ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Java key size encryption - restricted

Java key size encryption - restricted « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
avieira
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Java key size encryption - restricted Reply with quote

We're trying to decrypt an AES message using a JCN but we're getting an exception concerning illegal key size.

A bit of googling explains that Java restricts usage of encryption algorithms to 128-bit keys, which goes against our 256-bit key.

It is suggested to replace 2 jar files in the security folder of our local Java installation (local_policy.jar and US_export_policy.jar). In our case it would be WMB/IIB's java folder.

Those 2 jar files are composed of *.policy files used to restrict security policy. When we tried replacing them all our SFTP connections started to fail and the syslog showed multiple: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax.crypto.b (initialization failure).

I did try editing those policy files manually to allow AES 256-bit, but we keep getting the same exceptions.

Has anyone tried to do something similar?

In case it is relevant we're using the old un-supported WMB v7006 on a linux server.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Java key size encryption - restricted Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

avieira wrote:
In case it is relevant we're using the old un-supported WMB v7006 on a linux server.

It's very relevant. Are you sure the (very old) JVM that goes with that unsupported version supports a key that wide? Is compatible with the policies / jar files you're using?

It works for me under v9.0.0.5. For the benefit of possibly skeptical regular readers and in the interests of full disclosure, I didn't make the changes myself but approved them and watched in a supervisory manner as my minions changed jar files and other Java magics.

I think I did a very creditable job of looking like I knew what was happening....
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSKM8N_8.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bk58210_.htm

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSKM8N_8.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bk58220_.htm

You might not have a configurable service available in 7.0.x
avieira
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I noticed this problem, instead of replacing the jar files I edited them. The policy file that restricts the key sizes is found on the local_policy.jar and is named default_local.policy. Here are its contents:

grant {
permission javax.crypto.CryptoPermission "DES", 64;
permission javax.crypto.CryptoPermission "DESede", *;
permission javax.crypto.CryptoPermission "RC2", 128,
"javax.crypto.spec.RC2ParameterSpec", 128;
permission javax.crypto.CryptoPermission "RC4", 128;
permission javax.crypto.CryptoPermission "RC5", 128,
"javax.crypto.spec.RC5ParameterSpec", *, 12, *;
permission javax.crypto.CryptoPermission "RSA", 2048;
permission javax.crypto.CryptoPermission *, 128;
};

I basically replaced the number in last line with 256, but I keep getting the same "NoClassDefFoundError".

I've tried looking for some documentation of the IBM J9 VM we're using, to check if AES 256 is supported, but I couldn't find anything relevant.

I'm aware this is a highly specific question to an old version of WMB but some ideas/directions would be very helpful.

Thank you

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Java key size encryption - restricted
Jump to: