ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » V8.0.0.1 in Server MSCS environment

V8.0.0.1 in Server MSCS environment « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: V8.0.0.1 in Server MSCS environment Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

I'm doing a POC for upgrading some of our system to MQ 8.0.0.x.
These systems are currently running MQ 7.0.1.x/Broker 7.0.0.x in a Winsows Server 2008R2 MSCS Environment

I setup a series of VM to replicate the existing systems. Then I went through a series of steps to delete the broker, uninstall the broker software and then uninstall the MQ 7 Software leaving the queue manager there so it could be upgraded when I started it under V8 for the first time.

I installed V8.0.0.0 on both nodes and the applied the 8.0.0.1 FixPack.
On the node where the QMGR was originally created, the QMGR was seen by 'dspmq' and was able to be started ok. so far so good.

Now I wanted to put it under cluster control. This is where I get stuck.

I ran

Code:

haregtyp /r

on both nodes from a command window with Admin priv

But the IBM MQSeries MSCS' resource is nowhere to be found when trying to add the resource to the cluster. It is still not there after a reboot.

This page describes what I was trying to do. All pretty standard really.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q018010_.htm

Has anyone seen any similar issues with V8? If so how were they over come.

My next step is to try the whole thing again with V7.5.0.3 and see if I run into similar issues.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Do you have norton antivirus on those boxes? It does not play very well with MSCS clustering...
What is the output of amqmsysn.exe ?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The POC is being done on a set of VM's. No AV is installed on any of them.

The amqmsysn.exe output is a problem. When I press 'To File' I get a panel that comes up saying 'Why Can't I get help from this program'. Doh!

Looking at the list, I see a valid version number against everything apart from the following.

AMQLTMV4.DLL
AMQLTMCC.DLL
MQZSD.DLL

Is there some .exe or .dll that I should be looking for?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You should double-check the support for Broker v8 against MQ v8 - with IBM directly.

I'm a little confused by your procedure. Did uninstalling MQ remove the MSCS resource? Or did you remove the qmgr from MSCS control before you uninstalled MQ?

I would confirm that you can start the queue manager under v8 successfully, if you haven't.

Also, just for grins, it's worth double-checking that you ran a custom installation of MQ v8 and didn't miss any needed feature.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I'm going to run IIB 9.0.0.3 but I'm not at that stage yet. There was a note releases not long ago detailing what versions of Broker 8 and 9 work with MQ 8. Butr as I said, I'm trying to upgrade the MQ part of the cluster at the moment.
Here are the IBM announcements
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21685549&myns=swgws&mynp=OCSSNQK6&mync=E

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21685548&myns=swgws&mynp=OCSSKM8N&mync=E

The QMGR does start and I can access it from MQExplorer. The messages that were on the queues before the migration are still there.

I removed the QMGR from MSCS control before uninstalling the MQ 7 software.

Yes, I did do a custom install. I installed the V8 software into the same location as was used for the V7 plus the only option I selected was to add the Client Software to the server install. This is my normal process.

Edited to add the links to the IBM Broker & MQ 8 announcements

Last edited by smdavies99 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

and you said you rebooted....

Did the haregtyp command cause any messages to be logged to event viewer? Are there otherwise any weird messages in the event viewer around the time you ran the command?

If you re-run it, does it work this time?

I don't really have any positive solid info here, and I'm assuming you've already done the dead-simple tests, but it's always worth double-checking them, if only for the benefit of future readers.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

the haregtyp /r command produced no events in the Event viewer

Code:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator.XXX-TEST-DEMO>amqmsysn

C:\Users\Administrator.XXX-TEST-DEMO>haregtyp /r
The IBM WebSphere MQ resource and administration libraries have been successfully registered with MSCS.

C:\Users\Administrator.XXX-TEST-DEMO>

I can't see anything wrong there.

however there is no service definiton for 'IBM MQSeries' in the list of services but this may be a red herring.

mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I *think* you only get "IBM MQSeries" when you have multiple installations.

You should see an "IBM WebSphere MQ" or sommat with WebSphere in the name, instead.

So, yes, likely it's a red herring (like communism).

And, again, just to double-check the dumb things. That command console you showed was run with elevated privileges?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqjeff wrote:

And, again, just to double-check the dumb things. That command console you showed was run with elevated privileges?

Yep.

Tomorrow, I'll try a few more things and see what happens.

Firstly, I'll create two clean VM's, cluster them and install MQ8 onto a clean system.
If that works, I'll try the migration from MQ7 to MQ7.5. IF that works, I'll go onto MQ8 as Installation 2.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » V8.0.0.1 in Server MSCS environment
Jump to: