ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » queuemanager alert via email

queuemanager alert via email « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sathsiva
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: queuemanager alert via email Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,

Is there any standard scripting or coding is avliable to alert via email if queuemanager is down pls.

Regards,
Sathish
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

This sort of thing is normally carried out by one of the monitoring tools that exist for MQ (and IIB, WAS etc). These are not part of the standard product.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
sathsiva
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

We are able to use the monitoring tool for the MQ.But the email notification is not there with that tool.Any idea how to configure the email notification with mq. Thanks.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

"the" monitoring tool? - which one would that be?
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sathsiva wrote:
Any idea how to configure the email notification with mq.

Ask the monitoring tool vendor.

I find it implausible that someone has invented a monitoring tool which can (as an example) detect that a process has failed (like a queue manager) but didn't bother to equip the tool with a means of alerting anyone.......
venkataa
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't think we have any standard script or app to monitor and alert through mail if QM/listener is down.

What i am doing is checking the status of listener process runmqlsr and sending mail using sendmail cmd(configured by Unix team) if it is not running. I set cron job to run every 5 minutes for that script.

We can check status of QM by checking it
s listener process or ping qmgr. ping qmgr requires permissions also to check where as listener process runmqlsr won't require any .

Unix Script code
lsc=`ps -ef|grep runmqlsr|grep <QM_Name>|grep <Listener_Port>|grep -v grep |wc -l`
if [ $lsc -eq 0 ]
then
#Listener process count is 0
echo "Listener is not running with port "$lpo
echo "QM is Down is on "`hostname`|sendmail -s "QM DOWN" <receiver mail IDs>
else
#Listener process count is greater than 0
echo "Listener is running with port "$lpo

fi
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

A listener can be running and the queue manager can be 100% down.
A listener can be running and the queue manager can be up, but completely or partially unresponsive.
While it is worthwhile to monitor the listener, do not think you have an MQ monitor in place a this time.

Go to the Monitoring team at your company. They have one or more tools that monitor servers, databases, networks, etc. Ask them what capabilities they have in their existing tools to monitor MQ. Use that. If they say they have none, then ask them what the monitoring team's plan is to plug their monitoring gap?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

venkataa wrote:
What i am doing is checking the status of listener process runmqlsr and sending mail using sendmail cmd(configured by Unix team) if it is not running. I set cron job to run every 5 minutes for that script.

s listener process or ping qmgr. ping qmgr requires permissions also to check where as listener process runmqlsr won't require any .

Respectfully, you can't check the queue manager status by checking the listener process. You can check the listener by checking the listener process.

If you want to check the queue manager in this way, you need to check more processes that just runmqlsr. I would recommend:

- amqzmuc0
- amqzmxa0
- amqzmuf0

Others may have a differing & longer list, but if any of these are not running, your queue manager is either down or in serious trouble. Of course any of these processes (including runmqlsr) can be running and there could still be an issue.
venkataa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterPotkay wrote:
A listener can be running and the queue manager can be 100% down.
A listener can be running and the queue manager can be up, but completely or partially unresponsive.
While it is worthwhile to monitor the listener, do not think you have an MQ monitor in place a this time.

Go to the Monitoring team at your company. They have one or more tools that monitor servers, databases, networks, etc. Ask them what capabilities they have in their existing tools to monitor MQ. Use that. If they say they have none, then ask them what the monitoring team's plan is to plug their monitoring gap?

Unfortunately we don't have any monitoring team, We have to support 24/7 shit wise.
I believe there is no use of QM, if its listener not running. I never seen Listener still running when QM already down. That's why i am following this approach to monitor my QM.
venkataa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vitor wrote:
venkataa wrote:

Respectfully, you can't check the queue manager status by checking the listener process. You can check the listener by checking the listener process.

If you want to check the queue manager in this way, you need to check more processes that just runmqlsr. I would recommend:

- amqzmuc0
- amqzmxa0
- amqzmuf0

Others may have a differing & longer list, but if any of these are not running, your queue manager is either down or in serious trouble. Of course any of these processes (including runmqlsr) can be running and there could still be an issue.

Thanks. I will add the above processes also to monitor including runmqlsr.
zpat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

sathsiva wrote:
We are able to use the monitoring tool for the MQ.But the email notification is not there with that tool.Any idea how to configure the email notification with mq. Thanks.

Start by answering the question "what do you mean by THE monitoring tool"?

Also - don't ask questions and then disappear - it is RUDE.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

venkataa wrote:

I believe there is no use of QM, if its listener not running.

Not true. New inbound channels will not start, that is true. But outbound channels can still start without a Listener. Already running inbound channels can still run without a MQ Listener. And all processes that need to MQ that don't rely on MQ channels can still run without the MQ Listener.

venkataa wrote:
I never seen Listener still running when QM already down.

Sooner or later you will.

Its not bad to monitor the Listener. But don't think its a replacement for properly monitoring the queue manager.

Monitoring for the presence of a process may be better than nothing, but never forget that a process can exist yet be in a hung status.

Last edited by PeterPotkay on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
Existing inbound channels can still run without a MQ Listener. And all processes that need to MQ that don't rely on MQ channels can still run without the MQ Listener.

I would like to amend here
Quote:
Existing inbound channels
to
Quote:
Already running inbound channels
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

fjb_saper wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:
Existing inbound channels can still run without a MQ Listener. And all processes that need to MQ that don't rely on MQ channels can still run without the MQ Listener.

I would like to amend here
Quote:
Existing inbound channels
to
Quote:
Already running inbound channels

Thanks, I agree that is clearer. I corrected my original post.
Mo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Would be a bad idea to run a shell script to verify the dspmq command, and report of status is anything other than running

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » queuemanager alert via email
Jump to: