ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Cluster Cleanup Procedure

Cluster Cleanup Procedure « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
skrv
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Cluster Cleanup Procedure Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,

We have MQ at 7.5.0.3 and all are z-linux servers.

We have a cluster by name "DEM" and it has 2 full repositories and 2 partial repositories.

It is no longer needed and we need to retire this cluster. Can some one help us with the clear step by step instructions for decommissioning cluster communication and delete everything related to this cluster?

thanks in advance
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

So you don't want any of the queue managers left?

If so then something like (instead of the big bang, stop everything, delete everything)

remove the PR's from the cluster
stop the PR Queue Managers
delete the PR Queue managers
stop the Other QMGRS
delete the remaining QMGRS

So how would you think it should be done?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
skrv
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

we are not going to delete the queue managers.

while stopping and deleting the channels, we need to know the specific order like which channel to be altered/stopped/deleted..... first...
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

1. Remove all PR qmgrs from the cluster, see Removing a queue manager from a cluster http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q017520_.htm
2. Remove the FR qmgrs from the cluster, see Removing a cluster network http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q017500_.htm (you don't need to resinstate distributed queueing)
The PRs and FRs can continue to participate in other MQ clusters if they exist.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

gbaddeley wrote:
1. Remove all PR qmgrs from the cluster, see Removing a queue manager from a cluster http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q017520_.htm
2. Remove the FR qmgrs from the cluster, see Removing a cluster network http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q017500_.htm (you don't need to resinstate distributed queueing)
The PRs and FRs can continue to participate in other MQ clusters if they exist.

0. Remove all queues on the PRs from the cluster.

Just to put on the suspenders.
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

If you want to completely remove a cluster like CLUS1, you might also have to do a RESET CLUSTER(CLUS1) on the partial repository queue managers after CLUS1 has been removed from them. That was at least my experience.

I followed the manual instructions for removing a cluster and I did see CLUS1 completely check out of the queue manager partial repositories that were holding CLUS1, so I thought I was all set. However, 1-2 days later the partials would start to try and connect back to the full repositories for CLUS1, and I had to do RESET CLUSTER(CLUS1) (or maybe it was a REFRESH CLUSTER) on the partial repositories to get them to stop doing that.

It felt like the song "but the cat came back the very next day . . . "
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

tczielke wrote:
If you want to completely remove a cluster like CLUS1, you might also have to do a RESET CLUSTER(CLUS1) on the partial repository queue managers after CLUS1 has been removed from them. That was at least my experience.

I followed the manual instructions for removing a cluster and I did see CLUS1 completely check out of the queue manager partial repositories that were holding CLUS1, so I thought I was all set. However, 1-2 days later the partials would start to try and connect back to the full repositories for CLUS1, and I had to do RESET CLUSTER(CLUS1) (or maybe it was a REFRESH CLUSTER) on the partial repositories to get them to stop doing that.

It felt like the song "but the cat came back the very next day . . . "

Did you remove the FR's too ?

Did you remove the cluster sdr/receivers on the PRS ?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

And with V7 & V8 did you remove any other clustered objects like topics? (often forgotten in the list of objects to uncluster....) The clustered channels get removed last from the QMGR...
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

It has been a few months since I did it, so it is hard for me to remember for sure exactly what I did.

There were no clustered queues or topics on partial repository QM1 when I started. I remember following all the instructions in this doc to remove say partial repository QM1 from CLUS1 -> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q017520_.htm

When I was done the partial repository on QM1 showed that it was no longer in CLUS1, and the full repositories for QM1 had also dropped QM1 from CLUS1. However, 1-2 days later, QM1 started up a CLUSSDR channel again to the full repositories for CLUS1. I think I had to do a REFRESH CLUSTER(CLUS1) on QM1 to correct this. But it has been a while.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tczielke wrote:

When I was done the partial repository on QM1 showed that it was no longer in CLUS1, and the full repositories for QM1 had also dropped QM1 from CLUS1. However, 1-2 days later, QM1 started up a CLUSSDR channel again to the full repositories for CLUS1. I think I had to do a REFRESH CLUSTER(CLUS1) on QM1 to correct this. But it has been a while.

Was that an autodefined one, or a manually defined one? If it was an autodefined one did you open a PMR (because it should not have happened) ...
tczielke
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

It was a manually defined CLUSSDR channel to the full repository, but it also had its CLUSTER set to spaces, per that doc. The doc only said to delete the CLUSRCVR channel, so I left the CLUSSDR channel defined. I did not open a PMR. Doing the REFRESH CLUSTER on the PR qmgr corrected the problem of the CLUSSDR channel starting back up for the FR.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tczielke wrote:
It was a manually defined CLUSSDR channel to the full repository, but it also had its CLUSTER set to spaces, per that doc. The doc only said to delete the CLUSRCVR channel, so I left the CLUSSDR channel defined. I did not open a PMR. Doing the REFRESH CLUSTER on the PR qmgr corrected the problem of the CLUSSDR channel starting back up for the FR.

I thought the last step after setting the channel to a blank cluster was to stop the channel, start the channel stop the channel and delete the channel...

I guess we must have skipped the delete the channel part...
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

When stopping the cluster channel, choose the "inactive" state and stop the sender (the receiver will automatically stop).
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

JosephGramig wrote:
When stopping the cluster channel, choose the "inactive" state and stop the sender (the receiver will automatically stop).

This needs a lot more precision... and seems intuitively false...
  1. Sure I remove all clustered objects
  2. Make the qmgr a partial if full repository
  3. change the cluster receiver to cluster(' ') clusnl('')
  4. bounce the cluster receiver channel (twice) => sure this will stop all the corresponding cluster senders)
  5. stop the cluster receiver (twice)

6. change the cluster sender to cluster('') clusnl('')
  7. bounce the cluster sender (twice)
  8. stop the cluster sender (twice if you want to avoid mode (terminate))
  9. delete the cluster receiver
  10. delete the cluster sender.

Hope this helps :innocent"

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Cluster Cleanup Procedure
Jump to: