ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Blockip exit on MQ 7.5

Blockip exit on MQ 7.5 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqjava
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Blockip exit on MQ 7.5 Reply with quote

Voyager

Hello, currently we have mq 7.0.1.6 as primary install on AIX and we installed MQ 7.5 in a different location. Currently the blockip exits works from the MQ 7.5 queue manager, what will happen if MQ 7.0.1.6 is uninstalled? Will the blockip exit stop working after MQ 7.0.1.6 uninstall?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Depending on the exact use you make of BlockIP2, it has pretty much been superseded by the native CHLAUTH facility built into WMQ V7.1 onward.
mqjava
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Thanks for the reply. I understand MQ 7.5 has the inbuilt feature to block ip address. But my question is after uninstalling MQ 7.0.1.6 the old lib files will be gone, will Blockip exit look for the lib file in old location and fail?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mqjava wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I understand MQ 7.5 has the inbuilt feature to block ip address. But my question is after uninstalling MQ 7.0.1.6 the old lib files will be gone, will Blockip exit look for the lib file in old location and fail?

Logic dictates that if BlockIP2 is using the 'old' lib files it will cease to work if they aren't there...but as I'm more often wrong than right I suggest contacting the author of BlockIP2 and asking if he can shed any light on the subject
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjava wrote:

Why would you want to use WMQv7.5 and BlockIP2?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
mqjava wrote:

I suspect the answer might be "...because we don't want to redefine what already works, and/or CHLAUTH doesn't do everything BlockIP2 does..."?
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
Vitor wrote:
mqjava wrote:

I suspect the answer might be "...because we don't want to redefine what already works, and/or CHLAUTH doesn't do everything BlockIP2 does..."?

Which is possibly correct and will be an issue when WMQv7.n / WMQv8 doesn't work with BlockIP2. I suspect the urge to maintain it may have slackened off just a hair....
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
exerk wrote:
Vitor wrote:
mqjava wrote:

Which is possibly correct and will be an issue when WMQv7.n / WMQv8 doesn't work with BlockIP2. I suspect the urge to maintain it may have slackened off just a hair....

I think we've both been at sites where 'nothing must be changed unless absolutely necessary on upgrade', and seen it bite them in the backside very soon down the road...
mqjava
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

exerk wrote:
mqjava wrote:

Logic dictates that if BlockIP2 is using the 'old' lib files it will cease to work if they aren't there...but as I'm more often wrong than right I suggest contacting the author of BlockIP2 and asking if he can shed any light on the subject

Thank You.
zpat
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

CLAUTH does not offer all the function of BlockIP2. We certainly could not remove the exit as it stands.

However I don't see a reason to remove our WMQ 701.x installation either for a considerable time yet.

Hopefully IBM will continue to enhance the CLAUTH feature.
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

zpat wrote:
CLAUTH does not offer all the function of BlockIP2. We certainly could not remove the exit as it stands.

However I don't see a reason to remove our WMQ 701.x installation either for a considerable time yet.

Hopefully IBM will continue to enhance the CLAUTH feature.

Did you make clear to IBM what is missing compared to current use of BlockIP?
did you raise RFE's? so can we vote on them?

MQSystems Facebook page
zpat
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I've had a chat with someone from Hursley when they visited us last month.

Not raised formal RFEs so far. It would be a good idea.
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

zpat wrote:
I've had a chat with someone from Hursley when they visited us last month.

Not raised formal RFEs so far. It would be a good idea.

What is missing according to your usage?

MQSystems Facebook page
zpat
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

One important one is the ability to specify a userid mask in fields like CLNTUSER or USERLIST. So that one can apply the rule to all userids starting with a certain prefix (for example) in a single rule.

Also I don't know how CHLAUTH handles blank userids (commonly passed by java applications). I would like to be able to map these to another id but based on their IP addresses. In other words when a blank id comes from IP address 1 - map it to id X, and when a blank id comes from IP address 2 - map it to id Y. Otherwise don't allow blank ids - etc.

To be honest, until the well-known requirement of DNS names (as well as IP numbers) is implemented, I am not even going to try to migrate.
Tibor
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Vitor wrote:

There is no channel activity logging capability in MQ v7.5. We use BlockIP only for this purpose

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Blockip exit on MQ 7.5
Jump to: