ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB9: Pub/Sub

IIB9: Pub/Sub « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

akil wrote:
Does this sound alright?

How can we know? Also, it's for you to say.

I do repeat my misgivings about how much you're getting out of the pub/sub model here. You could just as easily:

1. create a mapping between the published message and the customer service
2. create a message flow that is MQInput -> (Compute of step 1 above) -> HTTPRequest
3. create a local queue for the customer
4. add a database entry for this new customer that includes the name of the local queue, and is used by the MQOutput node that replaces the Publication node in your current design.

I mean logically there's no real code difference between setting the topic of a Publication and setting the target queue in an MQOutput node. If you include the "customerxxx" in a standard queue name, you can probably get away without storing it in a database but just calculating it like a topic name.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The only time you should be thinking about pub/sub is when you know - or at least strongly anticipate - needing more than one copy of each message.

It doesn't sound like you do.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

mqjeff wrote:
The only time you should be thinking about pub/sub is when you know - or at least strongly anticipate - needing more than one copy of each message.

Or when you are using something like MQLite which operates on a Pub/Sub model.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

smdavies99 wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

Or when you are using something like MQLite which operates on a Pub/Sub model.

"Light". "Lite" is for water that pretends to be beer.

But, yes. If the actual transport you're using only supports pub/sub... then you obviously use pub/sub.

But plain MQ doesn't, and this is an IIB question that mentions MQInput nodes (which can't use MQLight... )

Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

Nice general rule
akil
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I thought this was a case for pub/sub because the message that is published goes to all subscribers ( hence multiple copies ) .
Subscribers only pick-up the messages that are of interest to them.

One way (I thought) was to use topics. I realise my mistake in this approach : if the topics are different for each subscriber, then there's really only 1 subscriber per topic, so this is essentially point-to-point, and not pub/sub.

The other way (I thought) could be to use a single topic , and use a content filter (Filter Node) inside the flow. Then there would be 1 topic for all subscribers and the flow would then looks like
MQInput --> Filter (match by customer) --> Compute --> HTTPRequest.

Since in MQInput I can't specify a topic, and i've to configure this in MQ as mentioned here http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q026600_.htm, does it not mean that only 1 subscriber will get the message ( as the first one will remove it from the MQ ) ?
[/list][/list]
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

akil wrote:
The other way (I thought) could be to use a single topic , and use a content filter (Filter Node) inside the flow. Then there would be 1 topic for all subscribers and the flow would then looks like

If you've got 100+ customers, and the Filter node only results in true or false, how do you plan do make that work????

I would use a different mechanism than a Filter myself?

akil wrote:
Since in MQInput I can't specify a topic, and i've to configure this in MQ as mentioned here http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q026600_.htm, does it not mean that only 1 subscriber will get the message ( as the first one will remove it from the MQ ) ?

Given that you said:
akil wrote:
there's really only 1 subscriber per topic, so this is essentially point-to-point

then how is this a problem?

Just because you got a single input, there's no reason that has to result in a single output. If, confusingly, there's now more than one subscriber for each inbound message then make a call for each customer than matches.
akil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Vitor wrote:
akil wrote:

If you've got 100+ customers, and the Filter node only results in true or false, how do you plan do make that work????

MQInput --> Filter (match by customer) --> Compute --> HTTPRequest. is the subscribers flow, so each subscriber does something meaningful only when they get a message that interests them.

The publishers flow would simply be .... Compute -> Publication

I would use a different mechanism than a Filter myself?

akil wrote:

Vitor wrote:

Given that you said:
akil wrote:
there's really only 1 subscriber per topic, so this is essentially point-to-point

then how is this a problem?

It is not a problem, i am trying to find out if I can avoid creating multiple local queues (one per customer)..
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

akil wrote:
It is not a problem, i am trying to find out if I can avoid creating multiple local queues (one per customer)..

The alternative is to build a flow that consumes the message, works out the customer it's for and then invokes the (apparently unique) Compute node to format the message, then sends it.

Pick your poison.

You certainly can't filter what the MQInput picks up.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The design question you're fundamentally dealing with is "How do I translate a message into the right format for a specific customer, and send it to the right location".

There is nothing about this problem that requires pub/sub.

There is nothing about this problem that requires one flow for each customer.

The most straight forward design is indeed something like
  1. Receive internal message
  2. Determine customer destination
  3. Send to a specific flow for that customer
  4. Specific flow translates and sends message

But you don't need one flow for each customer.

You can use one flow that knows about all customers. This is a maintenance headache, because you have to test every customer in that flow each time any customer changes.

You can use one flow for each customer. This is a maintenance headache, because every time you add a new customer, you have to create a new queue and create a new flow and deploy and maintain it. You then have 100s of flows running, with hundreds of open queues with hundreds of threads with hundreds of chunks of memory...

Remember that your original flow has all of the information it needs to find out what customer the message belongs to. The second flow has all the information it needs to find out where to send the message for taht customer.

You can consider a balance between the two extremes of maintenance problems above. One flow can handle 5 customers or 10 customers. Each flow uses the same information that the main flow uses to find out what customer to use.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

akil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I've to learn to articulate it the way you did @mqjeff.. This are indeed the 2 extremes I am trying to balance out..

Testing the services repeatedly is a nightmare in this site, and that's the reason I was looking for suggestions towards 1 flow per customer.. I was trying to figure out an option that has the least resource consumption and lowest maintenance.

I looked at pub/sub as it seemed to provide one queue for all subscribers ( meeting the low maintenance requirement ).

Basis your suggestions, I'll think how to have 1 flow with low maintenance ( little testing for existing customers, when new customers are added ). I suppose XSLTransforms is an option - writing one XSL per customer, would not require me to test all customers as new XSL's are added..
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

akil wrote:
I've to learn to articulate it the way you did @mqjeff..

He is good, isn't he?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

akil wrote:
I suppose XSLTransforms is an option - writing one XSL per customer, would not require me to test all customers as new XSL's are added..

The transformation interface you use shouldn't affect your business requirements for testing - particularly for regression testing. So from the point of regression testing, ESQL should be the same as Java as .NET as PHP as XSLT.

Many shops would say that any change to a deployed application requires at least moderate regression testing of "unchanged" functions.

You should also take performance and statistics measurements of whatever combination of flows and queues and transformation interface you choose.
akil
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Vitor wrote:
akil wrote:
I've to learn to articulate it the way you did @mqjeff..

He is good, isn't he?

Oh he sure is !.

@mqjeff , I was thinking of using 'external' XSL's , that way introduction of a new XSL would not mandate a regression. http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ac12490_.htm?lang=en[/list]

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB9: Pub/Sub
Jump to: