ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » OAM issue for mq objects on multi instance queue maanger

OAM issue for mq objects on multi instance queue maanger « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
kalali
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: OAM issue for mq objects on multi instance queue maanger Reply with quote

I have two multi instance queue managers with same name on node 1 and node 2 on windows 2008 servers. These queue managers share the same data and log files on a SAN disk. At any point of time one of the queue manager will be active.

Recently, I have created few mq objects and provided Permissions(OAM) on node1 queue manager. When i stopped the queue manager on node1, queue manager on node2 became active and i could see the mq objects which were created in node1 are available in node2.

However, permissions which i provided for mq objects for a particular user on node1 is not reflected in node2.

below are few more details:
MQ version: 7.0.1
Operating system: Windows 2008 servers
user id: user id created as a local user with domain group.

I expect the permissions which we gave in node1 to reflect in node2 automatically.

can any one help me out to know why the permissions(OAM)is not reflected in node2.

Thanks in advance.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Local 'UserApple' on server 1 is not the same as local ID 'UserApple' on server 2, even though the names look exactly the same. The Windows SIDs are different for both these IDs and MQ stores the permissions against the SID.

Use a domain user account, not local IDs.
kalali
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.
actually, the user UserApple is in the group usergroup(usergroup being in domain) and OAM which i provided on node1 is for the group "usergroup".

Below is the command which i ran on node1.
setmqaut -m QMGRNAME -n Queuename -t queue -g usergroup +browse +get +inq +put

Does it still mean that the above OAM wont be reflected in node2.

Thanks for your time.
Tibor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Have you refreshed the OAM cache? Without REFRESH SECURITY, the queue manager cannot identify the changes in group / user membership.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Are both UserApple from Server1 and UserApple from Server2 in that domain group?

As Tibor said, if group memberships change after you ran a setmqaut command you need to refresh MQ security so the new group memberships are recognized.

You should fully qualify that domain group in the setmqaut command in case the same group name exists in another domain or locally on one of your servers.

Save yourself some grief - make UserBanana a domain ID and grant permissions against the domain ID.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

PeterPotkay wrote:
Are both UserApple from Server1 and UserApple from Server2 in that domain group?

As Tibor said, if group memberships change after you ran a setmqaut command you need to refresh MQ security so the new group memberships are recognized.

You should fully qualify that domain group in the setmqaut command in case the same group name exists in another domain or locally on one of your servers.

Save yourself some grief - make UserBanana a domain ID and grant permissions against the domain ID.

Peter,

If you are telling them to do:
Code:
setmqaut -m <QmgrName> -g group@domain bla bla bla

Then that will not work as WMQ resolves all groups locally and if they aren't local, it respond with "AMQ7026: A principal or group name was invalid".
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Does your mq service ID have permissions against the Domain to query domain group membership?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

JosephGramig wrote:
Peter,

If you are telling them to do:
Code:
setmqaut -m <QmgrName> -g group@domain bla bla bla

Then that will not work as WMQ resolves all groups locally and if they aren't local, it respond with "AMQ7026: A principal or group name was invalid".

I always used fully qualified principles and not groups on Windows only, so I don't have any experience with using fully qualified domains in the setmqaut command, but check this link out:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.mq.ref.adm.doc/q083500_.htm
Quote:

-g GroupName
The name of the user group for which to change authorizations. You can specify more than one group name, but each name must be prefixed by the -g flag.
For WebSphere MQ for Windows only, the group name can optionally include a domain name, specified in the following formats:
GroupName@domain
domain\GroupName

kalali
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tibor,

I didn't do a security refresh rather restarted the queue manager on node2. I believe if we restart the queue manager, i wont need to refresh security explicitly.

Even after the queue manager restart, i couldn't find the OAM on node2.

Issue was fixed, once i execute the OAM and refreshed security on node2 queue manager(same OAM command which was executed on node1).

My main intention of posting this question here is to know the actual reason why the OAM was missing on node2
kalali
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

[You should fully qualify that domain group in the setmqaut command in case the same group name exists in another domain or locally on one of your servers. ]

i think its a gud practice to follow your recommendation. Going forward, we will consider this point.

do you have any idea how the mq in windows stores authorisations when permissions are granted against a group. Does it still store the authorisations against the SID of the user id's in the group to which we granted permissions?

As per the below link, permissions when granted for a user id will be stored against the SID of the user id. I wonder if the mq behavior is same even when we provide permissions against group.[http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/1003_mismes/1003_mismes.html]
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

kalali wrote:

Issue was fixed, once i execute the OAM and refreshed security on node2 queue manager(same OAM command which was executed on node1)

And did you fail back to Node 1 at that point to see if things still worked there?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

kalali wrote:

Issue was fixed, once i execute the OAM and refreshed security on node2 queue manager(same OAM command which was executed on node1)

And if you dump the authorizations on node1 you will see the group authorized on node 1 and a sid number authorized as well. Same thing happens when you look at the group authorization dump on node 2.

What you have done is authorize the local group on each node. The SID # is just the same group on the other node....

Your mq service ID needs to have the permissions to look up the Domain group membership (this is set up in a policy on the domain server as presumably your mq service account is a domain account).

Then when doing your authorizations you need to specify the domain group (group@domain). This way you should only need to define the authorization on a single node and have it work also on the other node.

Have fun
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

kalali,

Would you repeat the setmqaut command again and specify the qualified group name?

Both the WMQ 7.1 and 7.5 manuals say that you can specify "-g group@domain" or "-g domain\group".

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/topic/com.ibm.mq.doc/fa15980_.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/topic/com.ibm.mq.doc/sc15060_.htm

This didn't work for me at the latest fix pack of 7.1 last week, but maybe there was some other issue. For me, the command failed.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

And for V 7.5 make sure you have the right groupModel in the Security Stanza. (Browse the infocenter for it) (globalGroups?)
Have fun
kalali
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies. It really helped to understand the issue better.

Finally, i got to know the root cause of the issue.

in WIndows, MQ stores authourisations against the SID of the user id and the user id's which we created were local. So its obvious that the setmqauth command executed on node1 will not reflect on node2 as the SID of the user will be different on node1 and node2.

as peter suggested, its always better to create the user id as a domain rather a local user. If we create the user id as a doman, authorisations given on node1 will be reflected on node2.

Thanks for all your time.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » OAM issue for mq objects on multi instance queue maanger
Jump to: