ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How do you know if dmpmqcfg produces a complete backup file?

How do you know if dmpmqcfg produces a complete backup file? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

[quote="gbaddeley"]
PeterPotkay wrote:
rammer wrote:
... Are there really only 560 objects that need to be recreated? Or are there 561 and for some reason the dmpmqcfg output was truncated. ...

If you are concerned about all objects being dumped, you would need to keep a history of past successful dumps and do a delta every time it runs.

What and how many are all objects?

I seem to recall a 3rd-party offering that produces an inventory of objects - a count by category.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

PeterPotkay wrote:
mqjeff wrote:
So you still have to know what you are expecting to get in order to tell if your output is complete. Much less if it's correct.

If I had something to compare to that was the authoritative source of what I should expect to see in the dmpmqcfg output, and I could do that validation in an automated scripted manner, I might ask myself, Why am I even bothering with dmpmqcfg? I'll just use my authoritative source to reconstruct the queue manager.

Well, if you don't even know how many objects you are supposed to have, what use is having even a count of objects - much less by type?

Are you adding objects to your queue managers by hand?

Lacking that authoritative source, can't you simply decide that the first dmpmqcfg is the accurate one, and go from there? Aside from an initial manual review to make sure you have only what you should?

And dmpmqcfg/saveqmgr has always been good for comparing the expected state of a qmgr with the actual state.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

Lacking that authoritative source, can't you simply decide that the first dmpmqcfg is the accurate one, and go from there?

Allow me to disagree.

When a qmgr is first created, there is a message that states how many objects were created. So, if the first dmpmqcfg immediately follows qmgr creation, there is an accurate backup - one should assume - the number (and type) of objects and their attribute values should be identical.

If a new app implements ten new objects, then the next dmpmqcfg should contain those initially created by IMQ, plus the ten new user-created objects.

I will agree that the number of objects as a single metric has only marginal value. The same could be said of the number of paychecks in a payroll app.

An audit-able system needs a variety of metrics. For IMQ-based apps, at a minimum, the sysadmin should be able to provide a simple count of objects by app and type. There should be a change-request or incident-report to justify any discrepancy.

I accept that the IBM-supplied utilities and samples are bare-bones, functional, and not pretty.

I seem to recall a 3rd-party tool ...

Last edited by bruce2359 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

On Unix, if you do something like the following in a script, you can probably report on most of the errors that dmpmqcfg encountered:

Code:

dmpmqcfg -m qmgr -a 1> qmgr.MQSC 2> qmgr.ERR
if [ $(cat qmgr.MQSC|wc -l) = 0 ] || [ $(cat qmgr.ERR|wc -l) != 0 ]; then
      # report error here
fi

For most error conditions that I have run across in dmpmqcfg, the tool did report it to standard error. For other error conditions that I have found where nothing was written to standard error, nothing was also written to standard out. This approach is definitely not perfect or what an administrator should be required to do to detect errors in the IBM supplied qmgr back up tool, but it should at least help with some error detection for something critical like queue manager back ups.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I agree on all of the complaints and concerns about the error behavior of dmpmqcfg.

I hope someone has opened a PMR. This sounds very much like a defect to me.
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

I have opened a PMR. Initially, I am hearing "working as designed", but hopefuly that changes.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

tczielke wrote:
I have opened a PMR. Initially, I am hearing "working as designed", but hopefuly that changes.

I'm really not sure how "bad error reporting" is a design feature.
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

That is the beauty of standing behind the deflector screen of "working as designed". Your design can be flawed, but as long as you built it according to specifications, it is "working as designed"!
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

tczielke wrote:

Not surprised in the least that this was the response. Where does it say in the documentation that error handling is a feature of dmpmqcfg?

It was the same response I got when I opened a PMR a couple of years ago when dmpmqcfg came out and we found it didn't capture 100% of the configuration the way MS03 did. "Working as designed". There is a long thread here on on the MQ list serve on that topic. I ended up opening the RFE and the problem got fixed eventually, whether by the PMR or RFE.

The one-two punch of the PMR(Tim) and the RFE(me) will hopefully get this fixed one way or the other.
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

MS03 (saveqmgr) does appear to have the logic to set the return code to non-zero when it encounters errors. Also, I would assume dmpmqcfg was based on MS03. dmpmqcfg at least looks a lot like saveqmgr. Not sure if/how that error reporting functionality was lost in dmpmqcfg, but I do hope it gets added back in soon.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
Where does it say in the documentation that error handling is a feature of dmpmqcfg? .

Huh? Error handling is a feature?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:
Where does it say in the documentation that error handling is a feature of dmpmqcfg? .

Ha!

Welcome to the modern age of programming....sigh.

I remember review meetings being held in the '90s to review one new IF statement in a COBOL program. Being approved to move to QA was a major, major milestone.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

Ha!

Welcome to the modern age of programming....sigh.

I remember review meetings being held in the '90s to review one new IF statement in a COBOL program. Being approved to move to QA was a major, major milestone.

It's all Agile these days. Which seems to be code for "doing it faster is better than doing it right".

Which in fairness has more to do with how certain management types chose to interpret and implement Agile than the methodology itself.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Vitor wrote:

It's all Agile these days. Which seems to be code for "doing it faster is better than doing it right".

Too true. Some of us call it Fragile. Some Scrum Masters have a real aversion to spikes. As a result a fix that should take 1-2 hours to code and test (cont integration right!) takes at least a two sprints to even get it scheduled.
Agile? Hardly.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

tczielke wrote:
Also, I would assume dmpmqcfg was based on MS03.

No. Pretty sure not.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How do you know if dmpmqcfg produces a complete backup file?
Jump to: