ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Displaying data properly in the output xml

Displaying data properly in the output xml « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
joemq
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Displaying data properly in the output xml Reply with quote

Novice

I have a requirement where to fetch the table one column data consists of combination of ESQL non-reserved keywords (AS, FOR, FORMAT, DATE, DECIMAL, CHAR) and string manipulation functions (TRIM,SUBSTING...) and CAST function(Ex: C).I have to take that column value which is a combination of all separated by semi colon(EX: AS; FOR; CAST; CHAR; SUBSTRING; FROM). Use this one column values for the creation of output data. For example data is comming from the mapping like this (Inputroot.xmlnsc.DATA.Value1) and column value will be used for data manipulation.

EXample:
CAST(Inputroot.xmlnsc.DATA.Value1 AS CHAR); --- In this CAST;AS;CHAR all coming from database table column.

Please give us some idea to do it.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Displaying data properly in the output xml Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

joemq wrote:
Please give us some idea to do it.

Never mind how - why?

Is this some kind of crazed attempt to store transformation logic in a database? What use case does this fit?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Are you really prepared to incur the costs of using Exec, or the pain of using lots of {}?
joemq
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Are you really prepared to incur the costs of using Exec, or the pain of using lots of {}?

Yes we have requirement to do it. My scenario like i am grabbing a value from database and applying this Special column values (CAST; CHAR, AS) for data manuplilation. Can you please give some idea to do it

ex:-
CAST(tabRef.{dbRef.VAL2} AS CHAR);

-- In above mentioned value tabRef.{dbRef.VAL2}is getting from table reference and for this i have to do apply CAST ,CHAR and AS which also i am getting from another database table column . Finally value is going to xml.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

CAST won't execute the value.

The value in the Database should already be a character.

Or is the value in the database *exactly* like "InputRoot.XMLNSC.Message.Body.Field" ?

You either need to use Exec as a function, or you need to use {} around *every* level of the tree in that expression.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I thought that was Evaluate and not Exec ??
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

fjb_saper wrote:
I thought that was Evaluate and not Exec ??

joemq
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Jeff,

No. The value in the database will be CHAR or DECIMAL or DATE (this value tabRef.{dbRef.VAL2}). I have to apply CAST for this one which i am taking it from another Database table column[column values (CAST;CHAR,AS) or (CAST,DECIMAL,AS) etc].

How can we use Exec as fuction and how to do above scenario?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The value of a single column in a database table should have a single type. That is, it should be a Character, and NOT a Date and Not Decimal. Or otherwise one of the three, and not all of the three.

Again, the function is evaluate and not exec... and you shouldn't use it or need it for your scenario.

Go talk to your DBA. Or your senior developer.
joemq
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Column data type is CHARACTER and value present will be like this CAST;CHAR;AS (OR)CAST;DECIMAL;AS (OR) CAST;DATE;AS;FORMAT . I have to take this value and use this for data manipulation.
joemq
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

mqjeff wrote:
The value of a single column in a database table should have a single type. That is, it should be a Character, and NOT a Date and Not Decimal. Or otherwise one of the three, and not all of the three.

Again, the function is evaluate and not exec... and you shouldn't use it or need it for your scenario.

Go talk to your DBA. Or your senior developer.

Column data type is CHARACTER and value present will be like this CAST;CHAR;AS (OR)CAST;DECIMAL;AS (OR) CAST;DATE;AS;FORMAT . I have to take this value and use this for data manipulation. Is there anyway we can do this?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

joemq wrote:
Column data type is CHARACTER and value present will be like this CAST;CHAR;AS (OR)CAST;DECIMAL;AS (OR) CAST;DATE;AS;FORMAT . I have to take this value and use this for data manipulation. Is there anyway we can do this?

That's a terrible column format. Apply a trout to the table designer.

But you can just split that on ";" and test the middle value and use an IF statement to call the relevant CAST statement.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Displaying data properly in the output xml
Jump to: