ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Port

Port « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Heena
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Port Reply with quote

Default port for MQ is 1414 then what is for WMB?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

There is no default port for WMB.

WMB is not a protocol. It does not accept messages on a single protocol, or a single port.

It accepts messages using a wide range of transports. For example, the default port that it accepts SMTP traffic on is port 25.

This forum is not a place for you to learn basic information that is readily available in the Knowledge Center for the product you are trying to learn.

GO. READ. THINK. TRY. REPEAT.
tank_n_spank
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

1414 is the default listener port. Depends if you're gonna use Web Services. The default HTTP one should be 7080 if I am not mistaken.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

you are sadly mistaken. The default port (meaning none has been specifically set) is not a single port but a range of ports in which WMB/IIB will grab the first one available...
tank_n_spank
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Ah, i thought the HTTP one was preset. Well, thank you very much for the clarification.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tank_n_spank wrote:
Ah, i thought the HTTP one was preset. Well, thank you very much for the clarification.

If you think about it, it can't be preset to a single value. This would prevent running 2 instances on the same host.
If you don't set it the instance that grabs the port first will bind to it.
The instance that starts next will query the range for the next free port...

This is why it is always a good idea to set the port once you know what will be running on your infrastructure... or you might just be connecting into the wrong environment without even knowing it...

Have fun
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tank_n_spank wrote:

There are also 2 default ranges, one for HTTP, one for HTTPS.

Unless you're using SOAP, in which case the ranges are different
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

There is no default port for WMB.

WMB does not listen for traffic on a single port.

WMB listens to traffic on many different protocols, using many different listeners.

Each listener can be configured to use a specific port, or the 'default' port that WMB uses, or the 'well known' port for the protocol if that protocol specifies one.

Talking about the default port for any given protocol as being the default port for WMB is entirely wrong.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

It's certainly as impossible to determine what port WMB is using in any given circumstance without checking the configuration as impossible as it to determine what port WMQ is using without checking the configuration.

I mean, port 1414 is the documented default port for WMQ. How many queue managers actually listen on it? Most sites I've worked on actually ban it's use because it's the first place an enterprising MQ hacker will try. Even the IBM sample configuration for IIB (i.e. the ones the samples run on) don't use that as the WMQ port.

My turn to ramble.
ramires
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

The default port for WMB can't be 1414 because that one is the default port for MQ!

Is this a test OP is doing?
tank_n_spank
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

ramires wrote:
The default port for WMB can't be 1414 because that one is the default port for MQ!

Is this a test OP is doing?

They said the 1414 port is the default one for MQ, and they were wondering what would the default port for WMB be. As the experienced members pointed out, the question is obscure and invalid.

I doubt it's gonna be on a test if the question itself is ambiguously defined, maybe they tried to rephrase it.

On a second thought, ramires, you might indeed be right!
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Always change the default port to a unique one.

Otherwise a second QM or broker on the same host will interfere with the first one.
Dave Ziegler
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

fjb_saper wrote:
you are sadly mistaken. The default port (meaning none has been specifically set) is not a single port but a range of ports in which WMB/IIB will grab the first one available...

Is that right? We were just discussing the SOAP Input node this morning and came across this (possibly oudated) information:

Quote:
Each execution group has one listener, and two ports -- one HTTP and one HTTPS. The default SOAP node port numbers are 7800 for HTTP and 7843 for HTTPS.

If you deploy the flow to multiple execution groups, you will notice that the port number is incremented for successive deployments. The message flow deployed to the first execution group would receive requests on port 7800 (by default), the next one on 7801 etc, up to the specified limit of 7842. In this scenario, you would typically use some intermediary router that listened on one port and then distributed the requests across the range of ports you are using.

I took this to mean: each distinct flow -- containing a SOAP Input node -- deployed to a given EG will still use the same starting port 7800/7843 unless I specify otherwise. And the range only comes into play if I deploy the same flow across multiple EGs.
mgk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

Quote:
Is that right?

Almost

The default for the SOAP nodes is to use the Execution Group listener. This means that each EG will get it's own port from the port range. All SOAP Input nodes in the same flow will use the port for that EG, and the port belongs to the EG, not any particular flow.

It's worth pointing out that the EG port is "sticky". This means that if an EG comes up, and finds port 7800 is in use it will try 7801, 7802 etc until it finds a free port. Once it has a port it remembers it and will try to use the sticky port the next time it restarts. Therefore, in a stable set of say 20 EGs, each will end up with its own port from the range which will remain "theirs" across restarts. However, if on a re-start an EG finds it's sticky port is not free, then it will search the range again from the bottom looking for a free port, which assuming it finds a free one, will become its "new" sticky port.

If you don't want this behaviour, you can either specify a specific "fixed" port per EG, that will cause the EG start to fail if it's not available, or you can switch the SOAP nodes to use the single "Broker Wide" listener which exposes one single port for all nodes using it, across all EGs. The Broker wide listener is the default for the HTTP Input nodes. As you may have noticed there are a lot of config options in this space, and this default for HTTP Input nodes can also be changed to use the per-EG listeners if you wish as well.

Summary:

Code:
           Default     Can Use
SOAPInput  Per-EG      Per-Broker
HTTPInput  Per-Broker  Per-EG

I hope that helps a little.

Kind regards,
Dave Ziegler
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

MGK thanks for the clarification, that makes sense.

(As soon as I get over this esql problem, I will test this out for myself.)

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Port
Jump to: