ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » HTTP Content Expiration

HTTP Content Expiration « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: HTTP Content Expiration Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

I'm currently trying to understand the following (from a spec)
Quote:

When setting up the HTTP Response for XXX make sure that the HTTP Header includes an expiration time. Otherwise the HTTP message that is sent back to machine that is hosting YYY/Server will live until the machine is rebooted. In our testing environment, we enable the content expiration to expire immediately in Internet Information Services (IIS) as per image below:

They show a panel from an IIS server config where the messages were set to timeout immediately.

In IIS it is called CONTENT EXPIRATION
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc770661%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

The bits I don't quite get are as follows:-
1) If a message is set to timeout immediately then does this mean in reality 'immediately after is has been received' or something else
2) Can we set this ourselves in a flow?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: HTTP Content Expiration Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

smdavies99 wrote:
I'm currently trying to understand the following (from a spec)
Quote:

When setting up the HTTP Response for XXX make sure that the HTTP Header includes an expiration time. Otherwise the HTTP message that is sent back to machine that is hosting YYY/Server will live until the machine is rebooted. In our testing environment, we enable the content expiration to expire immediately in Internet Information Services (IIS) as per image below:

They show a panel from an IIS server config where the messages were set to timeout immediately.

In IIS it is called CONTENT EXPIRATION
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc770661%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

The bits I don't quite get are as follows:-
1) If a message is set to timeout immediately then does this mean in reality 'immediately after is has been received' or something else
2) Can we set this ourselves in a flow?

I would expect this to be a specific IIS feature that needs to be set in IIS.

From your description I understood that the content, once received would live in IIS forever until it is expired. I would expect that the setting of the expire upon receipt is being set as an IIS feature.
mgk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

This is a feature of base HTTP, rather than IIS - see section "14.21" in RFC 2616 about here: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#page-127 which talks about the HTTP "Expires" header. This is also mentioned in the first sentence of the TechNet article you mentioned: "Configure the HTTP expires response header when you want to specify the expiration of Web content" although it is easy to miss it.

To set this in an HTTPReply node, simply create an "Expires" field in an "HTTPReplyHeader" parser to the date you want before the HTTPRReply node.

Kind regards,
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Thanks for setting me straight.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Many thanks for the information. I'll be giving it a try later today.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » HTTP Content Expiration
Jump to: