ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » FileInput node not pulling files from shared folder.

FileInput node not pulling files from shared folder. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ravipydi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: FileInput node not pulling files from shared folder. Reply with quote

Novice

I am having issue pulling files from a shared directory using FileINputNode.
I have written a test interface (FileInputNode --> Compute --> FileOutputNode). I am accessing a shared folder in the network (Ex: \\testfs05\Inbound\TestFolderIn\. When I deploy the flow and put a test message in the input folder, the file is not getting picked up. I do see that the node created mqsitransitinm mqsibackout and mqsiarchive fodlers when I deployed the flow which indicates it was able to access the folder. When I drop a file, I see a 0 byte file with the same in the mqsistransitin/locks folder. But the actual file is not getting picked up after that. Message Broker is running on a Windows Server. I have tried this in MB7 and IIB9. Same issue on both the versions. Any help is appreciated.
nelson
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Do you see any errors? If you see the 0 bytes file in the mqsitransit/locks directory in fact the file was detected and locked preventing other flows to pick that file.
ravipydi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Nelson, Thanks for the reply. No, I did not see any errors in the event log. I tried with debug mode enabled. It never got initiated either.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: FileInput node not pulling files from shared folder. Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ravipydi wrote:
When I drop a file, I see a 0 byte file with the same in the mqsistransitin/locks folder. But the actual file is not getting picked up after that.

Is whatever's creating the file and/or whatever is supporting the shared folder (I assume the Windows OS but whatever) properly releasing the file lock? I don't mean the 0 byte file (which is a broker device to stop the file being picked up twice) but the file system lock. It sounds to be that broker can see the file in the directory but can't get exclusive access to move it. Because:

ravipydi wrote:
Message Broker is running on a Windows Server.

And you must have seen the "File in use" message trying to work on a Windows file at some point and

ravipydi wrote:
I have tried this in MB7 and IIB9. Same issue on both the versions.

Both versions with a FileInput problem? More like it's the shared storage with the problem.
ravipydi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Vitor, thanks for the response. Since I am testing, I am manually dropping a small text file onto the input directory. I have even tried stopping the flow before dropping the file.

I am able to even delete the file from the input folder when the flow is running and it is not throwing any errors.

It looks like this has to be some permission issue on the shared storage system. I was told that there are no restrictions for any users on shared file system. I will research more on this. I will let you know if I find anything.

Thanks for the help.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

For experimental purposes, point the flow at a non-shared location (using mqsiapplybaroverride or similar) and see if the flow picks the file up. If it does, this points the finger firmly at the shared storage. If not, you know to look elsewhere.....
MB Developer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi ravipydi,

find the error by using User trace , file trace etc.

Better to go for User trace and post that user trace details...
ganesh
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Quote:
When I deploy the flow and put a test message in the input folder, the file is not getting picked up.

Check to see if your file name matches the value in your file input node.
nelson
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

MB Developer wrote:
Hi ravipydi,

find the error by using User trace , file trace etc.

Better to go for User trace and post that user trace details...

ravipydi wrote:

I did not see any errors in the event log. I tried with debug mode enabled. It never got initiated either.

ganesh wrote:

Check to see if your file name matches the value in your file input node.

ravipydi said he is able to see the "locking file" in mqsistransitin/locks, so the broker is actually watching the file.
ravipydi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

That is correct. I just set it to * when I noticed it was not worked to see if it can pick any file at all.
Halloween
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I saw this many times from people doing this...
But as I see from his statement he can delete the file from Input directory.

What could have happened is you saved file as .txt file but as you have hidden file extensions you might not know the File extension which you have not put in the File name

Try giving the filename.txt or what ever extension you gave.

Also try to do with wild char like * so that any file can be picked up..

that way you can resolve issue if it is till not picked up after specifying file name as * then we need to see what the issue is
ravipydi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I finally got it to work. It's the permission issue. I have suspected that, so did many of you. But I did not have a way to tell if that is correct because there were no errors in the Event log. So, instead of reading from the shared folder, I tried writing to it. Now, I can see the error in the event log.

My problem is that Message Broker is running under Local System in Windows Services. I do not have a way to provide access to the Local System to a shared folder. So, I changed Message Broker to run under a System Account which I know has access to the shared folder. I have tested this in IIB9 and it worked. Thank you all for your help.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

ravipydi wrote:

My problem is that Message Broker is running under Local System in Windows Services. I do not have a way to provide access to the Local System to a shared folder. So, I changed Message Broker to run under a System Account which I know has access to the shared folder. I have tested this in IIB9 and it worked. Thank you all for your help.

You have found a big hole and dug yourself out of it. Well done.

If you were running in say a Windows MSCS Cluster you have to run the broker under a properly configured account (especially if the DC is Server 2012 and the IIB nodes are Server 2008).
My best practice tip is to run NOTHING that wants to use MQ (and by inference Broker) under the default System Account. MQ V8 makes it difficult to use it securely so why not set from the beginning and use a named account and go from there. Even on my Windows Development Laptop Broker/IIB has its own account.

IMHO the Default System Account is a windows bodge as far as I'm concerned and like all version of IE should be taken outside and dealt with humanely.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

For those of you like me who are not 150% fluent in English, here is a link to the definition of bodge:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bodge
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

fjb_saper wrote:
For those of you like me who are not 150% fluent in English

This includes many of our American associates, and many British born more recently to which the phrase "bodge" belongs to an earlier, older generation.

Mine.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » FileInput node not pulling files from shared folder.
Jump to: