ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » CHLAUTH rule change giving 2035 with CHLAUTH WARN(yes) set ?

CHLAUTH rule change giving 2035 with CHLAUTH WARN(yes) set ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
smeunier
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: CHLAUTH rule change giving 2035 with CHLAUTH WARN(yes) set ? Reply with quote

Partisan

I recently implemented a change to tighten up some SVRCONN channel security. I set the MCAUSER channel property to MCAUSER('*NOACCESS') on my SVRCONN channels.

I then implemented a CHLAUTH rule like the following as a gloal block for each SVRCONN channel:

SET CHLAUTH('TEST.SVRCONN') TYPE(BLOCKUSER) USERLIST('*NOACCESS') DESCR('Block all access on this channel') WARN(YES) ACTION(ADD)

I then granted some access:
SET CHLAUTH('TEST.SVRCONN') TYPE(USERMAP) CLNTUSER('mquser') USERSRC(MAP) MCAUSER('mquser') ADDRESS('129.*') DESCR('All Access') ACTION(ADD)

What happened when a user that did no match the rule, I received a Channel Blocked Event Message and a MQ 2035 would be returned to the client. I would have fully expected that I should have gotten a "Channel Blocked Warning" message only.

This was a surprise and has cause some implementation issues. My question is, why a 2035, and not a "Channel Blocked Warning" message, which is what I need to see.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You did not specify your version
However I don't think that the following code does what you think it does:
Code:
SET CHLAUTH('TEST.SVRCONN') TYPE(BLOCKUSER) USERLIST('*NOACCESS') DESCR('Block all access on this channel') WARN(YES) ACTION(ADD)

Check it out with
Code:
dis chlauth(test.svrconn) type(all) match(runcheck) ...

Instead of blocking everything I'd expect it to allow privileged access
This is an example of blocking everybody on your channel
Code:
SET CHLAUTH(TEST.SVRCONN)  TYPE(ADDRESSMAP) ADDRESS('*') USERSRC(NOACCESS) WARN(YES) ACTION(ADD)

smeunier
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:
You did not specify your version
MQVersion 7.5.3

Quote:
However I don't think that the following code does what you think it does:

Perhaps my comment in the CHLAUTH command was mis-leading. The intent was to define SVRCONN channels with a MCAUSER(*NOACCESS) and to then block the use of that channel to that user with a CHLAUTH definition like I had stated, unless a rule is in place to override it. In practice, this works just fine, although just having a universal block on the channel as you suggested perhaps would be less work(i.e not having to set the SVRCONN channel's to *NOACCESS).

What became a problem, is when no CHLAUTH definition was in place with a overriding MCAUSER. This yielded a MQRC 2035 with a Event Message of "Channel Blocked", even though I had WARN(YES) enabled on the CHLAUTH definition to blockaccess. The 2035 caused failure at the client end, rather than alert me that I didn't have a rule that matched, which was the intended result (so much for slipping something in undetected!). The 2035 situation is what I'm trying to avoid in lieu of a warning.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Well if you define the SVRCONN with an MCAUSER that has no access, everybody will get a 2035, unless they are hitting a rule mapping their user to an authorized MCAUSER. This has nothing to do with chlauth but everything to do with setmqaut... 2 different animals and you can mix and match...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » CHLAUTH rule change giving 2035 with CHLAUTH WARN(yes) set ?
Jump to: