ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program

delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqlover
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Disciple

HI,

I have the similar problem mentioned in the below link.
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54567&sid=9e20d613019b8ed338eddf9ca18e23a8

We have a setup such a way that our AS400 qmgr and AIX qmgr are in cluster.
The AS400 program tries to put a msg to a local queue residing on AIX qmgr, the msgs are like transactions at 5TPS, we are recently finding some 10secs of delay for few msgs not for all.
As per my analysis, i think a lock is created on the connection handle which blocks the incoming msgs for a while.
How do I resolve this?
This is very critical as this is a banking application.

Thanks in advance
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Is the delay with the putting app? The sender channel (messages sit in xmitq on qmgr where the creating app runs)? The consuming app?

Are all msgs persistent ?
mqlover
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Disciple

Thanks.
The delay is causing by the putting msg application.
They are not persistant msgs. The msgs are coming from an external system through AS400 adapter, and then the AS400 application puts the msg into the queue which is in Unix qmgr.
I have found out that MQPUT in AS400 application is causing the delay.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Poobah

mqlover wrote:

You mean that the actual MQPUT call is causing the delay? How did you determine this?

Or do you mean that the application that uses the MQPUT call is causing the delay? What else does the application do before it MQPUTs the message? Database calls?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
mqlover wrote:

You mean that the actual MQPUT call is causing the delay? How did you determine this?

Or do you mean that the application that uses the MQPUT call is causing the delay? What else does the application do before it MQPUTs the message? Database calls?

May be the MQPUT is being done within SYNCPOINT and it takes that long between the Put and the commit?
mqlover
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Disciple

Thanks.
So to overcome this kind of situation, should I be using a MQPUT and then MQCMIT?.
So a put is done and later a commit is done?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

If a message is mqput inside a unit of work, it will not be consumable by any application until the app MQCMITs .
mqlover
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Disciple

Well, its a non persistant msgs, so does the usage of MQCMIT work?
Would it not cause any further delay in the put application?

Thanks in advance
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqlover wrote:
Thanks.
So to overcome this kind of situation, should I be using a MQPUT and then MQCMIT?.
So a put is done and later a commit is done?

It really depends on the application. If the application is JMS J2EE based, the J2EE server may supersede any transaction handling you are setting in the JMS code... The transaction setting is done via configuration of MDB's...
Have fun ...
mqlover
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Disciple

The puttng application is an AD400 application.
The AS400 application calls the default MQPUT1 program and puts the message to the queue.
So I am worried whether using MQCMIT would help or not.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Does the application put messages in units of work? Does the application MQCMIT after each MQPUT (or MQPUT1)?

Is this a new application? Did it work successfully (without delays) before?

What has changed in the application? What is the compile date/time?
mqlover
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Disciple

bruce2359 wrote:
Does the application put messages in units of work? Does the application MQCMIT after each MQPUT (or MQPUT1)?

Is this a new application? Did it work successfully (without delays) before?

What has changed in the application? What is the compile date/time?

No the application does not do MQCMIT after each MQPUT.
Yeah it was working successfully since october, even now it works, but only sometimes a delay of 10secs is observed. We have been observing since few days.
The delay happens max five times a day, not more than that.
As the transactions involve debit/credit this is considered as a major issue and need to be resolved.
There were no changes in the application since the time the testing started.
mqlover
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program Reply with quote

Disciple

After few tests now I have found out that the delay happens in MQCONN.
i.e if 6txns/s are sent, then the application is able to put 5txns/s but for the 6th transaction there is a delay observed.
And now I found out that this delay happens because of MQCONN, i.e there is delay in MQCONN.
How could this be resolved?
I feel this is not relate to any syncpoint.

Thanks in advance.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Do you really have to do an MQCONN/MQOPEN/MQPUT/MQCMIT/MQCLOSE/MQDISC for every message?

most apps I've ever written keep the Queue Manager Handle (as returned from MQCONN) and the Queue Handle (As returned from MQOPEN) and reuse them in the future MQPUT/MQCMIT operations.

Over the years I've found that MQCONN is the most expensive in terms of time taken so that is why I don't re-intit the QMGR or Queue handles for every message.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

What else can you tell us about the application?

Is it a client-bindings app? Or server-bindings app? Does the app execute in same o/s instance as the qmgr? Or is the qmgr across the network somewhere?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » delay in putting msgs to the queue from AS400 program
Jump to: