ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Google hangout

Google hangout « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Google hangout Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hey guys,
Just a thought. For all those who cant and don't want to spend the extra dollars to actually go to conferences, how do you like the idea of having maybe a monthly google hangout session where we can invite speakers and have group discussions on variety of topics on Integration space.

what think you all?

let me know

thanks.

md
smdavies99
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Google hangout Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

paustin_ours wrote:
Hey guys,
Just a thought. For all those who cant and don't want to spend the extra dollars to actually go to conferences, how do you like the idea of having maybe a monthly google hangout session where we can invite speakers and have group discussions on variety of topics on Integration space.

what think you all?

let me know

thanks.

md

Google Hangout has (AFAIK) a limit of 10 for the free version. The paid version costs a literal arm and a leg as is the norm for this type of software.

Does not matter one iota to me because I won't sign up to a Google account and give them rights to slurp my personal data.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Aside from your aversion to google hangout and thanks i did not know that was the case, i was hoping to find out what people thought of having some kinda acceptable secure way to get together online and talk about what is trending in the Integration space.

To interact with thought leaders (if possible). Free of cost.
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

webex sounds like a good option. again the tool used is not of importance at the moment. Something online.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I have little spare time to go to conferences either.

For me, the big benefit of mqseries.net and the U of Vienna post sites is that they persist. I don't need to attend. I can search/read/ignore - and on my schedule.

What little unscheduled time I have, I head to the gym - where I listen to podcasts.

Most of the time, conference materials are posted later as .pdfs.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

All,

Not to redirect the conversion but here is something I "almost" implemented this year at MQ Technical Conference (MQTC). I got pricing from a couple of video companies and was going to record every session and post it to an education web site (i.e. UDEMY or teachable).

I was thinking of MQTC style Netflix and charge $199.00 (or $99 if there was a lot of interest) to view any and all sessions.

The upfront cost is rough $12,000 for just the raw video plus extra for post production.

I talked to a few people and didn't get much of a response and since I would need at least 120 people (@ $99 each) to purchase the online MQTC video, I chickened out because I couldn't afford it if nobody signed up. And yes I know, I took on an even bigger gamble (money wise) when I started MQTC.

I get a lot of requests for MQTC to be held in Europe, so I was thinking it was a reasonable solution.

Video streaming isn't the same thing as doing a monthly online group sessions but I would be interested in people's feedback.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I know I wouldn't have a lot of time to spend on something like this.

I suspect it would really just end up being a collection of people who were struggling with MQ, trying to help each other.

That's not necessarily bad, but it might not be helpful in the short term.
tczielke
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

RogerLacroix wrote:
All,

Not to redirect the conversion but here is something I "almost" implemented this year at MQ Technical Conference (MQTC). I got pricing from a couple of video companies and was going to record every session and post it to an education web site (i.e. UDEMY or teachable).

I was thinking of MQTC style Netflix and charge $199.00 (or $99 if there was a lot of interest) to view any and all sessions.

The upfront cost is rough $12,000 for just the raw video plus extra for post production.

I talked to a few people and didn't get much of a response and since I would need at least 120 people (@ $99 each) to purchase the online MQTC video, I chickened out because I couldn't afford it if nobody signed up. And yes I know, I took on an even bigger gamble (money wise) when I started MQTC.

I get a lot of requests for MQTC to be held in Europe, so I was thinking it was a reasonable solution.

Video streaming isn't the same thing as doing a monthly online group sessions but I would be interested in people's feedback.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

I would think it would get tricky and expensive with the logistics to get a well recorded session. Also, not sure what the implications would be for some of the presenters to get permission to do something that is recorded. Maybe that is not a big deal.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Google hangout
Jump to: