ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Changing permission on "active" log directory

Changing permission on "active" log directory « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Boomn4x4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Changing permission on "active" log directory Reply with quote

Disciple

I have a monitoring tool that I would like to keep an eye on the /var/opt/log/qmgr/active directory to make sure that it isn't filling up with logs for a queue manager with linear logging. The monitor runs via a non mqm user and the active directory has 770 permissions. Would there be any harm in modifying that directories permissions to 774 so that the monitor can check the disk usage for that directory?
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Generally speaking it is not a good idea to change the 'default' permissions on any MQ-related directory. Do not your UNIX Admins monitor file system usage already? Cannot your 'requirement' be added to their existing monitoring if so?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

exerk wrote:
Generally speaking it is not a good idea to change the 'default' permissions on any MQ-related directory.

Please allow me to toss in my US$0.02.

It is a worst-practice to change permissions set by the installation process. Doing so becomes a bad habit; which, in turn, leads to many self-inflicted problems.
PGBuff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21446338

It might be helpful to understand the "Why do some WebSphere MQ directories under /var/mqm have world write access?"
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing permission on "active" log directory Reply with quote

Poobah

Boomn4x4 wrote:
I have a monitoring tool that I would like to keep an eye on the /var/opt/log/qmgr/active directory...

Interesting path...that's not a default location for MQ logs.

Anyway, why not just monitor a higher level to which 'world' does have read access?

Code:

>pwd
/var/mqm/log

>ls -l
total 4
drwxrwsr-x 3 mqm mqm 4096 Mar 20 13:35 PETERQM

>du -sh PETERQM
1.2G    PETERQM

shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing permission on "active" log directory Reply with quote

Grand Master

Boomn4x4 wrote:
..on the /var/opt/log/qmgr/active directory..

as PeterPotkay has mentioned correctly, it is not the default location of the active logs of mq qmgr.,
in addition to that... in some of the scenarios and cases it is not necessary that it has to be set at default location but to a different mount point (custom to the client's environment).
But yes.. I agree.. it is an Interesting path.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Adding read access to logs is no big deal in my view.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
Adding read access to logs is no big deal in my view.

But just what are you going to be reading in the /active directory? Or do you mean read access to the directory?
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Whoops, I meant error logs... but yes, in the case of transactional logs access to the directory would be enough.
tczielke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

Based on the directory naming convention, the environment here sounds like Unix/Linux. One option is to leave the permissions as 770 for the /var/opt/log/qmgr/active directory, but set up a sudo rule so that the monitor id can run as mqm for running the du command on that directory.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Changing permission on "active" log directory
Jump to: