ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Configuration Events - What's out there to process them?

Configuration Events - What's out there to process them? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Configuration Events - What's out there to process them? Reply with quote

Poobah

I am looking for a Support Pack or Vendor product or Open Source bunch of code that will MQGET all messages off all SYSTEM.ADMIN.CONFIG.EVENT queues and do something useful with them:

Something as simple as put them into a big log file, so I have a stream of changes in one file.
Or put them into a DB and stick a pretty GUI front end on that DB to assist with on demand reporting.
Some sort of alerting when config events that meet my criteria are seen.

What's out there?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg24029241&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg24000676&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

Probably several of the MQ monitoring tools support this - check the usual suspects (Omegamon, NetCOOL, contact admin, etc etc)
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Thanks Jeff, MH05 looks promising.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You may also want to look at MS0P. It is packaged as an Eclipse Plugin and likes the event queues to end with the word .EVENT...
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

fjb_saper wrote:
You may also want to look at MS0P. It is packaged as an Eclipse Plugin and likes the event queues to end with the word .EVENT...

Yeah, I got MS0P and it works well for manual inspecting the messages. I'm looking to automate the process.

Conceptually I want to stream all config events from all QMs in my environment to a single "app" that consumes and records them for future analysis. Changing the SYSTEM.ADMIN.CONFIG.EVENT queues to Alias queues that point at Topics is a interesting idea in the MH05 Support Pack. I can make an administrative subscription pointing at the input queues at a central location that MH05 or something else reads from and permenently records into a database. Because SYSTEM.ADMIN.CONFIG.EVENT is at that point Pub/Sub, if another app or monitoring tool also needs these events, no problemo.

Maybe a little WMB flow deployed to a couple of Brokers can consume these Config Events and insert them into the DB.

Yeah, I know, this problem is relatively trivial for a real developer who could whip up an app to consume the messages, insert into the DB, and build a front end for the DB. I am not a real developer, nor do I have the time to bumble my way thru this. That's why I threw the question out there.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

PeterPotkay wrote:

Maybe a little WMB flow deployed to a couple of Brokers can consume these Config Events and insert them into the DB.

Don't forget the remote MQ connection feature of V10. Might only need it on one broker.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I thought MSOP was more interesting as MH05 because it does not just dump the pcf but kind of interprets it for you...
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

smdavies99 wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

Don't forget the remote MQ connection feature of V10. Might only need it on one broker.

Well, multiple Brokers still for H.A. reasons, but yes, that is another option - that way all the config events can reside on the QM that created them, and be consumed by the IIB 10 client connections that race for them and insert them into a central DB.
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

PeterPotkay wrote:
Conceptually I want to stream all config events from all QMs in my environment to a single "app" that consumes and records them for future analysis.

From an auditing stand point of who made the configuration changes, just curious on if/how people handle the issue of the administrator doing the changes under the mqm id (i.e. Unix/Linux). If you make the configuration change after doing saying a su to the mqm id, it looks like mqm shows up in the configuation event information on who did the change, and then you lose the accountability on who actually made the change.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tczielke wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:
Conceptually I want to stream all config events from all QMs in my environment to a single "app" that consumes and records them for future analysis.

From an auditing stand point of who made the configuration changes, just curious on if/how people handle the issue of the administrator doing the changes under the mqm id (i.e. Unix/Linux). If you make the configuration change after doing saying a su to the mqm id, it looks like mqm shows up in the configuation event information on who did the change, and then you lose the accountability on who actually made the change.

Thankfully Unix/Linux keeps track of who was sudo'd in as whom. (if configured to do so).
With the event message having a timestamp you should be able to figure out who did the change...
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

That would help narrow it down, but there is always the possibility that several people could be on the server at the same time and did a sudo to mqm.

We have a script here where we track what user id is running under mqm by doing the following:

who -m 2>/dev/null|awk '{print $1}'

It might be helpful if the configuration events (for Unix based systems) would check if stdin is owned by another user id, and then record that somewhere in the configuration event.
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

I created an RFE for this suggestion of also recording the user id that did the su to mqm, for configuration events that are generated by the mqm id on Unix systems.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=77154
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

What about when the change is made as mqm but over a client channel. Would be good for the Config Events to capture the source IP address. And if CHLAUTH was used to map to mqm from a client ID, what that client ID was.

More diagnostic / forensic info is always good.
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

I agree that it would be helpful to have that in there, as well. I see you updated the RFE with those comments, too. Thanks!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Configuration Events - What's out there to process them?
Jump to: