ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IBM Integration Bus on AIX - IBM Power8 Virtual Machine

IBM Integration Bus on AIX - IBM Power8 Virtual Machine « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mbwagner
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: IBM Integration Bus on AIX - IBM Power8 Virtual Machine Reply with quote

Novice

Hello,

Need your inputs on IIBV10 compatibility on IBM Power8 VM - aix virtual machine.

My present IIBV10 - application are hosted on AIX physical servers.
Now there is additional requirement on hardware resources for the same applications as volumes will be increased so our capacity/server team has allocated 2 frames on Power8 which are virtual.

My question is :-
1) MQ V7.5 and IIBV10 products are compatible with IBM Power8 Virtual - AIX os.
2) Present MQ cluster and IIB brokers are running on physical AIX lpars, now if we add 2 new virtual nodes to horizontally add in the existing MQ and IIB cluster services...Is it compatible?
3) If it is compatible then which IIB and MQ product edition need to be install on virtual nodes?
4) IBM Integration Bus Hypervisor Edition and IBM PureApplication System is required to install MQ and IIB V10 on virtual node?

Kindly provide your inputs as I newbie on IIB and MQ on AIX virtual node/machine.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I don't think it matters to MQ or IIB what is physical and what is virtual.

Despite the claims of vendors that everything has changed every few years, I have found that computers generally consist of CPU, Memory, Disk and Network - no matter if they are real or virtual.

But I must admit to not knowing what the hypervisor edition does.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: IBM Integration Bus on AIX - IBM Power8 Virtual Machine Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mbwagner wrote:
1) MQ V7.5 and IIBV10 products are compatible with IBM Power8 Virtual - AIX os.

If the MQ & IIB system requirement pages say those versions are, then yes. Otherwise no.

mbwagner wrote:
2) Present MQ cluster and IIB brokers are running on physical AIX lpars, now if we add 2 new virtual nodes to horizontally add in the existing MQ and IIB cluster services...Is it compatible?

If you've got MQv7.5 running already, and you add 2 new MQv7.5 queue managers to the cluster, how exactly would the cluster even know these 2 queue managers are running on virtual machines? Never mind care? Would you ask the same compatibility question if you were adding 2 queue managers hosted on Windows, Solaris or z/OS?

(If yes, then even as a newbie you need to re-read the docs)

mbwagner wrote:
3) If it is compatible then which IIB and MQ product edition need to be install on virtual nodes?

Whichever ones you want - see both my answers above. There's no good reason why you couldn't have a cluster with 2 v7.5 queue managers and 2 v8 if that suited you.

Again, there's newbie and there's not read the documentation.

mbwagner wrote:
4) IBM Integration Bus Hypervisor Edition and IBM PureApplication System is required to install MQ and IIB V10 on virtual node?

IBM PureApplication system isn't the same as a virtual AIX machine - why has that just turned up?

If you want to use Hypervisor, use Hypervisor. If you don't, don't.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:

It's what happened after rpm and VMware got drunk one night. They have joint custody, rpm pays support and has a visit every other weekend.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Vitor wrote:
zpat wrote:

It's what happened after rpm and VMware got drunk one night. They have joint custody, rpm pays support and has a visit every other weekend.

You must have misunderstood the judge. VMware has sole custody and rpm just has visitation rights...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IBM Integration Bus on AIX - IBM Power8 Virtual Machine
Jump to: