ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Knowledge Center

Knowledge Center « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Esa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Knowledge Center Reply with quote

Grand Master

It seems InfoCenters have been replaced with new, slow and buggy "Knowledge Centers".

All my links to different broker version infocenters are now rerouted to "IBM Knowledge Center encountered an error."

Or Error "\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n\r\n"

Fortunately it still seems to be possible to download locally installable versions of the old style infocenters, for how long...
McueMart
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Yes - I have experienced the same.

I have a hard time understanding how they decided that switching from the Infocenter (which albeit wasn't great, but was ok), to an unbearably slow and clearly untested KnowledgeCenter was a good idea.

I imagine there are plenty of customers out there pulling their hair out about not being able to access information - in addition to all their old 'useful' links now being broker.

Terrible move IBM...
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

In the InfoCenter you used to be able to limit the scope of your search to particular chapters, which would make it possible to limit the scope of irrelevent search results. Can't see anyway to do that in this Knowledge Center thing.

Oh well, we all moaned and complained how bad InfoCenter was when it came out and we finally got used to it. In a few years I guess we will have accepted this Knowledge Center format.
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Mine doesn't even show in full screen and yes a search on JMS in message broker gives me all kinds of information. GRRRR! Wish they have an option to switch to classic like yahoo does and YES I still use yahoo.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I continually get 503 & 504 errors trying to get into the thing. I'm prepared to try and learn to love it, if only I could use it !!

PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Yup, the Knowledge Center is completely useless today. Nothing but errors and broken links and timeouts when you try and use it.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

something to beat the IBM'ers up at the Meeting in September... Unless they have sorted it out by then that is.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
iidutd
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
IBM Knowledge Center should be OK now.

The behaviour of the last few days was a sudden change after months of availability and use since the open beta at the end of 2013.

The ibm web team made some changes to the Knowledge Center environment that appear to have fixed the browsing problems. The team is continuing to monitor the application, and doing further analysis of the web logs and performance configuration to further understand what happened.

For the search (and scope) comments. You can restrict the scope to product, operating system, activity, and date. Ideas like "limit the scope of your search to particular chapters" make good feedback that can be used to add weight to proposals for enhancements to Knowledge Center and provision of information generally.

If you want to provide comments to IBM about the documentation or Knowledge Center, you can add public comments to any page in Knowledge Center, or use the Feedback link to send private feedback. All comments go to the ID team for the page (e.g. the WMQ or WMB/IIB teams), who can respond to comments in their domain and pass on comments about Knowledge Center to the Knowledge Center team.

Best Regards,
Ian
(IBM Information Development)
Disclaimer: These comments are my own, and not an official IBM statement.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

iidutd wrote:
If you want to provide comments to IBM about the documentation or Knowledge Center, you can add public comments to any page in Knowledge Center, or use the Feedback link to send private feedback.

Harder than you might think when you can't get into the site.

iidutd wrote:
Disclaimer: These comments are my own, and not an official IBM statement.

Understood entirely.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

iidutd wrote:
use the Feedback link to send private feedback.

You mean the feedback link that doesn't appear anymore? or has moved somewhere very very hard to find?

That feedback link?

Ok. It's not removed. And it's not entirely "very very hard to find".

But it's not where it was, and it's in grey text on a black background (because, of course, contrast is the enemy!) And I would never expect to look for it in a generic footer.

So it's not hard to find, it's just nowhere that I would actually look. And hard to read.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Did you actually click that feedback link? Othen than making a clicking sound, it does nothing.

The feedback I would have provided had the feedback link worked is that when I right click on a link in the Table of Contents (which pops up some proprietery menu) and select "Open in new tab", I don't expect my new tab to be IN A NEW WINDOW.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

PeterPotkay wrote:
Did you actually click that feedback link? Othen than making a clicking sound, it does nothing.

It opens a new window for me. A tiny one. Well, not a new window, exactly. An overlay text box, that greys out the rest of the content view.

Do you have Javascript enabled?

PeterPotkay wrote:
The feedback I would have provided had the feedback link worked is that when I right click on a link in the Table of Contents (which pops up some proprietery menu) and select "Open in new tab", I don't expect my new tab to be IN A NEW WINDOW.

Yeah. I dunno. I hate tabs of all kinds, personally. But, yes, if it says "open in new Tab", then it should really open a tab. It opens a new window for me, too, but I also have my browser configured to open windows instead of tabs.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

It opens a new window for me. A tiny one. Well, not a new window, exactly. An overlay text box, that greys out the rest of the content view.

Do you have Javascript enabled?

Yup.

mqjeff wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

Yeah. I dunno. I hate tabs of all kinds, personally. But, yes, if it says "open in new Tab", then it should really open a tab. It opens a new window for me, too, but I also have my browser configured to open windows instead of tabs.

Regular links open in new tabs correctly. Its that funky menu they use when you right click on the link in the Table Of Contents pane that has issues.

OK, both these things work correctly in Firefox. But in IE8, no joy. Looks like they didn't test it against IE8.
Esa
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It seems that the knowledge centers are broken again...
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I find that google searches seem to result in the KC home page. I guess this is because the old infocenter search result links no longer work.

I don't know if google will start to show direct KC links in the future, but I don't like having to repeat my search inside the KC.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Knowledge Center
Jump to: