ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » What impact for performance after increasing message size?

What impact for performance after increasing message size? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bjbxd
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: What impact for performance after increasing message size? Reply with quote

Hi,

My application team tell me they will use more bigger size for MQ message, average size from 1024 bytes change to 14400 bytes, I worry about how is the performance impact. We use MQ for z/OS.

Anyone have experience on this? or if there are any benchmark test data can be shared? Many thanks...

Bob.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

There are performance reports. It all depends on what they are doing with the messages... Are there large units of work? Are these msgs going across channels? With SSL?
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Generally speaking if you need to move 14K worth of data then it is more efficient to send one 14K message than 14 1K messages.

Cheers,
Paul.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Paul,
I was under the impression that MQ is optimized for moving small messages quickly, and you are better off sending more smaller messages than 1 big one. For example, its better to send 100 independent messages that are 1 MB in length instead of lumping all that data into a single 100 MB message.
True?
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi Peter,

Yes that is true. 100MB are generally bad news for a number of reasons. Personally I would tend to advise that you try and keep messages to no bigger that 1MB if you can. Of course the exact limits change release on release which is one of the reasons it is worth looking at the performance reports. However as a general rule of thumb you are best to avoid the extremes. Don't send really small messages and don't send really big messages. The problem with small messages is really just one of CPU. It costs about the same amount of CPU to put a 1 byte message to a queue as it does to put a 10K message to a queue.

Cheers,
Paul.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I'd expect to see little increase in CPU, given that z/OS is usually provisioned with lots and lots of central storage (RAM), processors

Moving 14K messages will take more I/O to disk - if messages are logged, or if messages are not consumed quickly (messages will be flushed to pagesets). z/OS usually has quite large bandwidth for DASD (disk) I/O, so I don't expect to see a dramatic increase in DASD delays with 14K messages.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
Moving 14K messages will take more I/O to disk

Bruce,

I'm not sure quite what you are saying here. Surely you are not saying that one 14K message will take more I/O than 14 1K messages.

Cheers,
Paul.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Nope. Sorry. I was going back to the OP, which pondered the additional workload of going from best tricks 1 k to 14k messages - on z/OS WMQ. I/O is one of zArchitecture's best tricks.
bjbxd
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our CICS transactions on z/OS put the message into remote queue which is on AIX, yes, these msgs going across channel, without SSL.

From the performance report, the data looks ok, do you think it can be reference for our situation? thanks..

JosephGramig wrote:
There are performance reports. It all depends on what they are doing with the messages... Are there large units of work? Are these msgs going across channels? With SSL?
bjbxd
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ops, not large UOW..

bjbxd wrote:
Our CICS transactions on z/OS put the message into remote queue which is on AIX, yes, these msgs going across channel, without SSL.

From the performance report, the data looks ok, do you think it can be reference for our situation? thanks..

JosephGramig wrote:

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » What impact for performance after increasing message size?
Jump to: