ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » How to increase MQ error log file after creating qmanager

How to increase MQ error log file after creating qmanager « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
amitjain
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: How to increase MQ error log file after creating qmanager Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

I want to have 10 logs file in error (AMQERR01,02,....10) , I am using MQ version 8

As per knowledge center , for crtmqm command , it says we can change number of logs files after creating the queue manager.

But it does not mention how to do that. Do I have to change qm.ini file below values , I tried changing values but it is not relfecting when I am starting the queue manager. Please suggest what I am doing wrong.

original values in qm.ini
LogPrimaryFiles=3
LogSecondaryFiles=2

changed to

LogPrimaryFiles=13
LogSecondaryFiles=12

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.ref.adm.doc/q083120_.htm

thanks.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: How to increase MQ error log file after creating qmanage Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

amitjain wrote:
I want to have 10 logs file in error (AMQERR01,02,....10) , I am using MQ version 8

As per knowledge center , for crtmqm command , it says we can change number of logs files after creating the queue manager.

When is a log not a log? When it's a log.

The logs that you set on the crtmqm command (and indeed by hacking around the qm.ini file) are transaction logs, i.e. the space used for messages under a unit of work (and other things). What you're talking about are error logs and you get 3 of those. No options.

amitjain wrote:
Please suggest what I am doing wrong.

Aside from some quite understandable confusion over terms, the key thing you're doing wrong is thinking you want 10 error log files. Why would you want this? If the reason is "I get so many error messages the 3 logs keep filling and rolling over", you don't want more log you want fewer errors, and should start fixing whatever's generating them!
amitjain
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks. Now I understand what I misunderstood by linear logging and circualar logging.

Is there no way to increase AMQERR log files. One requirement in my project says they want to keep AMQERR log files for audit purpose to check AMQ8077 : Entity 'XXXX ' has insufficient authority to access object.

Should I periodically take copies of AMQERR files and keep it seperately for audit purpose ?
Gaya3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

if it is linear log you can get the support pac from IBM for cleaning up the logs

if it is circular you dont need have to do
Do Something Before you Die
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

amitjain wrote:
Thanks. Now I understand what I misunderstood by linear logging and circualar logging.

Is there no way to increase AMQERR log files. One requirement in my project says they want to keep AMQERR log files for audit purpose to check AMQ8077 : Entity 'XXXX ' has insufficient authority to access object.

Should I periodically take copies of AMQERR files and keep it seperately for audit purpose ?

Well, yes, if that's the requirement.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Gaya3 wrote:
if it is linear log you can get the support pac from IBM for cleaning up the logs

if it is circular you dont need have to do

If it's for audit purposes of trapping "...AMQ8077 : Entity 'XXXX ' has insufficient authority to access object..." then those will not be the logs you're looking for...
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

amitjain wrote:

hope this will help http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q019020_.htm?lang=en
And yes you need to make copies every so often... i.e. when the files rotate.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

To be honest, I never need to do this, but why not trying just increasing the number of secondary log files?

Secondary log files are only created when needed, so you won't suddenly see an increase in the number of files.

Best thing is to set the log file page size much bigger when creating the queue manager.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
To be honest, I never need to do this, but why not trying just increasing the number of secondary log files?

Secondary log files are only created when needed, so you won't suddenly see an increase in the number of files.

Best thing is to set the log file page size much bigger when creating the queue manager.

If it's for audit purposes of trapping "...AMQ8077 : Entity 'XXXX ' has insufficient authority to access object..." then those will not be the logs you're looking for...
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:

You're missing the point. This has nothing to do with primary or secondary log files. The OP is talking about the ERROR files AMQERRXXX.LOG...
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

amitjain wrote:
Is there no way to increase AMQERR log files.

No.

amitjain wrote:
One requirement in my project says they want to keep AMQERR log files for audit purpose to check AMQ8077 : Entity 'XXXX ' has insufficient authority to access object.

This is a classic example of the Project quoting a technical solution rather than a business requirement. The requirement is not to keep endless numbers of logs but to audit unauthorised access attemtps. So:

a) you'll have problems using the error logs like this, and can't increase the number, so you'll need to detect when they're about to roll over so you can preserve them
b) you should meet this requirement with the supplied authority events that are intended by the product to be used for this purpose.

A little more development to use them (unless your site has a 3rd party audit tool already that can handle this) but much better and more feature rich. You can (as a single example) not only log events as you could with the error files, you can build alert systems to notify you that an attempt has been made.

But you'd need a little developement to copy the error logs before they rolled over. And to weed out the messages you're interested in.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Vitor wrote:

b) you should meet this requirement with the supplied authority events that are intended by the product to be used for this purpose.

zpat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

OK, you can make the three error logs bigger in size though.
amitjain
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi Vitor,

Thanks for suggesting best practices for capturing authority events.

I am planning to do following things.

1) Enable authority events for queue manager

/app/mqm/bin/runmqsc TEST_QM

display QMGR ALL

ALTER QMGR AUTHOREV(ENABLED)

end

2)Enable application to consume messages SYSTEM.ADMIN.QMGR.EVENT
and raise alerts.
amitjain
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I am able to see the event queue in MQExplorer and when I browse the message , in data it shows $ symbol only. In forum I read we need to read it using some support pac MH05.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » How to increase MQ error log file after creating qmanager
Jump to: