ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » C++ MQCONNX not works as expected

C++ MQCONNX not works as expected « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
xeonix
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: C++ MQCONNX not works as expected Reply with quote

Apprentice

Greetings to everyone!

Since there are no standard command-line utility to get current queue depth and output it to stdout, I decided to write my own.

Compiler: Microsoft Visual C++ 2012

Target app is Win32 though.

Since my app should be able to connect to remote queue managers, I have to use MQCONNX function from "cmqcfc.h" header. For the sample I took "amqscnxc.c" from "<install_path>\WebSphere MQ\tools\c\Samples", which fits my requirements best and simple enough to quickly inspect the code and understand, how the API should be used.

So first I created simple app to play around with the MQ C API. First, I need to establish connection to the queue manager "MYQM":

Code:

#include "stdafx.h"

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <cmqc.h>
#include <cmqxc.h>

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]) {
   MQLONG completionCode, resonCode;
   MQHCONN connectionHandle;

MQCD connectionDescriptor = { MQCD_CLIENT_CONN_DEFAULT };
   connectionDescriptor.TransportType = MQXPT_TCP;
   connectionDescriptor.Version = MQCD_VERSION_4;

strcpy(connectionDescriptor.ChannelName, "SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN");
   strcpy(connectionDescriptor.ConnectionName, "<IP_OF_MQSERVER>(1414)");

MQCNO connectionOptions = { MQCNO_DEFAULT };

connectionOptions.Version = MQCNO_VERSION_2;
   connectionOptions.ClientConnPtr = &connectionDescriptor;

MQCONNX("MYQM", &connectionOptions, &connectionHandle, &completionCode, &resonCode);
   return 0;
}

Quite simple, right? But when running on remote machine (comparing to <IP_OF_MQSERVER>) with another MQ installation of the same version (which means, that all client components are installed with it too) I'm getting:
completionCode = 2
resonCode = 2058

All permissions are granted, and MQ Explorer is able to connect to remote QMgr with same settings (IP, port, channel and queue manager name) I provided in code above.
What is interesting - "amqscnxc" sample app is able to connect with same settings (when passing arguments: -x <IP_OF_MQSERVER>(1414) -c SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN MYQM). The way it uses the API is the same I posted above. So I decided to create project from "amqscnxc.c" and to build sample app "amqscnxc" myself. After successful build I ran the app with arguments I passed earlier to it's original version... and got same "Completion Code : 2, Reason Code: 2058". I didn't modify any line of code in "amqscnxc.c" file, just created "Win32 Console Application", configured includes and lib imports, copied file "amqscnxc.c" into the project and build, but got COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BEHAVIOR OF THE SAME CODE.

MQ version is 7.5.0.2 on both machines, if that matters.

So, how do I connect to remote queue manage in the same way MQ Explorer do?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

I think that might be incorrect when you state that you must use the MQCONNX function. (I'm a little rusty here)

You can use the standard MQCONN, MQOPEN etc functions. All you need to do to make you app a client app (as opposed to a server app) is to change the libraries you link to. Well, that is how it used to be done with the "C" bindings.

Get your app working as a direct connection then relink as a client.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
xeonix
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

smdavies99 wrote:
I think that might be incorrect when you state that you must use the MQCONNX function. (I'm a little rusty here)

You can use the standard MQCONN, MQOPEN etc functions. All you need to do to make you app a client app (as opposed to a server app) is to change the libraries you link to. Well, that is how it used to be done with the "C" bindings.

Get your app working as a direct connection then relink as a client.

The reason I decided to use MQCONNX is because I can specify IP(PORT) and CHANNEL thru MQCNO.MQCD structure, while MQCONN has no such option.
As far as I understand, functions to work with MQ's objects, such as MQOPEN, MQINQ, etc. doesn't care how do I connect to queue manager (using MQCONN or MQCONNX), the just need valid MQHCONN (connection handle).

AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR WOW!
As you suggested to check linked libs, I've inspected "amqscnxc.pdb" which is located in "<install_path>\WebSphere MQ\tools\c\Samples\Bin\symbols\exe", and yes, it links to "mqic.Lib", not to "mqm.Lib" like I did! So after I changed the library my app is linked to - it's worked like a charm!

Many thanks to you, man!
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

2058 usually means the queue manager name specified in the connection does not exactly match the queue manager name that is accepting the connection.
xeonix
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

gbaddeley wrote:
2058 usually means the queue manager name specified in the connection does not exactly match the queue manager name that is accepting the connection.

Typically yes, but in my case the problem was completely different. That's why I was stuck with that error until smdavies99's incredibly useful hint.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » C++ MQCONNX not works as expected
Jump to: