ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Cluster Validation

Cluster Validation « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
McueMart
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Cluster Validation Reply with quote

Chevalier

In the past few weeks and months, I have observed a number of 'corruptions' with our MQ clusters (which can range from 2-20 QMs).

Sometimes I have seen multiple QMGRs with the same name listed when 'display clusqmgr(*)' is run, and other times I have got RC2189 (Cluster resolution error) for seemingly no apparent reason.

I am not blaming the MQ product for all these issues - they well may have been caused by user error (due to us re-creating QMGRs etc!). We are also running at 7.5.0.2, so upgrading to 7.5.0.3 should be one of our first actions (And this is something we will do in the near future!).

Another thing I wanted to do was create a kind of 'Validate my cluster!' program - which brings me to the point of this post. Has anyone ever tried to create a program which 'programatically' validates that an MQ cluster is hunky-dory?

My thinking is that it could check a number of things:

1) Run 'DISPLAY CLUSQMGR(*)' on each QMGR and make sure the output is consistent across all QMGRS, and there aren't any repeat entries.

2) Check that CLUSTER SNDR/RECR channels are defined correctly and in an acceptable state

3) Check that the output of 'DISPLAY QUEUE(*) TYPE(QCLUSTER)' is consistent across all QMGRS. This will check that all cluster queues can successfully be 'seen' on all the QMGRs.

I would be very interested if anyone has ever attempted something like this - and if so, if they have any constructive feedback about how it can be achieved.

Many thanks!
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

McueMart wrote:
...Sometimes I have seen multiple QMGRs with the same name listed when 'display clusqmgr(*)' is run...

And you have removed the 'offending' QMIDS?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I have test queues in the cluster that I use to test the cluster. each QM has the same clustered queue, and their own local non clustered queue. One by one the script connects to a QM and tries to send messages to the local non clustered QM on each channel, then throws a burst of messages to the clustered queue. On to the next QM and repeat.

When done you've proven each QM can talk to the other via cluster channels, and you can see load balancing works.

Nothing beats actually using the cluster to prove it works. This identifies channels with problems, suspended QMs that should not be, etc.

Can it be better / more comprehensive? Sure. But it does a pretty good job in finding most common problems. Or just giving us the warm and fuzzies that all the QMs be clustering.
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

We have noted some odd cluster behavior since we moved a majority of our queue managers (including the full repositories) to 7.5.0.2. We are actually in the process of moving the full repositories to 7.5.0.3, because a PMR suggested it could potentially help with some of what we were seeing.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cluster Validation Reply with quote

Poobah

McueMart wrote:
Sometimes I have seen multiple QMGRs with the same name listed when 'display clusqmgr(*)' is run...

Do the qmgrs with the same name have the exact same QMID value?
rammer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cluster Validation Reply with quote

Partisan

bruce2359 wrote:
McueMart wrote:
Sometimes I have seen multiple QMGRs with the same name listed when 'display clusqmgr(*)' is run...

In addition to having different QMIDS check the CONNAME as you may find someone is "testing" by building a Queue Manager and hooking it upto your REPOS but using the name of an exissting QMGR. That way you can see which the offending server is. Also on 7.5 add chlauth to allow connections in from only the IP's of the Queue Managers your know about.
McueMart
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

bruce2359 wrote:

No, different QMIDs - clearly caused by QMGRs being re-created with the same name.

exerk wrote:
And you have removed the 'offending' QMIDS?

Yep - RESET CLUSTER can successfully remove them.

tczielke wrote:
We have noted some odd cluster behavior since we moved a majority of our queue managers (including the full repositories) to 7.5.0.2. We are actually in the process of moving the full repositories to 7.5.0.3, because a PMR suggested it could potentially help with some of what we were seeing.

Glad it's not just me going crazy then. Looking at the APAR list from 7503, there are a good number related to clustering so I think this will be a high priority for us.

@PeterPotkay - I like that approach a lot. I'll look at how we can automatically add something like this to our environments (Maybe in addition to validating the output of some of the runmqsc commands!).

Many thanks all!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Cluster Validation
Jump to: