum.

I was not looking for anyone to tell me what to do, and I'm well aware of the need to, and experience in the execution of properly planing upgrades to include testing.

I was really asking for any experiences with upgrading to MQ v9 at this point in time, rather than waiting for a period of time to stay off the leading edge. So was looking to find if others have made the jump to MQ v9 in production environments, and if there is any reason to think it might be better to wait for the first Fix Pack as was a common practice with upgrading to earlier versions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 19093
Location: LI,NY

If you look at the number and severity of the APARs for known defects, I'd say wait for 9.0.0.1...
_________________
MQ & Broker admin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 1121
Location: Derby City, USA

Be aware that the Support Model is different at MQ V9.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:
Post new topicReply to topic Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum IndexIBM MQ Installation/Configuration SupportUpgrade to MQ 8 or 9?
Jump to:



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP


Theme by Dustin Baccetti
Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Copyright MQSeries.net. All rights reserved.