ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQRC 2161 MQRC_Q_MGR_QUIESCING

MQRC 2161 MQRC_Q_MGR_QUIESCING « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Boomn4x4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: MQRC 2161 MQRC_Q_MGR_QUIESCING Reply with quote

Disciple

What is the benefit of MQPMO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING?

According to the documentation, the QPUT QGET can still complete if the QMGR is quiescing. Is there a risk of the message getting lost? Should I take that MQPMO parameter out and just let the API put messages on the queue if quiescing? What are the risks (if any) of doing so?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: MQRC 2161 MQRC_Q_MGR_QUIESCING Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Boomn4x4 wrote:
What is the benefit of MQPMO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING?

It allows the administrator to quiesce the queue manager.

Boomn4x4 wrote:
According to the documentation, the QPUT QGET can still complete if the QMGR is quiescing.

The option MQPMO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING doesn't pertain to a Get call but to a Put call.

Boomn4x4 wrote:
Is there a risk of the message getting lost?

No. The message is still in your application (because the put will fail with a 2161 reason code). You get to handle it anyway you want.

Boomn4x4 wrote:
Should I take that MQPMO parameter out and just let the API put messages on the queue if quiescing?

No.

Boomn4x4 wrote:
What are the risks (if any) of doing so?

You're reliant on the MQ admin knowing he needs to stop your application before he quiesces the queue manager. If the application doesn't close down & disconnect when the MQ admin asks it to, he will have no option but to do something more drastic to close it down. At this point there's a risk of message loss as the application is forceably disconnected from the queue manager, possibly in the middle of an operation.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I agree with the Vitor's answer with the exception of

Quote:
Boomn4x4 wrote:
Should I take that MQPMO parameter out and just let the API put messages on the queue if quiescing?

No.

Which I would change to 'It depends'.

The key thing about MQRC 2161 MQRC_Q_MGR_QUIESCING is that when it is received by an application the application should do it's utmost to end and disconnect promptly. However, there is no crime in finishing off what you are doing. So, if the application was in the middle of responding to an application and trying to put the reply then I see no reason why it should not take out the parameter, re-issue the put and then end. If, however, the application is in the middle of something and it will take a long time to complete then 'yes' it should probably back-out the current transaction and end. Of course, even this is too simplistic and may depend on the application's HA characteristics. For example, if an application gets MQRC 2161 MQRC_Q_MGR_QUIESCING then the right thing to do might be to disconnect, then reconnect (possibly to an alternative Queue Manager) and then re-issue the MQPUT. The bottom line is that MQPMO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING is an MQPUT option so that the application has the choice about what to do in this situation. If there was a blanket rule that no applications should put messages when the queue manager is quiescing then the option wouldn't exist.

As for losing messages when the Queue Manager is ended then the application should take precautions if that is a concern. The beauty of messaging is that it gives the application easy access to transactions and persistence so it is up to application to decide how recoverable it's data is.

Regards,
Paul.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Developers are responsible for catching any and all exceptions, and taking appropriate action.

The _FAIL_IF_QUIESCING option on MQI calls allows the app to discover that the queue-manager is being quiesced, and to end the application gracefully.

An application that chooses to continue continue processing may be cancelled by the sysadmin.

WMQ does not lose messages. Messages within transactions in-flight (in syncpoint) when the qmgr is terminated will be rolled back at qmgr restart.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQRC 2161 MQRC_Q_MGR_QUIESCING
Jump to: