ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to Read the MQ Queue manager Error Logs as non-mqm

How to Read the MQ Queue manager Error Logs as non-mqm « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Well, then I remember wrong.
umatharani
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

The " ValidateAuth=No" configuration should work. Please check the following URL for details on ValidateAuth.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21228976

If ValidateAuth is not working I suggest opening a PMR.
ghoshly
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I am currently on MQ 7.5 and WMB 8.

I see the similar issue for FDC files, core dump, trace etc. which is written by mqm user without accepting its UMASK value. That results not even read permission to those files for "Others" / World.

I believe this validate flag would be applicable for MQ 7.5. I would try this one.
Dread86
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi All,

-rw-rw---- 1 mqm mqm 2097833 Jun 5 05:52 AMQERR03.LOG
-rw-rw---- 1 mqm mqm 2097745 Jun 5 05:53 AMQERR02.LOG
-rw-rw---- 1 mqm mqm 1922389 Aug 10 04:08 AMQERR01.LOG

As i have mentioned in the previous posts my monitoring tool need to read this Queue manager logs. Say my monitoring tool runs with user "ABC" and as this ABC falls into other user, it wont have access to read the above queue manager logs. I can give the read permissions to ABC user but whnever qmngr updates the logs the permission is gone.

So i decided to add "ABC" user to mqm group so that ABC can directly read the log files. I wanted to know whether adding the "ABC" user as admin is correct option? By doing so ABC user has runmqsc access as mqm has and can do whatever wants. Is their any option to limit the runmqsc access to only ABC user present in mqm?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Dread86 wrote:
I wanted to know whether adding the "ABC" user as admin is correct option?

No.

Dread86 wrote:
By doing so ABC user has runmqsc access as mqm has and can do whatever wants.

Yes it can. That's why it's not the right option.

Dread86 wrote:
Is their any option to limit the runmqsc access to only ABC user present in mqm?

No. All members of the mqm group have mqm authority. That's how the product works.
Dread86
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hmm.. Any other best solutions for allowing ABC user to read the queue manager logs?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

ln -s ?

I think sudo can be configured to only allow specific commands?
Dread86
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I tried it earlier but didn't work. Let me give a try again.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Dread86 wrote:
Hmm.. Any other best solutions for allowing ABC user to read the queue manager logs?

You could use splunk (or similar) to copy the logs to a different location with appropriate security.
Dread86
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Splunk should also access the error log location as non-mqm user right, which is again the same problem. how is this possible?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Dread86 wrote:
Splunk should also access the error log location as non-mqm user right, which is again the same problem. how is this possible?

UMASK or Splunk option to give the copies the correct permissions for your ABC user.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

One site where I worked, we were not allowed (so called security experts) to give anyone including the MQ Admins unticketed access to the MQ Logs. They said we could read the data in the messages on the queues at the same time....

After a while the Unix Admins got fed up with our constant requests they set up a cron job to copy them to a location we could read. It ran every 5 minutes.
The Security people went ballistic until they were shown the logs and asked 'where is the customer sensitive data in them?'
Naturally, they could not point to it so they let us carry on reading the copied logs.

We still had to raise a ticket to do anything related to the information in the logs but the amount of suppoty tickets dropped by around 90%.

I wish there was a documented (and therefore supported) way of getting read only access to the logs for non mqm group users provided by IBM. Support in the real world would be an awfuyl lot easier.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You could probably set up a logstash-monitor (or any of a large number of other "read/parse/send" solutions) to run as the mqm user and place the error data somewhere else.
Dread86
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

smdavies99 wrote:
One site where I worked, we were not allowed (so called security experts) to give anyone including the MQ Admins unticketed access to the MQ Logs. They said we could read the data in the messages on the queues at the same time....

After a while the Unix Admins got fed up with our constant requests they set up a cron job to copy them to a location we could read. It ran every 5 minutes.
The Security people went ballistic until they were shown the logs and asked 'where is the customer sensitive data in them?'
Naturally, they could not point to it so they let us carry on reading the copied logs.

We still had to raise a ticket to do anything related to the information in the logs but the amount of suppoty tickets dropped by around 90%.

I wish there was a documented (and therefore supported) way of getting read only access to the logs for non mqm group users provided by IBM. Support in the real world would be an awfuyl lot easier.

I reached out to IBM regarding this non-mqm access. They too dont have any solution to this; instead recommending to run some cron jobs to change the file permissions regularly.[/quote]
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Or you could create an MQ service that ran something that read the logs and copied/stored them somewhere else...

Then this would run under mqm and have access.

There are a ton of solutions like the ELK stack https://www.elastic.co/ But logstash->elasticsearch->kibana is not a bad one.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How to Read the MQ Queue manager Error Logs as non-mqm
Jump to: